Author Topic: Targeting Panfish  (Read 790 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Targeting Panfish
« on: Aug 28, 2018, 02:12 PM »
I like to learn more about what others are looking for when targeting panfish.  I have my own ideas, but what do you look for when it comes to contour, vegetation, etc throughout the year?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Targeting Panfish
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Green weed edges close to drop offs for early ice,mid ice find suspended panfish over deep water or if you still have green weeds the fish will be there.late ice panfish return to the same areas as early ice.varies with oxygen level too late ice.basically green weeds hold food and oxygen.mid ice weeds die and are oxygen void thats why panfish suspend over deep water.late ice life starts returning to shallows again when oxygen levels rises again due to melting ice and water washing in the holes.jmo

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2018, 03:01 PM »
The Doctor gave some great tips. Along with those, I like to take Dave Genz approach and find a sticky bottom. Drop a lead depth finder and let it hit bottom (with its own weight). If it hits hard, you’re on a rocky or a hard sand bottom (might be good for walleye). If it hits and sinks and is “tough” to lift, it’s usualy a very soft silty bottom. If the lead weight sticks just a little bit and takes almost no effort to lift, then it’s the perfect muddy bottom. On these bottoms is where all of the little insects and other invertebrates like to burrow in the substrate and where  there’s tiny invertebrates, there will more than likely be panfish. Green weeds in these areas is also a must. The weeds give off oxygen. Low oxygen=low probability of fish (of any species). Now, if the lake you’re fishing is shallow enough, or spring fed, or has a river inlet/outlet, (an influx of fresh, oxygenated water) these body’s of water can usualy hold green weeds all season. Always look for green weeds.

“Deep”  water can mean different things on different lakes. One of my panfish lakes has an average depth of 6’ and the “deep” end is only 12’ max and it isn’t really a significant portion of the lake. When people think of basin crappies, they usually have a 30’ basin in mind. Well, in my panfish lake, that 12’ hole is the basin.

A lot can also depend on the weather conditions of a particular ice season. Fish don’t know if it’s December or March. A few seasons ago (in central MI) we had “first ice” about 3 times. When we had a thaw and re-freeze in late January, one had to treat it like a first ice bite and not a mid-winter bite because the fish were in “first-ice” mode because that was the weather conditions.

Another thing I like seeing, when drilling a hole, is scuds (freshwater shrimp) coming up through the hole with the auger. Like I said earlier, where’s there’s invertebrates, there’s more than likely panfish. And, if they are big enough to hook, they make great free bait.

Also, if using a sonar, fish some of those holes that don’t show any fish. More often than not there ARE fish down there. Drop a jig and see what comes up, you may be surprised. I also keep track of hot holes throughout the day and return to those often if scouting doesn’t prove productive.

Sometimes there isn’t much we can do even if we are marking fish and we are in the prime spots. This is where sonar can help a lot. Fishing blind in these situations can be a hard day fishing.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Don't be afraid to fish the thick stuff either....weeds that is.  Sometimes you have to really work to get that jig down through the weeds, but it can really be worth it.....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2018, 07:18 PM »
Which panfish are you talking?

Perch
Crappie
Blue gill

It makes a difference.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Which panfish are you talking?

Perch
Crappie
Blue gill

It makes a difference.

Crappie and gills.  Perch aren’t too prevalent where I’m at.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2018, 07:55 PM »
And let it be known, that every year is different.  If you found them stacked in an area one winter, don't be surprised if they are totally gone the next winter.  I've seen this happen too many times to say that "you found them".  Every year "can" be different, but if you find "that" spot, good for you. 

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2018, 07:56 PM »
That’s why they call it fishing, not catching.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:00 PM »
The problem is, everything everyone has said is true. They are roaming schools that tend to follow certain patterns, so having a good map of your water is your first step. If you can scout during open water, note where the weed lines are, and transition zones in the bottom structure. That is where I’d start As those act as fish highways while they look for food. If you can’t find those transition zones ahead of time or don’t have an underwater camera, the basics of findthing them is Start shallow, punch out towards deeper water. Around shallow flats and bays, look for drop offs, bottle necks in the contour, any nearby points or slops going towards deep water. Sometimes you’ll find that all the fish are in a certain depth (usually following a weedline or other transition), and just follow that contour. When they are suspended over the basin, it’s all about footwork and punching holes till you find them. Usually when they’re over the basin mid winter, they are in mixed schools. Don’t be surprised to find bass mixed in with the gills and crappie. If your see there’s a hump coming out of the basin somewhere, that’s the spot to try first if they are out over open water.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Crappie and gills.  Perch aren’t too prevalent where I’m at.

Gills are a fish of the weeds in my area. Early on untill the weeds turn brown and O2 levels become low. Weed edges and above the weeds are great spots to find them. Around docks & brush piles. Typically the bigger 9-10in gills are usually in deeper water around brush piles or structure. If  Predator fish like LMB, walleye, pike, or Muskie are in the water in decent numbers you'll find the gills hug tight to cover.

Usually crappie will be mixed in with the gills sporadically. I've found it hard to consistently find crappies in our waters. If you find them suspended in a school it's usually good fishing....but try to find them. They are in our waters and in good numbers just hard to find. I'f found that when I'm fishing gills on a hot bite a lot of times crappie will come in at dusk and bite at night pretty consistently. Night time/dusk seems to work best for a crappie bite around here.

Blow is a pic of crappie I caught at dusk 11-12in fish. It was on a 23 acre lake and I watch guys pop holes all over all day trying to find them with zero luck. At dusk they left. 30min later. Bam the show up from nowhere to bite like nuts.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2018, 04:58 AM »
Gills are a fish of the weeds in my area. Early on untill the weeds turn brown and O2 levels become low. Weed edges and above the weeds are great spots to find them. Around docks & brush piles. Typically the bigger 9-10in gills are usually in deeper water around brush piles or structure. If  Predator fish like LMB, walleye, pike, or Muskie are in the water in decent numbers you'll find the gills hug tight to cover.

Usually crappie will be mixed in with the gills sporadically. I've found it hard to consistently find crappies in our waters. If you find them suspended in a school it's usually good fishing....but try to find them. They are in our waters and in good numbers just hard to find. I'f found that when I'm fishing gills on a hot bite a lot of times crappie will come in at dusk and bite at night pretty consistently. Night time/dusk seems to work best for a crappie bite around here.

Blow is a pic of crappie I caught at dusk 11-12in fish. It was on a 23 acre lake and I watch guys pop holes all over all day trying to find them with zero luck. At dusk they left. 30min later. Bam the show up from nowhere to bite like nuts.

I think that's pretty much the norm. Crappie are usually night time feeders, but can be caught during the day as well.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Yes specks are a lantern in the dark deal.but ive found that they bite all day long on certain bodies of water and the key is murky,silty and stained lakes.clear lakes is always a night bite on those.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Treat them like the predators that they are ...with that in mind fish any edges ...changes in the landscape/structure ... including .depth ...bottom composition..weed type and height  etc...and sticky bottom as mentioned above is important ..you can use your flasher to identify it

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=334480.msg3552987#msg3552987
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.