Author Topic: Venison Jerky  (Read 4426 times)

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Venison Jerky
« on: Dec 21, 2005, 01:03 PM »
I'm attempting to make venison jerky for the first time and was wondering what recipes everyone uses? I just bought a small dehydrator but have heard a conventional oven works better.

I don't have any recipes yet for jerky, but I'll share an unbelievable recipe I use for steaks...

Soak steaks overnight in a bowl filled with 3/4 Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, 1/4 seasoned italian dressing.  Sprinkle crushed red pepper, parsley and add a splash of Red Hot in there too.  Wait about 12-15 hours and grill to perfection.   
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Venison Jerky
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2005, 01:11 PM »
Somebody posted this recipe on here last year. I can't remember who. I have tried it several times and it is great.

1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup worchester sauce

This is for 1-2 lbs of meat. I usually make big batches of it. Let it soak for a few days. Dry in oven over low heat with the door open a little ( I put a spoon in door) or in a smoker.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2005, 02:02 PM »
tablespoon garlic powder
tablespoon salt
tablespoon onion
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1/2 - 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons Gravy Master
enough olive oil to make it a little liquidy

I marinate it 12 hours, then I dry it in a smoker over charcoal and small pieces of fresh apple branches.  Takes between 6 - 8 hours, depending on the temps outside.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2005, 02:31 PM »
If you want to take the easy generic way, get a couple of jerky mixes from Bass Pro or Cabelas.  I got some last year and the jerky came out great (although my homemade receipe is very close to the one mentioned above).
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Perch Killer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2005, 02:57 PM »
I have made to batches of venison jerky in the past few weeks. I bought a marinade from the store, I tried two different ones and both worked well. Just pick out the one you like. Before you put your meat in the marinade, poke each side with a fork several times, (I never did this in the past but it does make a difference) I marinade mine from anywhere from 1 to 3 days, mixing or shaking periodically. Then take it out and put it in the dyhidrator. I've used both the dyhidrator and the oven in the past and the dyhidrator does a way better job and is less mess. As you lay the jerky in the dyhidrator, sprinkle your spices on the meat. I use mcormicks steak seasoning.  Mine usually takes about 6-7 hrs to finish. Hope this helps.
Bill

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:10 PM »
"...mixing and shaking periodically"

;D ;D ;D
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:13 PM »
I have tried the dehydrater,oven and my smoker and like the dehydrater the best. I also use ground venison and a jerky shooter. It works like a caulk gun. Got mine at Wal-mart, they sell spice kits too. I make up my own seasonings too. The gun works great,either the flat jerky or the round ones(slim jims) 4 and1/2 to 5 hrs. in the dehydrater and you're good to go !!!

Offline theozon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • you got to hook'em to cook'em baby
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2005, 08:18 AM »
THIS IS THE ONE I TRIED THIS YEAR. VERY HARD TO KEEP THE STUFF AROUND VERY LONG. MADE 5 LBS AND WAS GONE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. DON'T FORGET THE PEPSI.
http://www.microwebtech.com/

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2005, 03:17 PM »
I have tried many marinades but the easiest I found is called big buck cure it is a powder mix and it just shakes on.. Has good flavor and keeps a long time!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2005, 01:05 PM »
I like making my own marinade and prefer marinade over dry seasonings.  I place the meat strips in a zip lock bag pour in the marinade, close and shake well.  I then squeeze out as much air as possible and reseal.  I then place in fridge for a couple of days kneading the bag several times during that time.  I then drain in a collander and then smoke it.  I finish in a dehydrator.

Chris
Cheese Head

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:04 PM »
How do you all think the jerky shooter method would work with moose hamburg??  My intuition says that meat is meat, so it should be fine...any experience??

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Ground moose will work fine. If you grind your own,use the small grinding plate. I have tried many different meats. They all work fine. Believe it or not, one of my favorite jerky meats is Goose. Good luck !!

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:13 PM »
one of my favorite jerky meats is Goose
Interesting...

Thanks!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:18 PM »
When you are making jerky, for your own health, do not forget to put "prague powder" into your spice blend.  Salt alone will not cure the meat or provide the required safety margin of the finished product.  It is sodium nitrate on a salt carrier.  This cures the meat, giving the required keeping qualities.  It also gives the characteristic color of any cured meat.

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Goose to me is a heavier meat than most game birds; I enjoy roasting it or smoking it but it also grounds up and makes a wonderful jeky. My buddies couln't believe it when I pulled it out one duck season and said we we're eating goose jerky.Try it and let me know what you think..

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:36 PM »
I bought the "Shore Lunch" jerkey kit.  Ground 3 1/2lbs venison and used it and it worked great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.