Author Topic: ION X AUGER  (Read 763 times)

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
ION X AUGER
« on: Aug 23, 2018, 05:11 PM »
I have been looking at the Ion augers for a few years now.

last year a guy was nice enough to let me use his, I was very impressed.

I have heard some complaints about ice building up on the blade to the point it wouldn't work properly.
to my surprise, there was much debate on this, some quite heated  :P

I also wrote the company and this is the information I received:

Joe,

Thank you for contacting us. We did have some augers that iced up due to material finish however it wasn't on all augers. We are always striving to improve our product and quality and believe we have resolved the issue. The customers that called and experienced this issue had their augers replaced at no charge under warranty.

If you purchase any of our products warranty registration needs to be filed within 30 days and there are several ways to do this: call customer service 800-345-6007 and we will register you via the phone, online, or by mailing in the warranty card. We recommend you make a copy of the purchase receipt and put it with your manual for future reference. Please call customer service at any time with questions or concerns so we can address them immediately.

Thank you again for contacting us and considering purchasing our product.

Regards,
Eva

Other than that, all I've heard have been rave reviews on them.

They have even come out with a 10" blade which is nice for sight fishing.

I am thinking of going with the 8" Ion X as a good all around auger.

Do all of the Ion owners like their auger as much as ive heard?

My apologies if this has already been discussed.

Thanks  :tipup:

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ION X AUGER
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2018, 05:34 PM »
I do ! I'd also look into a drill set up,lots of people prefer them ,just not me.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I wanted to always get a certain brand that is no longer in business.   So I was set on getting a ion.   The down side for it is was always the cutting speed.   Even slower with a 10" blade.  I really liked a 10" hole as it takes longer to freeze up.   But since I have stepped down to a 8" and got a kdrill.

I like how light it is, and the ability to use the drill in the off season. 
Don

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2018, 06:28 PM »
I do ! I'd also look into a drill set up,lots of people prefer them ,just not me.
  I have been using the Drill setup for a long time and have never owned a gas one. My first electric was an Ice Gator and unlike others had a great experience with it .No problems in the 5 Years I owned it but the only thing was, IT WAS A HEAVY BEAST. My lastest drill setup is a BOSCH 36 VOLT drill and Clamplate conversion. This eats ice!!! Batteries are not an issue as I keep them warm. I have never used a second battery in all the ice fishing I have done. But honestly here in WNY our Lakes don't have 2-4 ft of ice on them.One thing with a drill, if it goes bad, just buy another.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2018, 07:46 PM »
I have the first generation of ions, and still going strong. Its not crazy fast, but fast enough, when or if it dies i will buy another its just to damn easy.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2018, 08:40 PM »
My only experience with ion is a buddy of mine. To be completely blunt I don’t see how the ion auger stays in business much longer. Way over priced. Extra battery is 200. Seriously? They are slow as heck. Regardless if they soleved the issue of ice building up on the blades it’s slow and over priced. Get a drill setup with a Milwaukee and the auger of your choice. Cheaper and faster than an ion. The only reason to buy is because you are afraid of actually building a drill setup with clam plate etc. to pay 600 for an ion X is just plain crazy imo. Rant over. I am just a value guy and the ion X is up there to the worst value in ice fishing. Sorry ion fans. To each their own.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Great auger. Love mine. Had my auger bit replaced under warranty with zero issues to resolve the icing issue. Get one, you won’t regret it.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2018, 12:49 PM »
I got 1 of the first ION X 8in augers and did have the ice up issue. They were very quick to replace it at no cost to me. I had 1 other issue with it, the trigger stopped working, they sent me a new handle assembly with the trigger/switch inside. Taking the old one off, I found that it was a connector that came off so now I have an extra trigger/switch assembly at no cost.

I dont have any concerns with how fast it cuts, works fine for me and if Im panfishing in thick ice, my 6" lazer hand auger fits on the extension provided so I can drill more holes that I would care to. With the 8" bit on, I have punched 30 holes thru 20in of ice and had over 50% left on the battery

That said, the price is high and if I was in the market for a new auger and had to pay full prices, I may go a different way

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I had issues with my 10" gas auger last year early in the season and decided I was done with gas.  I got and Ion X 10 and I love it.  Most of the time I put in 10-20 holes with out the battery going down at all.  The most holes I drilled in a day was around 30 +/- holes through 24" of ice and only had it go down to 50%, so I see no reason for spare battery.   I have not had any issues with icing of the blade.     

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2018, 11:39 AM »
I'm sure you have heard this but a drill set up with a clam plate feels like a traditional gas auger/ ion etc but its just so more versatile. If something breaks on it as unlikely as that may be its easy to replace. I have a milwaukee  M18, clam plate, and a mora. I wouldnt have another traditional power ice auger again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.