The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: I Need help picking out a new flasher  (Read 2265 times)

Offline PANFISH HUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
I Need help picking out a new flasher
« on: Dec 23, 2007, 05:36 AM »
I am about to buy my first flasher, and dont know which one to go with. My friend has a vex and it works well for him but it seems kinda hard to understand at times. Maybe someone out there could point me in the right direction of getting one that is less confusing, Marcum vs. Vex .Does price range really make a big difference in the quality of the unit,and what it can do to improve my catch limits? There are so many to chose from,and for now I am leaning towards the Marcum brand.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: I Need help picking out a new flasher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:34 AM »
well i will say this, here is your comparison.....If you can afford it buy a Vex FL-20 or a macum LX-5, if not then the next lower would be the vex FL-18 , the next step down is the Vex fl-12 or the marcum LX-3, and the last step is the Vex fl-8 or the marcum LX-1. The marcum doesnt really have a model that is comparable to the fl-18, it has one just below and well above.

Also, you say that it is hard to understand....could you elaborate? Both units have the same display, so if you are having a hard time reading it (which gets better with time) then you just need to get out and use it.....There are some functions that are different between the models, but the reading of the unit is the same....hope that helps

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2007, 08:00 AM »
The marcum and vexilar models are fairly similar in the same price range. I have a Marcum VX-1  and I absolutley love it. They are a bit confusing to read but like Hollywood said after time it becomes 2nd nature. You'll be able distinguish from weeds and bottom hugging perch, it'll just take a little practice. A flasher is a great tool because you don't have to fish blind. You can drop it in the hole and know exactly where the fish are. You can also change jigs or jigging techniques depening on how the fish react on the flasher. good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Its not a vex but i use my portable Eagle.  It has an ice fishing mode which stops the scroll and updates the pic below you.  Works great for 3 years now.  Plus...Its about 150.00 at Dicks.  Look around at some of the other portable graphs and compare.  I also use this in the boat during the summer.   

Dont let anyone tell you they will outfish you if you dont have a Vex.  I see the same real time picture that they do. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline snowman11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2007, 05:57 PM »
Lowrance x67c.

Just bought it.

I can split the flasher like the vex so I've got the water column and the bottom six feet.

I can also go to chart mode and split the screen AND zoom on any part of the water column I want to. 

It's just more difficult to figure out at first if you haven't used sonar before. 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:17 PM »
If I was to buy one tomorrow I'd go with Vexilar or Marcum and go with whichever one had the most features for the money I had to spend.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline frozenstiff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:11 PM »
lowrance x67c have had it for i think 3 yrs now i use it in the summer on my boat and on hard water. i dont use the flasher feature, I just use the normal summer style the fish show up a a steady line instead of a V like summer  you can easly see your jig and the fish them come off the bottom.  i have no regrets.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:22 PM »
Go with the marcum.......both flashers are basically the same.  However, when you are fishing in tight quarters with vexies......you tend to pick up "static" on your flasher.  Just turn up the gain on your marcum and watch the  neighboring vexlars go crazy.  I hate it when people are too close (to me pulling out fish).  I have done this time and time again....yes I am that guy......no I am not sorry.......keep your distance.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2007, 04:16 PM »
I am about to buy my first flasher, and dont know which one to go with. My friend has a vex and it works well for him but it seems kinda hard to understand at times. Maybe someone out there could point me in the right direction of getting one that is less confusing, Marcum vs. Vex .Does price range really make a big difference in the quality of the unit,and what it can do to improve my catch limits? There are so many to chose from,and for now I am leaning towards the Marcum brand.
I just bought a Showdown digital fish finder, all you are looking at is a straight line down, the line on the bottom is the bottom, the line on top is your bait and everything in between is fish, go to Nature Vision and give them a look, I bought mine thru Cabela's and used my bucks, only because them and Jays were the only ones that had one, forget Gander and Dicks didn't even know what I was talking about, so go to the site, price is 229.00 and sign up for the new icefishing dvd, it will show you how to use it

Offline perchinatorx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2007, 06:56 AM »
i just bought a lowrance x67 and i wouldnt even think of using a vex or marcum its totaly primative go with lowrance you will be pleased

Offline bjeff42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish forced to work!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2007, 10:37 PM »
I've got a Lowrance x-67c sweet unit about $350but well worth it easy to read  on regular graph mode fish show up as lines across the screen, also picks up lure really good so you can put The jig right on their nose had a vex sold it and will never go back.you can get x-67 at cabales in a ice fishing package come with batt.,transducer,all in a handy carring bag :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.