Author Topic: Slow day on the CT River  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Slow day on the CT River
« on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:47 PM »
It sure is nice living so close to the river  ;D Paul met me at the shop at 5:45 this morning.We geared up, grabbed the bait and headed for the ice. The game plan was to set up for pike and see how things went. If they weren't willing to coopperate, we'd switch over to panfish and move around a lot with the jigs....  THANK GOD for Nils!!!   Without exagerating, I'm sure I drilled well over 200 holes on 2 different coves today   :o :) We covered a ton of water but it just wasn't happening for us. We iced somewhere around a dozen crappie, perch and bluegills so I guess I can't cry too much but with the whole day off and a non stop show schedule looming, I was really hoping to do better.

We still had fun and got some cool pictures along the way. I finally got to see the Showdown in action. I was very impressed, might even get me one. At one point I downsized to a sabiki rig tipped with spikes. and a split shot to get it down. I could see each tiny hook as well as the sinker and every move I made. Lot's of fish would come up to look at the jigs today but only a small percentage committed and even fewr were stuck...  We'll do it again one of these days, Paul  ;)

Trooper Bri

Re: Slow day on the CT River
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Slow fishing is still better than no fishing.

What the heck is Paul wearing ? Looks like wool Pajama bottoms. He likes to push the fashion limits !  ;D

Offline ctfishermanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LET THERE BE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2008, 07:31 PM »
ya i fished wethersfield today from 9:30- 12:30 and it was very slow managed about a dozen crappie and a few perch but all in all slow. Alot of fish on the vex they would come up but not bite. Will have to try white oaks later this week.

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2008, 10:22 PM »
Think those are wool Mackinaw or Dawson pants he's wearing.
Either that or he pants some Scotman on the Golf course.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ooooooh! Poor puppy, Bitter cold with wind and no warm coat or boots.
Piece of carpeting or a cardboard box would be nice for him when your on the ice.
Hmmmm?? Think I might still have a dog blanket somewhere stowed away. My puppy outgrew it in less than a year so it's still almost new. If I find it I'll drop it off at the store. ;D ;D :thumbsup:

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 05:02 AM »
way to go blaine,one of these days i will get some time to get over to the cove. its a shame because i only live in hamden and have never fished the cove. i hear lots of stories and see many people out there and have managed to not go there yet. hopefully this weekend i will be there and if not i will most likely fish up on highland lake.thats my favorite place of all. i caught the biggest trout, bass, chain peckeral, sunny,and yellow perch of my life at tha t place.well, hope to see you at the cove this weekend, save some pike for me , i never caught one yet or even seen one yet; :) :) :)
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:15 AM »
Ooooooh! Poor puppy, Bitter cold with wind and no warm coat or boots.
Piece of carpeting or a cardboard box would be nice for him when your on the ice.

She's an ice fishing MACHINE. She absolutely loves it out there. I do bring a blanket for her so she can get off the ice once in a while but if there is any action at all, she's right there at the hole. If she even hears me mutter a curse about missing a fish, she's on her way over to see what's going on.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 06:36 AM »
she;s a beautiful lab blaine. :) :) :)
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Yeah! She sure is a beautiful Chocolate Lab. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
And a without a doubt a LOVEBUG like my Gordy. :clap:
He just turned 2 and has learned on his own about rising trout.
Now he goes into a solid point (right paw up) on any rising trout he spots.
Trout pointing bird dog!!  ;D ;D  :clap:
Talk about some GREAT fishing partners to have!!! :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Sure, you guys make fun of my duds over here too  ;D.  The pants are Kittery Trading post, and the top is a heavy handm me down (I ain't proud) but very warm  ;). And you are correct, Scotsmen, well half anyhow; Maxwell Clan!!!!!!
We will see what tommarro brings!!!!!!

Kerrian (sp?) , 1/2" as of Tuesday to save you a PM. Please PM me with some info on the Channel Cat stocking.

I'm planning to post a few reports over here, seems like more of a hardcore crowd vs. lurkers and talkers.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:33 PM »
what up paul, i was fishing at black pond in meridan and they must of stocked it with some channel cats because i landed a 10 pounder a week or so back. i have pics, as soon as i figure it out, i shall post some pics.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:43 PM »
A number of CT. lakes and ponds have been stocked w/ channel cats. I somtimes like to target obscure species, less competition and a nice change of pace thru the ice.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:48 PM »
i agree,i must say that to cat a channel cat through the ice was an awsome experience.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.