The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gorge ice update.  (Read 31191 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Gorge ice update.
« on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:25 PM »
Here's the nicest one of three rainbows that were iced today.
There is open water at Buckboard Marina, open water towards Jap Island, maybe a couple of inches of ice east of there. Maybe more ice down toward Brennigars.  
Ice looked good at Sage Creek and above to Big Firehole.

Best of luck,
WYIfish
(our Rock Springs chamber will be discussing the Burbot Bash soon for next years activities, please contact me if you are intereseted in serving) The Sweetwater County Travel and Tourism Board meets quarterly for their grant program for those wishing to submit requests for funding any county fishing or tourism event activities.

Thread killer

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gorge ice update.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:10 AM »
Nice rainbow, sounds like you guys will need to start getting the boats ready. :-\

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2009, 05:07 PM »
This afternoon, there is about one inch of ice at big firehole boat ramp. It looked thicker up toward little firehole. Swim beach would have been impossible to bank fish. Sage Creek is all open, and NO FISH in three hours trolling. Marked very few fish.
By next week, there should be fishable ice.  It's coming, just not fast enough!
Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 06:01 PM »
I caught two rainbows and a ling today. Through the ice.
Thread killer

Offline Perchcrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Way to go WYIfish, I'm jealous....not really any good ice around Buffalo yet!
A Bad day of fishing in better than a Good day at Work!!!

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:06 PM »
Hey WYIfish how much ice was there and where were you fishing.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2009, 11:08 PM »
Hey WYIfish how much ice was there and where were you fishing.
There was ice all over the place we fished.

We were fishing Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, Wyoming.

My buddy and his blind dog swore me to secrecy.
Thread killer

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:40 PM »
thanks a lot wyifish you were a huge help

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:51 PM »
thanks a lot wyifish you were a huge help
1). Best wishes but you really wouldn't expect me to tell  you which hole I was catching fish from would you?  

2). There are about 4-10 acres of poorly thin ice at big fire hole in the historic fishing area.  It covers currents, springs, sunmelt from underneath, and did I mention under currents and springs?   I can't recommend anyone go fish yet since people do drown in Wyoming, and in the gorge, and lawyers are all over the place, second only to those who do not have a healthy respect for thin ice. Yes, the ice is thin. 4 posts as a newbie so who knows if you have ever walked on ice or not.

The best thing to do is get a buddy, and a long rope with a throwing device, and go exploring for your self.  

PS, try to be the one on the smarter end of the rope.
Thread killer

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:56 PM »
dont worry you wont see me out there for a while unless i know there is good ice out there

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:59 PM »
I am heading to the Gorge on Friday after I get off work at noon.  Will give a report on ice thickness, where I fished and how the fishing was.  Should be good ice in the bays as its supposed to be in single digits at night for the next few days.

Thankgoodness I am not a newbie and have walked on ice before.....lol, I better bring my ice cleats.  I hope you knew that guy(wyo700) WYIfish because you might have offended him.  haha

Baiter
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:36 PM »
thanks baiter looking forward to you report and nothing bad between me and wyifish just some friendly fun

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2009, 03:40 PM »
I heard they're putting a hurten on the ling lately, down at firehole? is this true and how much ice?

Offline Flaming Gorge Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Here's the nicest one of three rainbows that were iced today.
There is open water at Buckboard Marina, open water towards Jap Island, maybe a couple of inches of ice east of there. Maybe more ice down toward Brennigars.  
Ice looked good at Sage Creek and above to Big Firehole.
(Image removed from quote.)
Best of luck,
WYIfish
(our Rock Springs chamber will be discussing the Burbot Bash soon for next years activities, please contact me if you are intereseted in serving) The Sweetwater County Travel and Tourism Board meets quarterly for their grant program for those wishing to submit requests for funding any county fishing or tourism event activities.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:19 AM »
Went fishing out at Firehole today.  I got out there about 4pm and fished til 8pm.  Put 4 ling on the ice and two at the hole, I guess I am a little rusty since it was my first ice trip of the season.  Also caught 1 rainbow right before dark.  Fishing was a little slow but it was beautiful out. No wind, nice n warm shanty, sky full of starts and a few fish to boot.  Ice was a good solid clear 4-5inches.  Good way to start the season.  Will post pics later, tired and need to shower after cleaning slimers.

Baiter
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:25 AM »
thanks baiter for the update even if the fishing is slow it is still nice to be out there.  hopefully i will be able to make it out tomorrow.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Went fishing out at Firehole today.  I got out there about 4pm and fished til 8pm.  Put 4 ling on the ice and two at the hole, I guess I am a little rusty since it was my first ice trip of the season.  Also caught 1 rainbow right before dark.  Fishing was a little slow but it was beautiful out. No wind, nice n warm shanty, sky full of starts and a few fish to boot.  Ice was a good solid clear 4-5inches.  Good way to start the season.  Will post pics later, tired and need to shower after cleaning slimers.

Baiter
With my shake down cruise, I had the line free spooling off a tip up since I forgot to thread the line through the reel line guide.  A fiesty rainbow was spooling off the bottom of the reel instead of tripping the flag. I get a bite on a near by rod and reel it in to find my line from my tip up tangled with it. Then, I drop the rod and attend the tip up and catch the rainbow that luckily had not wrapped around the dock anchor cables....caught the fish, had a real chinese firedrill witnessed (which is always important to have a partial judge/buddy take part in the fun time).  So, Shake down trips are expected, fun, and a great way to get the cobwebs out of the system.
Catching any fish on the shake down cruise is still, in my mind not slow fishing.
To the Ice Batman!
Thread killer

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:36 PM »
They're really givin you the runaround this early season huh?! hahahahaha. Nice story!
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:52 PM »
As soon as we get some better ice I hope to take my trailer down there and spend a few days putting some serious hurt on the bows and the ling.  I have been researching a new rainbow spot that historically gives up fish, biologist says lots of fish in that area and I have structure, and no competition in the past two winters as I could watch the place in the distance and no one ice fishes it....Soon as we get ice down to the confluence, I go on the attack. Should be in two weeks maybe if I am lucky.

The chamber of commerce in Rock Springs got the new 2010 gorge passes in, $35. I hope to wait to fish further down than to pay such a high price for forest service toilet paper...the bathrooms at the boat ramp are useable, the maint lady made sure to tell me so....to justify the $5 daily fee, that's a mighty expensive donation for a restroom break.
Thread killer

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2009, 12:15 AM »
I wish I could have used the restarea today.  caught 4 lakers this morning at firhole and 2 rainbows, no ling.  Had to use the outhouse but couldn't drive there fast enough and had to cut the sleeve off my shirt.  That toilet paper would have been worth 5 bucks at that moment.  Next time I will remember not to eat three bowls of chipolte chili the night before ice fishing.....lol

Baiter

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2009, 12:36 PM »
hahahahahhahahahahahah ahahahhahahahaha!

Hey man you gotta go you gotta go! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2009, 01:41 PM »
Any report on Sage Creek ice forming yet?   Should be some.
Thanks in advance.
Thread killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:58 PM »
Any report on Sage Creek ice forming yet?   Should be some.
Thanks in advance.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2009, 11:08 PM »
Dec 5, 2009  There was some open water in the middle of Sage Creek.  I fished a mile south of the swim beach and got 3 Nice Rainbows. In that area there was about 3 inches of ice.  I could see some Mack fisherman about 1/2 mile north of sage Creek. 

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Dec 5, 2009  There was some open water in the middle of Sage Creek.  I fished a mile south of the swim beach and got 3 Nice Rainbows. In that area there was about 3 inches of ice.  I could see some Mack fisherman about 1/2 mile north of sage Creek. 
Thank you iceman.   I imagine by Wednesday maybe....I am surprised it takes so long for ice to freeze when it's zero out, one would think it all would freeze clear to Anvil draw when it's 0 out for 24 hours...which it will be by morning.
Thread killer

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:09 PM »
Any word on the ice conditions????????

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2009, 04:18 PM »
went to the confluence yesterday slush to current creek and a lot of open spots in front of LD 3 '' further up the blacks fork. lost dog and the confluence wernt fishable yesterday but maybe by fri? ihave pics but ill be damned if i can get them on here.and there was a big looking open patch from were we did the burbot bash to the confluence wall it's just really spoty still.i went out of my boat on fri and fished the confluence till midnight and got over 30 ling on the old glow yammamoto and some fresh fg chub meat.14-27ft was the best.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I fished sage creek today, there was 3 inches of ice.  One small rainbow for three hours in the -20 wind chill, truck heater wouldn't keep very warm even.
There is some ice on the small bay to the south of buckboard marina from the view from the cherokee trail. Open water above buckboard and 4 foot white caps from there to Breeze Hill.  
Thread killer

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2009, 11:24 AM »
went out for first trip last night it was nice to be on the hardwater again.  we caught 4 ling total.  the buddy i was with caught about a 5 pounder biggest ling i had ever seen.  i cant believe how thick and how quick it made ice down at firehole.  there was well over a foot of ice off the boat ramp.

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Went to Lost Dog Saturday; there was 4-5 inches of ice, caught 10 smaller rainbows and one nice 21 incher, It was nice to get back on the ice!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.