Author Topic: Help Me PLZ  (Read 1020 times)

Offline brown82

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help Me PLZ
« on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Ok i never had a ice shelter and i fish with my pap and i think its time for one as he gets cold fast and hell who would not want to stay out of the wind lol.Here is the 3 im down to just would like to know from some of u whitch u think would be a good one plz.

shappel deluxe cabin or really and of theres

clam 2000 2 person

eskimo quick fish 3 pop up 

here are some of what im looking for are they hard to pull in the snow,will it fit 2 people good,are they easy to set up,and will they last a cuple yrs. well any info will help ty

Offline wacka86

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Help Me PLZ
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:29 PM »
I have fished out of all of them and the are all good. I have never owed one I stand in the weather but am thinking thinking of get the Eskimo quick fish 3 this year saw a guy put it up and it was quick and easy talked to him for about an hour and all he did was praise it so what the heck the kids are older and I done have to carry around there gear anymore might as well.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:33 PM »
If I were you I would get the Clam 2000; the carpeted floor keeps the warmth in and is just an added luxury. Plus it is fairly light weight and is just quality.  Thats my 2 cents.  ;D

Offline srock67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:39 PM »
I have a clam suitcase style with the floor and a hub style I like both for differrent reasons but I will say the clam with a floor was always warmer and easier to heat. BUt you cant really go wrong with any of those.
"Take a kid fishing.........then the wife can't get mad at you for being gone all day!"

Offline walleye wacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAGS UP!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:47 PM »
Dx4000 or frabill DO NOT BUY CLAM I REPETE  DO NOT BUY CHINA CLAM CORP CRAP THEY HAVE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PRODUCTS.

"We have to go NOW!!!"  ......."HOLD ON JUST ONE MORE!!!!

Offline brown82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:48 PM »
well how hard are shappell to drag in alittle snow? and are they heavy.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Dx4000 or frabill DO NOT BUY CLAM I REPETE  DO NOT BUY CHINA CLAM CORP CRAP THEY HAVE HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PRODUCTS.
Remember this is personal opinion. Almost everything I own is Clam and my gear has held up to years of hard fishin. Clam fishing gear is far from being crap. (Once again my personal opinion)  ;D

Offline walleye wacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAGS UP!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:01 PM »
DO THE RESEARCH ON HERE ABOUT CLAM CORP! THEY R JUNK AND SO IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE I AM NOT JUST PUTTING A PERSONAL OPINION OUT THERE

"We have to go NOW!!!"  ......."HOLD ON JUST ONE MORE!!!!

Offline brown82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:12 PM »
k well i will do alot of resherch just trying to find some people to answer some of the above ?s i really like the shappell dx4000 but do like some of the others as listed plz keep the replies coming

ICE REBEL

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:15 PM »
I have a shappell dx 3000 and it's a great shanty but when the time comes for a new one i'm going with a clam flip over.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:26 PM »
One of the reasons I prefer the flipover style to the suitcase is because they are built on a sled. I find with the suitcase it is much more difficult to get all my gear secured.  BTW I own a Shappel 4000, a Clam Scout and a Clam Guide. I heat with a Mr Heater Heater/Cooker and get the Guide every bit as comfortable as the Shappel.

As far as Clam customer service, my experience with them has been fantastic. My Scout tub wore through after a season. I called to inquire about patching and applying runners. They told me if I was going to order their runners they would send me a new tub free of charge. The Guide I purchased was a floor model put together by store employees. Apparently they put it together so as to have too much tension on the bottom porch poles. This led to the stitching pulling out on the loops that the pole goes through. Again I called and explained the situation stressing that it was no fault of Clam. They told me to email them a copy of my receipt. I did and they instructed me to cut off the logos and the zipper from the tent and they would replace it free of charge. IMO that is customer service that can't be beat. Sometimes the type of service you receive depends on the service request. Not saying that all the guys not happy with someone's customer service are all pi$$y when they call, but I bet a lot are. Then they get on here and try to destroy a company. I put very little stock in someone's opinion unless I know them.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:26 PM »
I have both a clam guide and a quick fish 3 and if I could only keep one I would have to keep the quick fish 3. More room easy set up and light weight when pulling in the snow. Take a look the next time you are out and see how many hub huts are out there. Lot of people switching.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline hard_water

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin lips all over NY
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:48 PM »
I own a clam 5600 suitcase style shanty, the plastic floor is awsome my shanty heats up pretty quick with just a coleman propane lantern. sets up pretty easy (better with 2 people) more than enough room for 3 grown fisherman. the draw back is that its pretty heavy for one person to haul loaded with equip. If i was to purchase a new shanty it would be a flip up 2 man probally a clam as i have never had a problem with their products.

Just my .02
                                      Water
GET THE NET !!!!!!!GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:53 PM »
I have been using the Shappell DX3000 for several years now and wouldn't have it any other way. You will at least want the pop up skiis to make them easiers to pull accross the snow. This year I built the "Smitty Sled" from a post on this site for about $20.00 and now it's like pulling no weight at all. Shappell is very hard to beat for the price, they are very durable and a great value.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:00 PM »
The quick fish three is a beuty
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:37 PM »
my clam 2000 is going on 5 years, no problems. i drilled tension bar and use a cotter pin instead of their screw clamp. it is hard pulling loaded down though,gonna make a sled to haul it on someyear!

Offline boatdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:48 PM »
I've owned shappell 3000 & 4000. The 3000 was a little crowded so we got the 4000 .It has skis built in for easy pulling in snow.
stupid people are like slinkies,they both bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs

Offline brown82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:15 PM »
are those the skies that u can buy from them?

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:06 PM »
I got the Cabelas 5600 5'x6' plenty of elbow room -floor ... I strap it to the top my jet sled, pulls easy.

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:42 PM »
I've owned shappell 3000 & 4000. The 3000 was a little crowded so we got the 4000 .It has skis built in for easy pulling in snow.
love my 4000. they call it a four man shack. not mine. its the 2 man cadillac!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:40 AM »
are those the skies that u can buy from them?

That's right. They help a lot for moving across deeper snow.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline dsp2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:03 AM »
Copy and paste the link below, I have the DX3000 and it is great, easy to set up and take down. I was concerned about pulling the sled until I found this subject here. Now when it comes to pulling the gear out it is simple and very light going. You will not go wrong with what guy's have to say on this site. Just weigh everything out and make a decision you feel is right.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.msg1014539#msg1014539
It must be a big fish That flag went up fast!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:38 AM »
All the Clam reviews since being made in China are BAD. The guys with the Clams before the change are happy, the guys since are not. I would not buy a Clam shelter if i was in the market for one after all the reading i have done on here. Just my 2 cents.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.