New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Compact flip over shanty  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Compact flip over shanty
« on: Nov 29, 2019, 10:00 AM »
I'm considering getting a flip over shanty, but I'm limited as to how big I can get. It will have to fit in the backseat of a sedan. I looked at the frabil one person and that would work well, but it would be a little cramped if I wanted to fit two people in it. So I looked at the clam nanook thermal, and I think that one would simply be too bulky especially with the thick covering. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Compact flip over shanty
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2019, 10:13 AM »
I'm not sure you will find a 2 person flip that your asking for as compact.
As for a lightweight single person shanty that is compact and served me well, the shappell fx 100 is a good shanty.
I have however seen and read bad reviews on the fxi, insulated newer models since eagle claw took them over.
The poles are not made well and they use a plastic connection at the joints instead of a single curved pipe.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2019, 10:29 AM »
maybe, if your back seat folds down, you might be able to get a 1 man flipover in. I can't see how you can expect a 2 man flipover into a sedan. what sedan is it?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I'm considering getting a flip over shanty, but I'm limited as to how big I can get. It will have to fit in the backseat of a sedan. I looked at the frabil one person and that would work well, but it would be a little cramped if I wanted to fit two people in it. So I looked at the clam nanook thermal, and I think that one would simply be too bulky especially with the thick covering. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

What are the dimensions..make model..access via the trunk with fold  down seats..tha Frabill Recruit might be a good option..same dimensions as the recon but turned sideways.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2019, 01:30 PM »
I use a clam pop up. Works great. Never got the whole flip over thing. I can literally get it unpacked and fully up in minutes including anchors. Shouldn’t have anyone problem fitting it in a car. You don’t need a huge sled to haul it around you can just throw it on top of any sled.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2019, 02:46 PM »
I use a clam pop up. Works great. Never got the whole flip over thing. I can literally get it unpacked and fully up in minutes including anchors. Shouldn’t have anyone problem fitting it in a car. You don’t need a huge sled to haul it around you can just throw it on top of any sled.

FT,
I started out with a clam suitcase pop up box because I had kid or friend along.  Kinda a cheesy box that the floor cracked apart.  Its still serviceable and used.
Then I expanded to a killzone pop up ice shelter.  It was pretty awesome and dual purpose for hunting as the windows removed.  A good 2, tight 3 man heavy duty ice shanty.  From there my family grew and I got the killzone xl model which is great for 3-4 ppl with the extra height to stand comfortably.
I came across a bargain of 2 brand new flip overs.  Shappell fx100 and fx150.
They totally were game changers.
Since we drag our gear 90 % of the time,  having a shanty built into the sled allows me to bring the pop up for family and friends in the flip over to allow mobility of locating fish without having to break down " base camp"  every time.
There are times we bring the pop up but there are never times I wouldn't bring the flip over. 
It be like leaving my flasher at home..

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Yep pull it out set it up anchor it. Great if you set it up on fish and they don’t move. If they do? Pull the anchors take it down move pop it back up put the anchors back. The whole flip over thing? Drill some holes flip it over fish. Need to move flip it open haul it to a new location. Done for the day? Flip it open haul back to the exit point, put the travel cover on go home eat some fish. I use both flip and hub. Depends on what the plan for the day is. I don’t care what kind of pickup people drive either.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2019, 04:42 PM »
A one man Clam flip over should (I say should) fit in the back seat of a sedan. And that depends on the sedan. I however, doubt that any 2 man shack will work. I suggest looking at the dimensions of different models to see what fits in your car. It will also be difficult to convince the Mrs that you are going to wad this snow and ice packed thing that with any luck smells like fish, into the back seat of the family car. You will also have to be cautious about damaging said car or shanty.
    Every sportsman needs a pickup    Just my 2 cents

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2019, 04:45 PM »
    Every sportsman needs a pickup    Just my 2 cents

At least every sportsman has wanted a pickup at least once in their lives.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Yep pull it out set it up anchor it. Great if you set it up on fish and they don’t move. If they do? Pull the anchors take it down move pop it back up put the anchors back. The whole flip over thing? Drill some holes flip it over fish. Need to move flip it open haul it to a new location. Done for the day? Flip it open haul back to the exit point, put the travel cover on go home eat some fish. I use both flip and hub. Depends on what the plan for the day is. I don’t care what kind of pickup people drive either.
Keep it safe! JDL

That's why I want the flip over. I hole hop like crazy. I'm impatient and unless I can just drag it over to a new spot I dont see a point to a shelter. It doesn't have to be a flip over. I just want something that doesnt involve anchoring or anything over a minute of setup. I want to stress that unless I'm marking active fish I seldom spend more than 20 minutes at a hole.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Yes.  When the wife asks " what's that smell like fish oh baby  " from the back of the car.  One can only reply to keep on truckin mama.
Had them on top, inside,  outside and sideways . Fact of matter is is if your junk don't smell like funk,   your not fishin

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:52 PM »
That's why I want the flip over. I hole hop like crazy. I'm impatient and unless I can just drag it over to a new spot I dont see a point to a shelter. It doesn't have to be a flip over. I just want something that doesnt involve anchoring or anything over a minute of setup. I want to stress that unless I'm marking active fish I seldom spend more than 20 minutes at a hole.

Agree.
This is a rover ( now the fx 100 ) sitting on a standard jet sled with 2 hub tents on top.
Length of the rover is 45". The fx100 is 46".
Below is a 1.5 that's a beast.  Gosh bless anyone dragging by hand an 80lb empty flip over through snow.  That's where the hub comes into play.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2019, 06:57 PM »
Keep it safe! JDL

Lol it’s not really that hard. For me the extra room is worth the 45 seconds it takes to pop up. I move around like crazy. When it’s time to move I collapse it and toss it on the sled.  If it’s not blowing you really don’t need to anchor it. I just clip one side to my atv.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2019, 05:10 AM »
I would... in your situation pick up the hub new. So it’s still quality condition then look for a 1 man flip to fit in your car. Then your family and friends come you they set up while you find fish and then move it to them.
Reason I say this way is I doubt you will find a 2 man flip to fit in a sedan, it also seems to me the friends and family are not fishing as much as you when out. So your #1 and they are #2+ when it comes to fishing and don’t short yourself to keep them happy
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2019, 05:59 AM »

In the fishing scenario you describe, you may just want to go with the Shappell FX50 windbreak. Their around $150 and weigh about 23#. When I had mine, I modified it a bit. I moved the bench seat to the rear to use as a shelf for a little gear and small heater (I anchored it to keep from tipping over). Then I used a small 3-legged chair as a seat. Small piece of carpet on the ice for my feet. You can't get much more portable and quicker than that.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2019, 08:25 PM »
I've actually seen guys sitting on a 3 legged chair inside of a large plastic bag. Not really my cup of tea, but you can't get much more compact than that. Cheap too.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Lots of good info.

I bought an Eskimo Wide One which is a one man but the front poles expand to get more fishing area. It would probably be ok for an adult with a kid or you could possibly do something with the seat and make more room.

As far as the popups go they're great but if it's windy moving is a royal PIA. If the wind is whipping they are beyond a royal PIA.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:55 AM »
frabil recon is one of the smallest.....i also use a small car....i use a 2 man hub style now but i had the recon and it will fit into some cars

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:12 AM »
Lol it’s not really that hard. For me the extra room is worth the 45 seconds it takes to pop up. I move around like crazy. When it’s time to move I collapse it and toss it on the sled.  If it’s not blowing you really don’t need to anchor it. I just clip one side to my atv.

I normally fish using a pop up as well. I can breakdown or set up in under 5 minutes in most conditions so not too much of a hassle imo. Im a big fan of the extra room as well since i normally always have some companionship. I bought an anchor adapter to help drill in the holes and that's one of the most crucial pieces of equipment i bring now when ive got the pop up with me. If you go that route, its definitely worth the couple dollars to pick one up.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:18 PM »
personal preference is  all  if  your  fishing lakers or watching tip ups  I imagine a pop up would  be great and  comfortable too .... if  your a panfish walleye  fisherman   a  pop up  is  quick  and  easy ....either way a  smitty sled  is a  big asset ......I can  use  either ...if i'm  running traps I prefer the  tent  ......running and gunning the pop up   ...either  way  have  fun  and  be  safe  guys

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:14 PM »
I have the one man Clam flip over, I should have read more on it. It works great but pulls like a brick in the snow, so I put snow skis under it. It fits in the back of my Ford Explorer.

I fill it up with everything I need with heater in the back

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:57 AM »
Shapell fx 100.  Have been using it for a few years now.  Fits in my sport trac bed.  Holds the things I need for a solo trip.   Use a 8' hub when taking grand kids or the mrs.  So far so good. Geo.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2019, 08:43 AM »
Shapell fx 100.  Have been using it for a few years now.  Fits in my sport trac bed.  Holds the things I need for a solo trip.   Use a 8' hub when taking grand kids or the mrs.  So far so good. Geo.

same truck same  shantys  lol

I have the hard tonneau my shappel slids in no problem  and  gear plus I can  strap a  friends shanty on top

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:46 AM »
I have the one man Clam flip over, I should have read more on it. It works great but pulls like a brick in the snow, so I put snow skis under it. It fits in the back of my Ford Explorer.

I fill it up with everything I need with heater in the back

How did you do that? Raised or just bolted down?

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Look into a roof rack system. I’ve seen good systems tube aluminum racks for 180$

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Look into a roof rack system. I’ve seen good systems tube aluminum racks for 180$

That's actually a good idea. I might do that

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2019, 06:00 PM »
I was in same situation, and that was my solution. Most pull overs are light enough empty to put on the roof rack.  Get a travel cover also, road spray will soak your sled. And you can never have too many tie downs. Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.