The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Upper Red lake advice  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
Upper Red lake advice
« on: Jan 08, 2016, 06:52 PM »
I'm planning on going to Upper Red Lake for the first time. From what I can tell it's basically a featureless lake with not much structure. So far the only advice I'd been given was stay away from the crowds. Hoping to catch Walleys and Crappies. Would any of you Red Lake veterans be willing to share some advice? Not looking for secret spots or lures, just perhaps some starting points. Thanks in advance.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline mickmickl

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Upper Red lake advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Center bar is a good place to start, other then that is is a very featureless lake, (I call it the aquarium) I do agree stay away from the crowds but that can be hard to do at times when busy.just make sure you know ware you are on the lake, there is a border about 6 miles out from the east shore line you cannot fish.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2016, 09:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

Offline VORK23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2016, 12:59 PM »
I fish red a few time a year and live just over an hour north of there. Usually what works best for us is to drive out the ice road a ways and just start checking areas for fish. I personally don't care for red anymore cause it is so crowded, only can have 3 walleyes and the crappies are very though to find.lake of the woods is so much better and is the same distance for me but I can bring home 8 fish instead of 3

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2016, 03:47 PM »
Thanks pal. I found a live camera on Rogers resort site and its steady traffic on and off the lake. You just confirmed what I was thinking. Perhaps too crowded. Thanks for your input.

Offline VORK23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2016, 05:19 PM »
Thanks pal. I found a live camera on Rogers resort site and its steady traffic on and off the lake. You just confirmed what I was thinking. Perhaps too crowded. Thanks for your input.

No problem. If you want to come to MN to fish check out lake winnibigoshish, leech lake and lake of the woods. Winnie can have a very good perch bit along with walleyes and it is connected too cutFoot Sioux lakes that can have some really good panfish and in my opinion is overlooked by people who always here about red lake and lake of the woods.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Ok great advice. I sure appreciate it. I made two trips to leech last year and did pretty good on walleys. May try that again also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.