The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: east and west bays traverse city are froze  (Read 998 times)

Offline ketchemall

• Team IceShanty Regular
east and west bays traverse city are froze
« on: Feb 22, 2008, 07:21 AM »
just got off the phone with my dad he wanted to tell me that the bays froze over last night if we dont get a lot of wind they will have 2-3 inches on them by the end of the weekend they will be out on the ice. But i bet tomorrow 2 inches or less they do it everyyear it freezes the guys are out there the next day  but i wait till there is at least 3  ;D
REMOVED

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
Re: east and west bays traverse city are froze
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:49 AM »
whats the target specie(s) out there on the bay?

Offline ketchemall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:53 AM »
whats the target specie(s) out there on the bay?
whitefish and lake trout mainly but browns and perch are out there
REMOVED

Offline tubebait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2008, 12:42 PM »
i was there yesterday for school, and the east bay was locked up pretty good,  there was no ice on the west bay, but that was yesterday.   I've never fished it through the ice before, but would def like to.  I'm up there tue. and thurs. each week, so i'll keep you guys posted on what i see and hear.

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:10 PM »
I can remember fishing mission point in the summer and also snorkling around the beaches and seen some monster pike and smallies.  I think this is on the bay real rocky and shallow.  I would bet that would be a great place to ice fish maybee not though.

perchman83

« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:58 PM »
I can remember fishing mission point in the summer and also snorkling around the beaches and seen some monster pike and smallies.  I think this is on the bay real rocky and shallow.  I would bet that would be a great place to ice fish maybee not though.
West bay is not froze over but I went today off dock road in acme and checked the ice. There was 2 inches of black solid ice and in some spots a foot but that is just drift ice. I will check it tomorrow it would not suprise me to see some people out there tomorrow but be careful a big wind gust and you may be in trouble. we do really good of dock road for whitefish and big big perch. most of them are in the 1 pound range if you find the schools it is nothing to limit out and have good dinners for a couple weeks. Good luck out there. :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.