The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Walleye in Lake Dunmore  (Read 2845 times)

Offline miknvt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How are they biting
Walleye in Lake Dunmore
« on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:44 PM »
 ???Has anyone ever caught a walleye in lake dunmore??? The state record for walleye out of Dunmore 10 + pounds 2005??
There ain't no fish in this frogpond

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Walleye in Lake Dunmore
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:48 PM »
State record is from Champlain 2010 14.55lbs

Offline miknvt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How are they biting
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:51 PM »
I have caught a few over 10 lbs myself out of champlain but I never caught or heard of anyone getting a walleye out of Dunmore. Am I missing something??
There ain't no fish in this frogpond

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 02:57 PM »
I heard back in the day they were a few, but nothing remotely recent. 
Channel cats is the recent odd fish coming out of Dunless

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:30 PM »
???Has anyone ever caught a walleye in lake dunmore??? The state record for walleye out of Dunmore 10 + pounds 2005??
Well boys and girls, I personally witnessed one being caught about half way between Waterhouses and Branbury, in 60 - 70 FOW, about 10 years ago. Probably 9 - 10 lbs. No lie. The guy was out there with his kid and said he was using fatheads, fishing on bottom (for perch I assume). I was fishing about 200 yards away in front of the boathouse and heard the commotion, and saw it flopped on the ice. I new by the color it wasn't a laker, so I ran over to see and sure enough. Big fat 'eye.  I couldn't believe it. It must have been dumped in there by someone. It seems if there was a population of them you'd here about it.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:22 PM »
          I have heard of one caught on Dunmore but i would have to see it to believe it and there is one in the books @ the fish and game list.I have heard they used to stock Glen Lake with them in the 50's but don't know for sure.I have heard someone caught one there 25 years ago or so.I think gogetthegaff ran right by it and landed in a bucket of beer.Just kidding...LOL

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:14 PM »
sure would not break my heart to have the state put some in there and put a little more pressure on the perch like they are trying to do , up and Chittenden Res.
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Dunmore, Hortonia, Bomoseen, St. Catherine  all were stocked years ago.  None of the populations took hold.  My guess is that recent bucket biologists have moved some around.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:08 PM »
I have also personally seen one  come out of dunmore. maybe 200 yards from the boat launch on the night of February 21, 2009 about 3 pounds is my guess, it was caught by some teenage kids at a derby fishing next to my group. Also one of my fishing partners that night caught a 20+ catfish that won him some money at what ever derby we were in, the cat was caught in about 18 inches of water big dead bait(we were fishing for pike)

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:10 PM »
i wouldnt go to target walleye you might be there your whole life. :%$#!:

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:21 PM »
sure would not break my heart to have the state put some in there and put a little more pressure on the perch like they are trying to do , up and Chittenden Res.
x 2. Seems like ideal habitat.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:31 PM »
          I have heard of one caught on Dunmore but i would have to see it to believe it and there is one in the books @ the fish and game list.I have heard they used to stock Glen Lake with them in the 50's but don't know for sure.I have heard someone caught one there 25 years ago or so.I think gogetthegaff ran right by it and landed in a bucket of beer.Just kidding...LOL
;D There was a time when the beer could have been to blame. For sure. @)

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:42 PM »
Look if someone throws 3 to 4 walleye in Dunmore, that's a pretty legit population in a relative sense.  Probably gives you as good a shot as the other regional walleye lakes.

Well boys and girls, I personally witnessed one being caught about half way between Waterhouses and Branbury, in 60 - 70 FOW, about 10 years ago. Probably 9 - 10 lbs. No lie. The guy was out there with his kid and said he was using fatheads, fishing on bottom (for perch I assume). I was fishing about 200 yards away in front of the boathouse and heard the commotion, and saw it flopped on the ice. I new by the color it wasn't a laker, so I ran over to see and sure enough. Big fat 'eye.  I couldn't believe it. It must have been dumped in there by someone. It seems if there was a population of them you'd here about it.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:29 AM »
A friend used to rent a camp on Dunmore for 2 weeks every summer. late 80's early 90's..and they had several runins with big cats...no walleyes though

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:21 AM »
some have been in there for awhile. I have seen one personally. I may know who transplanted them as well as crappie. This quite some time ago so they could be spawing. I know the crappie are and they are big!

Offline johnrielly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:01 AM »
theres tons of channelcats in there....

Offline iceman55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:45 AM »
I don't think they will ever reduce them perch in the dam, unless they put a no limit on them. Iv'e seen that place drained to a mud puddle and they still seem to be alot of them dinks.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2013, 02:41 PM »
\
Do you know if they are still stocking Walleye in chittenden Dam ? i heard they stopped years ago. i wish they would put more and bigger walleyes in there because there a Billions and billions of dink perch in there , they could feed on.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:34 AM »
i have been with a friend durring the dunmore derby who pulled a very nice walleye out of dunmore and when he went to check it in they accused him of catching it somewhere else.  They wouldnt count it even in the other catergory!!! then again ive seen someone with a salmon insist it was a brown trout n they counted it as one despite the fact that there r no browns in dunmore.  but there most certainly are walleye in there.

Offline nateicefisherman1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2013, 01:25 PM »
The state has been stocking chittenden dam with walleye for a number of years now

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:23 PM »

They should do the same at Waterbury Rez! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.