Author Topic: Boxbutte  (Read 20228 times)

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Boxbutte
« Reply #150 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:34 AM »
Any pointers for the walleye in Boxbutte.

Walleyes feed when it is dark - pike don't feed much when it is dark.  Fish last light into the night and before it gets light in the morning.

Good fishing,
Keith

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #151 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Water clarity is around 4'. Better than Walgren at 2 but less than Shell at 6or more. By the way I made Ceviche from my pike from tues and it turned out awsome! If you have never tried it search for the recipe, there a lot of ways to make it. Just be sure to drain, rinse the lime juice before adding other ingredients and then put back in refrig for a couple hours..

Offline pumpnlead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:01 PM »
We'll be up there tomorrow in a snow camo otter, just a couple of us. Headed to the west end, stop by and bs if you want to.

Offline jtjjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Sounds great!!! We should be there bright and early in the a.m. let's hope for some great fishing and good ice..

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:05 PM »
walleye dont only feed when its dark. they feed any time of day they are hungry. they go on binges in the winter and when they eat, they eat. its a matter of finding them on the right day at the right time. the tactics for walleye fishing i use are quite a bit different than the ones i use for pike fishing, but i have picked eyes up fishing for northerns. to be honest, i have seen way more walleye caught durring the day than i have in the evening or night time hours. go with a smaller minnow on your tip ups and fish deeper water and move shallower until you find the fish. jigging raps work really well for walleye, but its still a matter of finding the fish.

Offline pumpnlead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:00 PM »
I know the ice is good, we won't be down there till 9.

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #156 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:07 AM »
If you're looking to catch walleye head up to Whitney by Chadron. They're a blast under tip ups during the day. And POO POO to walleye only feed at night. I've caught them in 100+ degree heat, in the middle of july just afternoon in Kansas in 3' of water. I think they get pigeon holed into 8-20' of water in low light conditions. Myabe I'm just lucky but had numerous 50+ fish days in Wisconsin and Kansas in the heat of the day. Find what they're eating and you'll catch fish.

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:40 AM »
If you're looking to catch walleye head up to Whitney by Chadron. They're a blast under tip ups during the day. And POO POO to walleye only feed at night. I've caught them in 100+ degree heat, in the middle of july just afternoon in Kansas in 3' of water. I think they get pigeon holed into 8-20' of water in low light conditions. Myabe I'm just lucky but had numerous 50+ fish days in Wisconsin and Kansas in the heat of the day. Find what they're eating and you'll catch fish.
thats been my experience also. ive caught them after dark, but not in near the quanity as durring the day. ive caught them in 3 feet of water also, at local lakes here in nebraska, in the heat of the day in july. walleye in the lakes around here are just weird. theres hardly any structure to most of the lakes so theres really no way to pinpoint them. just keep moving all day until you find them. ice fishing after dark is almost more trouble than its worth unless you come REALLY prepared

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Had a great day on the ice. Iced 4 pike..18 -26 in and over 20 perch 6 - 10in. Another group had 14 pike.
Ice is still a good 9in

Offline pumpnlead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Where was everyone today? Snowed 2+ inches, but in between flurries the pike sure got after it! Caught a 30 incher and 3  26 inchers.

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #160 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Had a couple nice ones yesterday a 34 and 28 on smelt I let freeze with Italian dressing and garlic  I caught a 32 inch last year on the same but a hotdog caught a few others over twenty and a lot of perch nothing to size tho may head to minatare tomarrow

Offline JUST BELOW THE ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Well i know this is a few days late but got out on Box on Sunday.  It was great to see the 5 groups out on Hunters point all had kids with them.  in all i believe there were 10 kids all learnign the ropes and watchign the flags fly! we got there around 9:00am and by 9:15 we had 4 pike on the ice.  all in all it was a great day.  19 pike (being pickled as we speak) also had a good mess of panfish!  I was crying when the wife told me it was time to go home cause the kids were tired!  I would have stayed all night!   

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Walleyes feed when it is dark - pike don't feed much when it is dark.  Fish last light into the night and before it gets light in the morning.

Good fishing,
Keith

I don't think Keith said walleye ONLY feed when it's dark.  If you are serious about icing walleye, dawn and dusk are the best times to be there. There's really no arguing that in my experience.

Offline nitrus5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:08 AM »
Headed up tomorrow, does anyone have an update on what the ice looks like?    Heard some guys only had 6-8 inches yesterday.   

Offline gulbranson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Jan 20, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Ice is good off of Hunters point. Not sure on thickness but it is good clear ice! As far as catching the BoxButte Walleye through the ice- Game On.  :tipup:

See You On The ICE!

Offline nitrus5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Walleye ?!?!  Off hunters point ?

Offline NE_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:29 AM »
12" ice Friday afternoon. Caught a bunch of nice bluegill a few bass and perch

Offline gulbranson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Jan 21, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Walleye ?!?!  Off hunters point ?

PM Sent

See You On The ICE!

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 21, 2012, 01:28 PM »
Hey now I would like these private messages of walleye In box butte haha gonna head up tomarrow snow or shine or really windy

Offline gulbranson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Jan 21, 2012, 01:50 PM »
The PM was a clarification of a previous post. And my comments where to spur on the topic of walleye through the ice.  No secret spots or deadly jigs. I have caught very few walleye through the ice at box butte and have been on a quest to figure there pattern. Tight Lines

See You On The ICE!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #170 on: Jan 21, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Still have to ice a pike on a hotdog.

Offline jtjjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #171 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:19 PM »
Any ice reports as of today?  Thinking about heading up tomorrow.

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Headed out this mourning pretty crapy day got there at 7 left at 12 with the snow and wind the edge is slushie for couple inches then good solid 12+ everywhere eles on the west end two pike and a couple bluegill

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Anyone know how the ice is holding up?

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:37 PM »
eepks. A couple buddies of mine went to boxbutte yeasterday and caught a bunch of perch pike and some nice gills. Thye said the ice was around 12 inches. There was a little standing water around the trees also.  Happy fishing

Offline coyotetrapper1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:02 PM »
My friend and I were up there today.  Fished off the boat ramps in 8 to 24 ft of water.  Caught 10 pike from 18 to 26 inches using small minnows.  The swallower holes were better.  A great day, no wind and lots of sun.  Fished from 9:30 until 2, had to leave early.  2" of snow one top of 12+" of ice.  Got snow burned, but I can put up with that.  Go get em boys.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Thanks guys!! Heading up Saturday

Offline eyeman316

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:17 AM »
I'd like to head up there Sat can anyone tell me where I can get some good minnows

Offline IceWolf89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:08 AM »
If you come through Scottsbluff there's a man on 5th ave names Scott minnow man he has great minnows 3.00 for smaller 5.00 for 4"-10" nice big ones also he has waxes crawlers gotta give him a call the night before if your gonna show up early the next am pm me if you need the number

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #179 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:43 PM »
Any one have some suggestions on finding pan fish that are bigger than bait on BB? I have tried shallow to 10' all I seem to get are dinks.
Are there crappie there? I usually target perch but maybe the smart ones are all hiding from the pike..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.