Author Topic: Flies, Nymphs, scuds? Usable through the ice?  (Read 9421 times)

AJPeacock

Flies, Nymphs, scuds? Usable through the ice?
« on: Nov 30, 2003, 01:49 PM »
Howdy all,

More novice questions here.  Since my wife is a great fly-tier, I have tons of great flies that I use during open water.  Will any of them do double duty?  What about patterns that she could tie for me that would target specific requirements through the ice?

Thanks,
Don "AJ" Peacock

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Flies, Nymphs, scuds? Usable through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2003, 02:17 PM »
Don, you bet they work through the ice!!  So long as you can present them properly while jigging vertically they'll work.  It also depends on which species you target.  I mainly rely on ice flies for finicky trout, but I sometimes use them on perch and whitefish as well.  They'll work on any species that key to aquatic insects.  Of course flies that represent other food forms such as leeches or baitfish work as well.  The flies I use through the ice are heavier weighted than what I use in open water. Just to get them down faster.  

Any flies that are representative of aquatic insects that are available to fish in winter ie: scuds, chironimids(midge larva), Backswimmers,  Waterboatman are great choices.  I also tie various patterns on standard 1/64 or 1/32 oz jigs, just to give you more control when jigging.  If you don't like tying on jigs, just use beadheads on your flies.  One of the simplest to tie, and most effective winter trout patterns I have found, is to tie a marabou tail on a standard jig and it's ready to fish.  Looks extremely alive in the water.  Even if you're trying not to move it...

Trevor

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2003, 04:16 PM »
I frequently use scuds and hairs ear nymphs as a dropper fly 6"-18" above a jig. I like to tip them with a single spike.

Try varying the color patterns. My favorite is a scud with a red body and yellow tail. Bluegills, crappies and perch love it!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

icefishnfool

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2003, 06:17 PM »
Trevor ...where are you catching whitefish ????? hook me up ....

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2003, 06:51 PM »
Icefishinfool, I'm in western Canada.  When you're up my way, drop me a line I'll give you an idea of where to go....

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2003, 10:08 AM »
I use more ice flies than jigs with live bait. I've caught bluegill,crappie(the 2 spiecies I usually target) perch, lg mouth bass and even pike( the bass and pike usually break off the 2# line)  Many times I've seen crappie and bass swim right by a minnow and inhale a tiny fly.  I tie them myself on a #12 hook Thread, lead, more thread usually a different color on the head. I use a lot of balloon flies,  tied with a little strip of balloon.  Most bait shops carry some ice flies. I catch more fish on these little flies than I ever did on live bait.  I know some guy's that have gone completly to fishing with flies.  Try them you will like the result.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Maze1162

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2003, 03:21 PM »
I have had great success with flies and ants when ice fishing~!  Use a dropper rig and alternate what position your fly is in to find the best for that spot and day.  I've even seen guys use them in tandem just like you would when fly fishing.  I have some 1/32 and 1/64 oz and picked up a couple of 1/100th to try this year.  Want them tested in NY waters?  I'd be happy to pay for them and the shipping and then give you a report, for the fun of it, if you'd like.  I can't tie due to an injury and nerve problems so I have to buy mine.  I haven't been able to convince my girl to tie for me yet, but I'm trying !!!  I can still, and do, build custom rods, eve ice rods.  It's harder with the small diameter of the ice rod blanks, but I enjoy it.  Want to work a trade?
                                                         Maze

Wingsfan

« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:31 PM »
AJ, do you have ice in the lapeer area.  I grew up in Burton and I'm going to be home Christmas week.  Was thinking about throwing some equipment in the SUV and doing some fishing if there is ice.

AJPeacock

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:37 PM »
takitUsoB,

Well, we did have until it rained all day and hovered around 40 degrees all day.  I think the
majority of it is either covered or gone :(.  But, there's still a couple weeks till Christmas, so
there is still a chance.  Stay in touch and I'll keep you posted.  Any old favorite haunts that
you're interested in?

Later,
AJ

AJ, do you have ice in the lapeer area.  I grew up in Burton and I'm going to be home Christmas week.  Was thinking about throwing some equipment in the SUV and doing some fishing if there is ice.

Wingsfan

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:52 PM »
Used to fish Lake Nepessing (sorry for the spelling) alot and then a few other little lakes don't remember the names or exact locations.  Its been over 15 yrs.  Back then we were usually just looking for some gills to eat.  Thanks for the info and i'll check back with you in a few weeks for condiitons.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.