The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Transducer mount  (Read 844 times)

Offline wryan

• IceShanty Rookie
Transducer mount
« on: Dec 22, 2022, 02:58 PM »
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about buying an ice fishing transducer vs making a mount and using the transducer meant for the stern of a boat.  It’s a garmin striker that hasn’t taken its maiden voyage yet.  Thank you.

Ryan

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Transducer mount
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2022, 04:00 PM »
There are various arrangements that can be used. You can find a few on-line. They can be made to work reasonably well IMO but the ice ducers tend to be much more convenient.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2022, 04:18 PM »
With a boat transducer, I think the most difficult part would be making sure it’s oriented to the bottom and not off angle. (I was thinking of the same thing but with a lowrance and decided to just buy the ice ducer.)

One easy way would be a 3 piece of wood, like the heritage wood tip ups, and then mounting the boat ducer on the bottom, but again orientation would be key. Could do a more intense build with a stand and a claw like frame to get away from having cross members on the hole and then having a single support extend down into the hole.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2022, 06:52 AM »
I had a set up where it was attached to an aluminum rod clamped to the diy carrier that held it upright. It worked. Honestly, get an ice 'ducer, you won't be sorry.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2022, 07:12 AM »
I had a set up where it was attached to an aluminum rod clamped to the diy carrier that held it upright. It worked. Honestly, get an ice 'ducer, you won't be sorry.

It's definitely worth the money for the ice transducer. It's always level and you'll never have to mess with it.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2022, 07:47 AM »
It's definitely worth the money for the ice transducer. It's always level and you'll never have to mess with it.

X2 ...in principle a boat transducer will work ...but can be a nuisance as it must be level..and landing a fish means removing the transducer  ...and depending on which Garmin transducer you have it could quite long ..itll go in a 8" hole but may not be the quickest to do so . Yes you can drill a transducer hole ..but thats more drill/time ..

IceDucer = investment + efficiency
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2022, 08:27 AM »
     I made one quite a few years ago for my old fish finder which I had mounded on an old tackle box with two 6-volt batteries (in series) inside.  It worked fine for years until I upgraded to a Lowrance ice machine.  Just try to keep the transducer level.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2022, 08:53 AM »
Bought a  Garmin Striker 4+ for my Kayak this season; what a game changer! Since the transducer was attached in the scupper hole (underneath) with marine grade adhesive getting an ice fishing transducer was a no-brainer. Can't wait to try it on the ice! If you are a serious ice fisherman you need it.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2022, 10:25 AM »
I got by for many years even before Vexilar/SiTex was invented with a H-Bird Super Sixty and transom mount 'ducer. Way better than nothing.

Lotsa ways to rig. The simplest one I've seen and used is to put a loop in the cable just above the 'ducer and secure it with a cable tie, loosely at first. By adjusting the size of the loop and location of the tie it can be made to hang more or less straight. Then tighten the tie.

Most of the time mine was on a stick with a wooden hook on it. Stick it down the hole, adjust it more or less straight and lack some snow or ice chips on the "hook" to secure it. Easy to fine tune to see your jig.

Biggest difference with a boat 'ducer is (usually) a wider cone angle. Sure, it's nice to see what's directly below and have better target separation but hey, it's still light years better than none. Really the only other difference is the shape and the ease of it hanging straighter.

I did eventually get a Vexilar and yes, it did double duty for several years as a bow mount on my boat. Atrer all I'd been flasher savvy for over a decade by then. Finally ditched that and went to LCDs as I wanted GPS and mapping on the boat. Yep, those still do double duty on hard water. Love the GPS to walk/drive right to spots (many saved during open water) and mapping to scout new territory.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline wreese3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2022, 12:02 PM »
here's my setup... works well for me and cheaper than spending the extra money on the ice-ducer.

Offline wryan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2022, 01:57 PM »
That picture looks like what I had in mind.  Thanks for all the input guys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.