Author Topic: Camera for recording Aqua-Vu  (Read 4897 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Camera for recording Aqua-Vu
« on: Oct 19, 2009, 10:33 PM »
I am looking for a video camera that I can use to record my Aqua-Vu with.  I was wondering if anyone uses one and how well it works and/or just recommendations.  I would pay up to $200 for one thats not HD and up to $300 for an HD camera.  I am looking to use it for every day use to but I really want one to work with my Aqua-Vu because I already have a decent one I can use for every day use for the time being.  Thanks

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Camera for recording Aqua-Vu
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:21 AM »
for $99 aquavu sells a DVR that plugs into your aquavu camera and records right off it. No need to carry extra equipment it works great. It records 15 mins on its own memory and takes SD cards for increased recording time.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2009, 09:29 AM »
I bought that last year and it's a piece of crap.  It distorts the image and cuts how far you see in half.  Also you can't FWD or RWD or Pause on you computer and that stuff doesn't really work on the DVR either.  Never get it if you are any one is, it is a big waist of $150 bucks.  I wanted it to post videos on youtube and look at how fish reacted to certain things and look at strange things that go on under the ice.  That is the reason I want to get a camera to hook up to it. 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:20 AM »
I think you may have got a faulty unit. I have one and have none of the issues you mention. I can ff an rw on bothe the aquavu screen and when on
my computer. I have posted a fee clips on YouTube with no issues

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2009, 05:32 PM »
I'm still not going to get the Aqua-Vu DVR now with them being sold.  I don't want to have the same problems because I e-mailed them when I had mine and they said they were having troubles with it and not be able to send it back. 

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:06 PM »
I e-mailed them when I had mine and they said they were having troubles with it and not be able to send it back. 

That doesn't make any sense, unless it was out of warranty. 

-Jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:23 PM »
The "not able to send it back" was for the first part of the sentence.  It was I don't want to buy one from Nature Vision not knowing what is going on with them and not be able to send it because they are closed.  I bought mine from Cabela's and just sent it back after I saw it had a lot of problems.  You didn't put the who part of the quote in so you have to go back to my original post to see.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Lets not get off topic here, I am still looking for a video camera and please don't post anything more about Aqua-Vu's DVR.  I am not ragging on Nature Vision, I love the company and hate it that they are done from what I have heard.  Try to stay on the topic of the post if you can.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:28 PM »
Your sentence is very confusing, and I read it several times before replying.  I understand your reluctance to go down that road again since they have been sold, but I have to ask why you didn't exchange it at Cabelas to see if you had a bad unit?  

Nevermind..... it really doesn't matter now.

-Jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:32 PM »
I didn't think of it at the time.  I had thought they were all the same because I had asked around and almost everyone I asked used a video camera and some had the DVR first and told me they switched because of the same problems I had.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:34 PM »
Zack, if you are looking for a camera that will hold up in winter conditions I suggest the Panasonic SDR-SW20, it is waterproof, crush proof and made to hold up in winter conditions. I bought one last season for the ice and used it a few time with success

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2009, 07:05 PM »
Zack, if you are looking for a camera that will hold up in winter conditions I suggest the Panasonic SDR-SW20, it is waterproof, crush proof and made to hold up in winter conditions. I bought one last season for the ice and used it a few time with success

IJ, I bought the same camera last spring after following your posts about it.  Haven't had it on the ice yet, but used it on our annual Walleye trip to Canada this summer and it worked flawless.  It got rained on a couple of times, and didn't affect it.

My question is can you use that camera to connect to an underwater camera and record off of?  I looked at the manual and haven't seen any way to record off of an external device.

Jeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2009, 03:02 PM »
Is the Panasonic SDR-SW20 even a video camera or is it just a camera because I don't think a camera would be able to hold enough memory.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2009, 03:20 PM »
zack decker.....heres a suggestion....go to alaskaoutdoorjournal.c om and check out the video on the home page labeled coho daves high seas trolling videos....he has a underwater camera hooked up to his downrigger and trolls the saltwater....i think it mite be an aquavu but not sure....tell ya what hes got some great footage of trolling for king salmon, silver salmon, halibut, and lingcod and how they react to different baits and lures...very cool.  there are 4 or 5 videos right on the home page if you scroll down the page...
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2009, 03:26 PM »
zack decker.....heres a suggestion....go to alaskaoutdoorjournal.c om and check out the video on the home page labeled coho daves high seas trolling videos....he has a underwater camera hooked up to his downrigger and trolls the saltwater....i think it mite be an aquavu but not sure....tell ya what hes got some great footage of trolling for king salmon, silver salmon, halibut, and lingcod and how they react to different baits and lures...very cool.  there are 4 or 5 videos right on the home page if you scroll down the page...
What about a video camera?  I am looking for a video camera not video of what an aqua vu looks like.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2009, 03:34 PM »
showing you how good it works....
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2009, 07:27 AM »
The video camera needs to have a built in VTR (like a vcr) that records with A/V jack input to connect to the Aqua-vu output. Not many out there have that feature, I'm still looking for a digital camcorder that has it. I have an 8mm Sony CCD TRV82 I am using now, then covert it to digital format (kind of a pain).

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:39 AM »
The SW20 is a camcorder, i'm not sure if it can be hooked up to an aquavu as I have never tried it, I will let you know

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2009, 06:31 PM »
The SW20 is a camcorder, i'm not sure if it can be hooked up to an aquavu as I have never tried it, I will let you know

I have the SDR-SW20 and just looked at the manual.  It does not have an A/V input.  :(

-Jeff

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2009, 06:38 PM »
The video camera needs to have a built in VTR (like a vcr) that records with A/V jack input to connect to the Aqua-vu output. Not many out there have that feature, I'm still looking for a digital camcorder that has it. I have an 8mm Sony CCD TRV82 I am using now, then covert it to digital format (kind of a pain).

Webguy, glad to see you back. You have the best videos. Cant wait to see some new ones...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Jimbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Has anyone used something like a portable DVR similar to a Neuros MPEG4 Recorder? They seem like a good idea at 40-60 bucks and accept SD cards.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2009, 12:16 PM »
thanks Raquettedacker

Jimbuck, The Neuros units that I've seen are 120v plug-in (not portable or battery operated), I've seen other ones that are portable but need a 120v docking station to record. I did see an Archos at http://www.newmp3technology.com/av25.htm but the video size is only 320x240 and I'm not sure how long the battery will last out on the ice. Anyone seen one used?

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I bought a dazzle converter for my laptop. I can hook up my camera to my laptop and record as much as I want and burn it to DVD. The dazzle converts your video cable to USB to hook up to a computer. I know its alot to haul around but I fish in a shack most of the time and the setup works out great.
<

Offline Jimbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2009, 01:15 PM »
I've thought about going the dazzle route but most of my fishing is done in a one man.

Webguy, I've heard of guys using those and enjoying them. The video size is unfortunate. I know I've owned a few Archos products and while they make great stuff, the batteries got juiced pretty quick in the cold. I think lithium batteries might work better than traditional alkaline.

I guess I was thinking about making a power pack that I would be running the LEDs, camera recorder and any other accessories if need be. Sort of a power pack I guess. We'll see how it goes.

Offline ugp685

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2009, 04:58 PM »
Once you do find a compatible camcorder you should see if any of them are on sale during all the "black friday" sales....could end up getting a great deal.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.