Author Topic: fish finders ??  (Read 535 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
fish finders ??
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:55 AM »
yep,I'm still struggling with the issue of a fish finder..Why do some of you like the flasher
better than the other lcd or whatever they are called....Looking at the marcum show down
and now the marcum flasher...Just what is so special from one or the other....I need to know this
befor I buy...My sons swear by their show downs...But dad has to be different or is it difficult ?

Wish I could see how those flashers work in person...
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fish finders ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Go to You Tube and search on videos for all the models you are interested in. Watch them in action, you'll be able to watch them catch fish. Every single model is going to have videos on YouTube about them from both professionals and amateurs. Just remember that all sonar is the same- ALL OF IT. It was invented over a hundred years ago and it hasn't changed that much. It's all clicks of sound that bounce off stuff beneath you. The thing that changes is the way the information is displayed to you. Graphing devices show a small timeline of what is happening under you, a flasher just shows you what happens in real time. For jigging I personally prefer flashing mode, but honestly, they both perform the same function.

To start, grab your favorite beverage and turn up your computer speakers and watch the first 10 of these videos on this link: [ Invalid YouTube link ]marcum+showdown&sm=1

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Ifishbackwaters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:04 AM »
It is all in what looks best too you.  I personally like the flasher better just because of the color.  To me it make it easier to read.  I have used the showdown troller a couple of different times and didn't care for the black and grey.  Now if you were looking at the lx 6 or lx 7 with the color lcd I have never had the chance to use one.  I would really love to try one for a day.  Hard to spend the money on one when my old $100 fl8 is working great.  If you can try both see witch one you like the best and go from there.  Good luck.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Go ahead and be difficult and get a flasher. I have the Showdown Troller 2.0 and love the thing. Top is top and bottom is bottom. It is just as simple as it gets. If you want a little more get the 5.6 Dual beam. Even my wife loves it and asked me to get her one. I would but she wants a pink one. LOL
<===Lefty===

Offline skittles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:26 AM »
Just a thought, but is there a local fishing club nearby?
Or a tournament coming up near you?
These are two options that could help you. Fishing clubs usually have a couple of outings per month, those are great times to try out/talk to people and see different units on the ice.

I use the lowrance 520c, it has the graph, flasher and GPS.  It puts a lot of fish on the ice year after year

Offline Webby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:38 AM »
Go to You Tube and search on videos for all the models you are interested in. Watch them in action, you'll be able to watch them catch fish. Every single model is going to have videos on YouTube about them from both professionals and amateurs. Just remember that all sonar is the same- ALL OF IT. It was invented over a hundred years ago and it hasn't changed that much. It's all clicks of sound that bounce off stuff beneath you. The thing that changes is the way the information is displayed to you. Graphing devices show a small timeline of what is happening under you, a flasher just shows you what happens in real time. For jigging I personally prefer flashing mode, but honestly, they both perform the same function.

To start, grab your favorite beverage and turn up your computer speakers and watch the first 10 of these videos on this link: [ Invalid YouTube link ]marcum+showdown&sm=1
X2 They are all the best and the worst depending on who you ask. As far as brands...their all good or they wouldn't be in business this long. Watch the video's and then decide and go for it!
"The best two times to go fishing is when it's raining and when it's not raining!"

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:07 AM »
I used a fish finder last year and I'm using a flasher this year. I kinda got used to the fish finder. One thing with finders is you need to turn off any fish id. What you will see is a black line for the bottom and a black line for your jig. When  fish comes along it will either be a small arch of black or a large arch for bigger fish. When they stop by your bait it looks like a large black line. With finders, the beginning of that black line where it starts is real time. Everything after that is what WAS there.

With a flasher, it is all real time. It's like you are watching what is happening as it happens. On my ice-45 I will watch my jig which, depending on my gain setting, looks like a thin green line to a yellow line. A fish will look like a green or yellow line rising to my jig and when he's close it'll be a red line. that's when you know the game is on.

Personally, I believe both work. The flasher is just easier to see as it's happening. It's also usually easier sorting out underwater junk from your jig or fish.

I've never used a showdown but I've read enough good stuff about them. I've used the lx5 and my ice-45 and several finders. What it comes down to is customer service. I think Vex and Marcum are gonna get high marks for that.

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:03 AM »
the MarCum is a great brand to go with. I would suggest that you go with the lx7 it has the vertical screen that is just like the show down it has the typical flasher screen (the circle so to say) and it has a graph mode like the normal fish finder.... it can also be hooked up and used as a normal fish finder in open water..... the great thing about this unit is that they are always trying to better it and so they have made the firm ware updatable to make your unit ageless.... good luck with your search my friend...

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:17 PM »
X2 They are all the best and the worst depending on who you ask. As far as brands...their all good or they wouldn't be in business this long. Watch the video's and then decide and go for it!

X3...To me, it makes little difference.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:20 PM »
X2 on the troller. small,simple, 6AA batterys last 24-30hrs,scans thru clear ice ;)
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2014, 02:14 PM »
I prefer the digital sonar where as lefty and others have said - it's clear that top of column is top of screen and bottom's bottom.

Whereas, with the flashers -  all the flashing colors in my eyes for hours on end and watching a dial...no thanks

Great separation - I can EASILY/QUICKLY see the bottom condition (solid, loose (based on density of black/thin or solid), the tops of weeds, and the separation between my jig and my bait (sensitivity turned up a little), when a fish comes in from above or below and how close it is sitting to my rig.

Showdown on YouTube - plenty of examples both marketing and actual fishermen
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=marcum+showdown+5.6&page=&utm_source=opensearch

Vex on YouTube - includes examples and "which vex is for me" vid, etc
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vexilar&sm=3

Hummingbird on YouTube -
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vexilar&sm=3

Lowrance on YouTube -
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lowrance+ice+fishing&sm=3
Owe No Man Anything...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.