The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Please Help! Lamprey Issue on Lake Champlain  (Read 1035 times)

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
Please Help! Lamprey Issue on Lake Champlain
« on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Lake Champlain has come under attack from lamprey, killing our game fish as well as everyfish in the lake. panfish included.   We have got things rolling to kill many lampreys with treatment but support is needed from you fisherman to keep things rolling.  The anti groups are trying to stop the treatments.
 Your signature on our petition would be greatly appreaciated.
Lake Champlain thanks you. Please Help!
Sincerely Ben Birch
Here is the link
http://www.petitiononline.com/lamprey3/petition.html 

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
Re: Please Help! Lamprey Issue on Lake Champlain
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:36 PM »
My link didn't work could someone fix it for me. thanks
Everyone in Vt should be aware of the serious threat to our great fishery in Champlain.
Take a second if you havn't already and sign the petition.
just a signature!
Thanks everyone and good luck.
Ben Birch

Offline ndunbar27

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "if ya aint fishin then ya aint livin"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Ill sign that

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Just signed it. Glad to see something is being done to protect the lake!

CJ

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:43 AM »
THanks guys for taking the time to sign the petition.   The way I see it 10 percent make the rules and the other 90 follow. 
Here is the link to the lamprey petition if anyone else would like to sign.
get r done

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:10 PM »
750 now!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Does anyone have a link on how they got there and when? Is this a brand new problem or are they just increasing in numbers? Being ignorant I would have thought they had made their way into Lake Champlain long ago when they made there way into the Great Lakes.

BTW we've been using the lamprecide in the Great lakes for years. I couldn't see us not using it.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:19 AM »
Taxidermist,  It has been found that the lamprey have been in the lake for many years.  It is just in the past 25 years the lamprey have multipled.  The lamprey need very clean water to spawn and lake champlain in the early 1900's was a dumping ground like many other bodies of water and the rivers were filthy poluted.  Now since the clean ups the lamprey have started multiplying to numbers that the lake can not sustain.  They have almost killed the land locked salmon off to the point of never seeing one.  They did a test lamprey treatment in the early 90's and found great success the fishing really took off the salmon did great as well as all the other game fish that the lamprey were targeting.  Unfortunatly the greatness was short lived as the anti groups decided they didn't like us killing the lamprey and treating the rivers.  So it was stoped.
  Now with the support of fisherman and many groups like Lake champlain international(LCI), Vermont traditions coalition(VTC),  Hunters Anglers and Trappers (HAT)and many New york based groups, charter captains and guides.  The lamprey treatments have started again.  But the fight isn't over, the anti groups are still hard at the fight,  well funded and with lots of time on there hands.  That is why it is so great to have these great fishing sites that we can all get together for a common cause and help, and educate people on what is happening with our issues.
  Now with the lamprey treatments back in full swing for them to be stoped now would be devastating!
This year is looking to be a banner year for the landlocked salmon, walleye, lake trout, northern pike, and the great bass fishing.  All thanks to the death of many millions of lamprey.
  So please anyone who hasn't signed the petition plese do so!  It will bring great things for generations to come not only for the fisherman but people who like to swim and recreate in the water without a worries of a lamprey sucking onto there leg.  ouch!
If anyone has anymore questions I will answere them the best that I can, I am only a fisherman myself so I can dirrect you to a more qualified person if need be.
Thanks
Ben 

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Just stoping in to make sure everyone has signed up?
831 now
Caught some perch and smelt on harriman yesterday, it was windy as hell. 
Gonna give it a try tomorow afternoon.

Offline buckshot464

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team fish on!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2009, 05:32 AM »
If you havn't signed the current lamprey petition, Please sign! Thanks to everyone who has signed the lamprey petition has the most signatures ever.  Lets keep it going.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.