Author Topic: handheld gps  (Read 2265 times)

Offline cornerback21

• Team IceShanty Regular
handheld gps
« on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:07 AM »
This week I'm looking to buy a gps, whats a gps I should check out. So far the one I'm debating on getting is the lawrance endura, outback or something like that? Using it for ice fishing only so I know I will need a lakemaster chip. Thanks

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: handheld gps
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:14 AM »
Deloreme has some real nice hand helds,  lots of options, one of them being able to use an ariel photo. I also have used garmen rhinos and like them as well.  They have hand held radios built in and will show you the location of other people with rhinos in your area so if you have buddys with them its a neat feature and you can talk back and forth using your gps.  I use them for hunting  and for work as well.

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:47 AM »
I have been a fan of Garmins products for a while now. I am on my second hand held, and my wife and I both have Garmin GPS's in our vehicles. The thing that I like about Garmin is that they are very user friendly. I would at least look into them.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:00 AM »
if you have a smart phone, why not download the app for lake topography?

onice2013

« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:31 AM »
[/quote I  I heard that works too. I don't have a smart phone but if that is an available feature, I am interested in learning more how that works on ice. I guess the map ap is needed to pinpoint the holes you can mark for next trip on a lake but, a fishermen using any handheld GPS is still going to have to use a sonar to locate specific drops and structure location.  I think the cons for all this miraculous  devices and the technology isn't so smart for the future of conservation of a once simple peaceful outdoor pass time. FISH can be located by people looking to hook and eat them.. other people using the technology to hook other people to basically do the same thing (hook eat em)  China wants, third worlds want..we want smartphones..everybody wants to outsmart the next smart..Poor fishy we are smart but not as smart with smart phones :-\

Offline dewey123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2012, 10:03 AM »
i have a delorme. i like it.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:58 PM »
I have the delorme PN-40. It's a great unit but i find the software complex.  I'm not very tech savvy. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:58 PM »
I too, have a delorme. I wish i knew before buying it that it is not very easy to use, i think you really need to sit down with the device and the manual and study before it is "user friendly". If i were to ever purchase another unit it wouldmbe a garmin, but to be honest, my iphone does everything the delorme is supposed to.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2012, 05:20 PM »

I have a few lakes that I fish that will get absolutely no cell service and no matter what I download and no matter what phone I have used, they all need cell service to use any gps function.

I have used a Garmin Etrex Vista since the day they came out with that model about 15 years ago.

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2012, 05:46 PM »
 I have a garmin  and like it, I have no idea(tech) what I'm doing but it works well for me.

Offline Weatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:18 PM »
I have a garmin with the Upper Midwest Fishing Guide card. I really like the performance of lakes shown in high definition (listed in blue on their website).
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=106922

Offline Weatherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:20 PM »
I use a Garmin and really like using their Upper Midwest Fishig Guide map (especially high def versions of lake maps!).  If you want to see a listing of the lakes covered by this card or DVD go to: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=106922

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:23 PM »
i got  the garmin venture hc at basspro it is like $120 for it and another $100 for the lakes chip. so 220 total +s&h. which has been good to me so check it out and also do not neglect to check out the site sponsors like fishusa.com and fleetfarm.com good deals there too.

here is the exact model it is a bundle at bass pro for 119.00

http://www.basspro.com/Garmin-eTrex-Venture-HC-Handheld-GPS-Bundle/product/1211051152/

this is ware i got the us lake map for mine i also can get many more here.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8707

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:02 PM »
I have the garmen 62s with a lake chip does everything I want plus. Way better than the 15 year old Magellan that a friend gave me a couple of years ago. Very user friendly.
:icefish:

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:26 PM »
Garmins are hands down the go to brand, no offense to the other brands  mentioned.  I have never had any experience with delorme.  A 62 series will do everything and more.  A vista HC or HCX is also a great choice and can upload maps.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Garmin is more popular, but not necessarily better.  I have an old Lowrance iFinder Expedition C and a Garmin Rino.  The screen on the Rino is too small.  The buttons and functions are not as easy to use.  They waste valuable microprocessor space with games and junk.  But they have a patent on peer to peer location.  I would rather use the old Lowrance than the Garmin.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

onice2013

« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:51 PM »
What if there is no service on the lake I fish using smart phone? Is the Garmin more dependable than cell phone service? Where can I find the lake map chip needed for my regional lakes?..  Or is there a regional lake map software that must be purchased before it can be downloaded?  tia

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Have a Garmin 62st and love it. Accuracy is generally less than 10ft most time because of the external antenna.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:00 PM »
What chip are you guys using in the Garmin 62s and where do you get it?

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:19 PM »
What if there is no service on the lake I fish using smart phone? Is the Garmin more dependable than cell phone service? Where can I find the lake map chip needed for my regional lakes?..  Or is there a regional lake map software that must be purchased before it can be downloaded?  tia

garmins is more dependable then cell phones the lake map dvd and chips can be purchased at buy.garmin.com at the link above just find what unit you need or bought or want and look up the software offered.

this is why i found the venture hc was not bad.   of corse there is better out ther but at $200-$500 more for it.  do i relay want t o do it just for fishing and hunting could but is it needed that bad? it one of those i can but should i or do i need to or could i do with out i admit the screen is a tad small but readable for $120 what can you expect now $500-$800 i expect a small flat screen tv lol's. you see my point btw the venture hc is water proof  and has us lake and upper mid west lakes maps you can buy. you can also buy maps for mexico and so on south america centeral america canada europe etc... they range from $9.99 - $100 the only difference between the venture hcx and the venture hc is memory and those small sd cards. more memory for the hcx and less for the hc for the price of 50 bucks more no big deal. this is ware you got to do the research your self ande see what you can do with and with out is my point here. and be educated when you buy the clerk does not know what you can do with out he just see comission. any ways wish you luck it is tuff but in the long run the right gps copuld save your life and make life easier.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:20 PM »
I get most of my maps off a free website. gpsfiledepot.com then use Garmin Basecamp to upload them to my 62st. You can find some bathymetric maps there for some lakes in each state. Some state fish and wildlife departments publish Garmin compatible bathymetric map sets, North Dakota G&F for one. http://gf.nd.gov/maps

Then there are individuals on this website that have taken there own time to turn bathumetric maps they have into map set.
Here's a set by TooLucky406 for MT  www.box.com/s/8wztyegfqzfw1jku3q9c 
his post on it:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=202841.msg2333329#msg2333329

And his post on Wisconsin maps:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=203280.msg1997202#msg1997202

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:23 PM »
I get most of my maps off a free website. gpsfiledepot.com then use Garmin Basecamp to upload them to my 62st. You can find some bathymetric maps there for some lakes in each state. Some state fish and wildlife departments publish Garmin compatible bathymetric map sets, North Dakota G&F for one. http://gf.nd.gov/maps

Then there are individuals on this website that have taken there own time to turn bathumetric maps they have into map set.
Here's a set by TooLucky406 for MT  www.box.com/s/8wztyegfqzfw1jku3q9c 
his post on it:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=202841.msg2333329#msg2333329

And his post on Wisconsin maps:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=203280.msg1997202#msg1997202

north dakota fish and game is awesome i wish michigan would invest some time in to mapping the lakes!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:29 PM »
I use the lakemaster, Michigan chip, serves my purpose. I am not sure but I thought lakemaster was bought by ******* **** and the sd cards for garmin were being discontinued.

Just a piece of info, be sure to calibrate the compass in adverse weather conditions, or when traveling great distances, I think that's even in the manual, I calibrate often. The barometric trend screen is nice too, requires the unit to stay on to get a accurate graph. Battery life for me is wonderfull, but I do keep an extra set with my gear.
:icefish:

onice2013

« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:36 PM »
Seismec, Thanks for sharing some great info. I am interested in a low priced model for ice fishing. I do not know much about these devices and must do some research. ty again

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2012, 05:39 AM »
From what I understand you can get a lot of Lake maps for free for the garmen. You'll have to do some searching and hang out at some of the GPS forms to figure out where the websites are. I have the PN 40 and there's nothing free for it.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

onice2013

« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2012, 07:32 AM »
The way I'm reading into so far , These devices probably do not offer contour lake maps.  Most the lakes are less 1000 surface acres. I suppose I could opt for a cheap model or used one to map point the spots on the small lakes and ponds I fish. It isn't like I want one for much else. If this idea works with the hundred dollar gps brands/models I may be interested. I only walk a mile or two at best with a small sled, not snowmobiling on ice on big water just thinking something practical for mapping the points and drops etc. I happen to find myself pulling a sled. As for now, I learned enough hotspots on one favorite lake just by using my shoreline landmarks and my 5.6 marcum showdown ;D

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:31 AM »
I've been doing some online research on hand held GPS's the last couple weeks..
If you google discussions on them you will find the Garmin 62,Delorne 40 and Lowrance H2o(H2oC) get alot of attention from fisherman..

Since I know the lakes I fish will not show contour lines I'm leaning more towards a used unit or a new Garmin Etrex 20

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:45 AM »
i have the delorme pn-60 with navionic lake maps and love it. I find the spots I want to try, save it on the gps, and can usually get within 20 feet of the structure I'm looking for. Navionic lake maps are extra though but very detail on the major lakes.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Cabela's has the Garmin Oregon 550t for $250.00 right now, thats 300.00 off the original price. This is a great unit and has a built in camera.

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Cabela's has the Garmin Oregon 550t for $250.00 right now, thats 300.00 off the original price. This is a great unit and has a built in camera.

Took the words right out my mouth,just ordered mine last nite,what a deal
Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.