Author Topic: Large Mouth Bass  (Read 485 times)

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Large Mouth Bass
« on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:36 PM »
So just curious for those that target large mouth bass thru the ice what sort of lure/bait does one use.. I have never done it but we do have some lake around here that have some and I wanted to get out and give it a try. So any ideas would be helpful..
Marvin

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Large Mouth Bass
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2016, 12:49 PM »
When I'm not using tip-ups with shiners, I jig up a few each season while jigging for crappie and sunfish.
Basically any lure you use for other species will catch bass and pickerel. They are opportunistic feeders, so if they find other fish feeding and being caught in a regular manner they will follow suit and see what they are feeding on.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2016, 01:03 PM »
I get them with small jig tipped with spikes.
Bass minnows on my tip ups.
It always gets me when a bass hits,thinking it's a big gill or giant crappie.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2016, 03:12 PM »
I call my ultralight rippin' rap ''the bass whistle''.  Start pulling two foot rips with one of those and the bass come running.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2016, 03:20 PM »
I use large shiners about a foot above the weeds.  Use 30# florocarbon leaders about 3' long with a 3/0-4/0 octopus hook. 
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2016, 03:27 PM »
Vanderlaan: I like the Ripping Rap's- So what color do you prefer? looks like Perch, Fire Tiger or  Pearl Grey Shiner would work great and then a guy could still use them on Walleye or Sauger..
Marvin

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Lindy Ratl'n Flyer/Buckshot Glider tipped with minnow chunks.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:55 PM »
1/4 oz gold PK flutterfish I've caught more bass on these things than anything else.  Inadvertently I'll admit but nonetheless tipped with spikes waxies or a minnow head.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:07 PM »
I call my ultralight rippin' rap ''the bass whistle''.  Start pulling two foot rips with one of those and the bass come running.
X2.   Also snap salmos
Tried the new RPM minnows and have had success with em

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:46 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice- Thats why i love this place. Others lending a hand to give others a little help when they need it..

I have plenty of PK's and some lindy Flyers so I guess i'm gonna get some of those ripping rap's and I should have a good variety to try out..

;)
Marvin

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Vanderlaan: I like the Ripping Rap's- So what color do you prefer? looks like Perch, Fire Tiger or  Pearl Grey Shiner would work great and then a guy could still use them on Walleye or Sauger..

Believe it or not, the pink uv is my favorite.  I also use the perch, orange and chrome.  No walleyes around here, but I catch a lot of crappie with them too.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Perch and uv pink jigging raps

Perch, sunfish lindy darters

Cj&s #6 ratso in white
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.