Author Topic: Nils vs. Kovac II ?  (Read 802 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Nils vs. Kovac II ?
« on: Aug 24, 2018, 05:17 AM »
Well...I have my drill and 4" SM laser auger and now getting ready to pull the trigger on the adapter but on the fence as to which one so...

1) Not really liking the bungee cord thing on the Kovac II (read where it could get in the way of the reverse switch on some drills) and looks like if the drill chuck comes loose I risk losing my auger down the hole.

2) And it looks like the plate on the Nils is about 5-6" in diameter thus preventing my 4" from going through the hole.

Your thoughts? Thanks 
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Nils vs. Kovac II ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2018, 06:45 AM »
Lot of people using the Kovac, Never heard anyone having a problem with them. By the looks of the thing I would guess putting the Bungee under the switch should be fine.
<===Lefty===

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2018, 07:41 AM »
I have the Kovac and the bungee cord goes over the back of your drill.  It's saved my auger a handful of times as I learned how to use the setup.  There is no issue with the cord blocking the reverse switch on my drill.  If, for some reason, it does block it, you would just move the bungee cord over for a second to push the button.  I really like the adapter.

With that being said, I also acquired the Nils adapter that I look forward to using this year.  It will also prevent the auger from going down the hole if it comes loose. 

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2018, 09:33 AM »
i use kovac 2 and the bungee saves the bit. that's why its on it. saved mine plenty of times would buy again. i wouldn't care for a large plate and like the smaller footprint.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:25 PM »
How often do you need to replace the retainer on this?
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2018, 12:28 PM »
Ive ran a kovac adapter for 5 years now with no problems beside the bungie snapped.easy fix tho.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Going on my 4th season with my nills,love it!
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2018, 04:34 AM »
i use kovac 2 and the bungee saves the bit. that's why its on it. saved mine plenty of times would buy again. i wouldn't care for a large plate and like the smaller footprint.

3300...what do you mean by smaller footprint with the Kovac...smaller/lighter? I am trying to make my set-up as light as possible without giving up performance ( 3.5# drill, 4" auger, etc.). And I would think that the plate that is on the Nils "might" help keep the drill/battery off of the ice when I lay it down.  ??? :-\

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2018, 05:14 AM »
While looking around and deciding what to do, I found this. Anyone tried it yet? With the drill adapter, still runs about $25.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/strikemaster-drill-flange?a=2141100

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2018, 05:25 AM »
I use an 8" Nils with their "plate" adapter - works fine and not is not in the way at all.  It has saved my auger a couple of times, or more.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:41 PM »
3300...what do you mean by smaller footprint with the Kovac...smaller/lighter? I am trying to make my set-up as light as possible without giving up performance ( 3.5# drill, 4" auger, etc.). And I would think that the plate that is on the Nils "might" help keep the drill/battery off of the ice when I lay it down.  ??? :-\
meaning how much space it takes. also, it is light weight being a fiber washer and bungee cord.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2018, 04:35 AM »
meaning how much space it takes. also, it is light weight being a fiber washer and bungee cord.

:thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.