Author Topic: Present Ice Conditions......  (Read 3322 times)

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Present Ice Conditions......
« on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:41 PM »

Been out this morning looking for safe ice in my neck of the woods,found 2 to 3 in.
                any other info would be appreciated........... Has anyone been out fishing yet ?????
                    (Northern Indiana)                Thanks,
                                                                jhc

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Present Ice Conditions......
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:44 PM »
fished small channels around cromwell area today bite was slow..  little over 2 inches,  same just about everywhere...  maybe better tommorow

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2007, 02:34 PM »
Went through my pond with one whack of my spud....lots of warmer geothermal water dumps into the pond so that must be holding things up a little bit.... Only about 1.5 inches or so

Offline jerknperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:16 PM »
I'm sitting here at work at my desk for 12 hrs. today and 12 hrs. tomorrow.  Off all next weekend and plan on heading up towards angola.  Hope the snow doesn't kill the ice tomorrow.  I believe five of us are heading up on thurs. night and staying til sunday.  Hope the ice is good!  Can't call off another trip.  Come on ice!!

Offline perch on ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Checked a pond this afternoon.  ice was anywhere from 1 to 2.5 inches.  I was dissapointed because this pond has been locked up since tuesday and hasn't made much ice since thursday morning.  Headed to angola next weekend with jerkin perch and a few others. Can anybody tell us about the walleye at Sylvan lake in Rome city?  Stay away snow and come on ICE.

Offline Edge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best Friends!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Checked a small pond in Ft Wayne this morning had 2 inches.  I also checked out a couple lakes north of Kendallville this evening.  Cree, Big Long, and Pretty were all pretty much open.  The boat ramp at Big Long is open, while the ramp at Pretty has about 1.5 inches.  I didn't stop at Cree, but the ice around the ramp looked solid.  Cree has a lot of channels anybody ever fish these?   

Slyvan should have a good walleye population considering that the DNR has been stocking it with advanced fingerlings for the last four or five years.  I don't know about the size, but it should have a good number of fish.  I've only been on it a couple times, but it has nice bluegill and bass as well.

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:32 PM »
I have fished Cree in the summer several times...nice gills in there..Fished the channels a couple yrs ago and only caught a couple dinks.  We were a day or two late as we heard " You should have been here a couple days ago, they were biting liek crazy"

Offline TipUp67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2007, 07:07 AM »
Going out to check Stratton Porter and Brady's Landing today on Sylvan. 

Offline jerknperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2007, 07:14 AM »
Going out to check Stratton Porter and Brady's Landing today on Sylvan. 

Can't wait to here whats going on.  We are getting a LOT of snow here just west of Indy.  Me and "Perch on ice"  are really interested in what you find today.  Hopefully we'll be fine coming up this Friday.  Hope you don't get the snow we've got.  It might ruin everything.

Offline resophonic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:17 AM »
I have been watching Worster lake [ Potato Creek State Park] all week. East end locked up om Tuesday and Wednesday ice was 1" to 1.5". Went on the fishing piers to drill holes and check thickness. Thursday ice was breaking away from all shore lines and was getting water on top in some places. Due to the wind a large area opened up in front of the nature center. Friday was getting worse at the shore line. Saturday it tightened up a little. At 10 a.m. here we have 2" of new snow and another 2" on the way.That should pretty well do it for any ice making for awhile. I just don't think it will happen here this week anyway.It may get colder at end of week but forcast calling for heavy snow  Wednesday and Thursday. [ Lake effect variety] If we get any good ice I will keep you posted.

Offline jerknperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:44 AM »
I have been watching Worster lake [ Potato Creek State Park] all week. East end locked up om Tuesday and Wednesday ice was 1" to 1.5". Went on the fishing piers to drill holes and check thickness. Thursday ice was breaking away from all shore lines and was getting water on top in some places. Due to the wind a large area opened up in front of the nature center. Friday was getting worse at the shore line. Saturday it tightened up a little. At 10 a.m. here we have 2" of new snow and another 2" on the way.That should pretty well do it for any ice making for awhile. I just don't think it will happen here this week anyway.It may get colder at end of week but forcast calling for heavy snow  Wednesday and Thursday. [ Lake effect variety] If we get any good ice I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the info.  Things start to look good and then mother nature has to be the witch she is and ruin it.  I hope everything turns out.  I can't wait much longer.

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:44 AM »
We got 4-5 inches of snow in southern Huntington County overnight. That will not be good. >:( >:(

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2007, 01:34 PM »
We fished a Cree channel yesterday.  The ice was iffy shouldnt probably have been out there.  The ice was about a inch and half to a inch in 3/4 in most spots.  NO FISH!!!! marked a few but no takers.  I didnt even have a bite.

Yogi

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2007, 03:45 PM »
This pic was from yesterday....

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2007, 04:35 PM »
 checked out the lakes in my area,goose75-80% open,little crooked 90% open,across the street at big lake It looked to be locked in at the access site.Maybe next weekend for big lake,I didn't have time to check ice thickness.The warm weather really slowed ice making,as does the warmer water temps which we would not normally have this time of year >:( :'( >:( :'(

Offline musicmanmobiledj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2007, 05:31 PM »
1 3/4 to 2 on north snow bay with a little activity, i couldnt wait any longer, hey percheyes you do any fishing at loon lake i grew up on county line road and used to have good luck there i still like to go there when time permits

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:54 PM »
I fished Gilead and Little Long on Sat both were very poor the fish just aren't in the areas that they usually are. Today I fished North Snow at Hickory Island very very poor again the fish just aren't in there. later we fished Tip-up Island and we did better there than any where else.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2007, 07:03 PM »
Checked a few lakes and ponds around rockville, brazil, and terre haute, area open to like skim wind moderate it doesn't looks promising for any time soon.
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:11 AM »
A couple of us got onto a channel at Cree lake in Noble county yesterday morning. There was only about 2" or so of ice but it was hard and clear. Now it has snowed a little bit and the temps have moderated again. It will probably be a while before it makes any more ice. Also if the sun comes out I wouldn't trust it with the snow on it.

Offline Edge

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Best Friends!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:16 PM »
For those of you who fish the channels on Cree, how is the parking situation?  I'm assuming we're talking about the channels on the northeast end.  Just curious if the property owners give you any grief.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2007, 08:38 PM »
There is a little bit of parking along the woods at the far north channel. But the areas farther back where people used to park are now blocked off by the property owners.

Offline scot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:54 AM »
fire831 have you check out simpson pond. buddy here at work was asking about it.

Offline TipUp67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Can't wait to here whats going on.  We are getting a LOT of snow here just west of Indy.  Me and "Perch on ice"  are really interested in what you find today.  Hopefully we'll be fine coming up this Friday.  Hope you don't get the snow we've got.  It might ruin everything.

Stratton Porter was locked in and will probably be ready this weekend.  Not nearly as much snow just enough for some good traction.  Brady's was partially open last week and with the wind we have had who knows.

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:29 PM »
musicman I was on loon wenesday evening for a couple hours.First time I Ice fished this lake in very long time.The fishing was good but,no keepers.The Ice thickness was about 2".Channel was pretty well locked in except where it emties into the main part of the lake.

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:03 PM »
fire831 have you check out simpson pond. buddy here at work was asking about it.
Have not been back there yet. I might check it out tomorrow. Ice is covered with snow on most lakes and ponds around me.

Offline musicmanmobiledj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2007, 07:04 PM »
percheyes have you done any fishing on round or little cedar i used to like those alot plus easy access as long as the channel freezes at round, little crooked was always a nice spot for me as well out in front of purdue building nice gills and bass and no damn snowmobiles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.