Author Topic: Marsh Lake  (Read 953 times)

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marsh Lake
« on: Jan 09, 2024, 01:34 PM »
Poking around google maps to find some smaller lakes in case the wind keeps big water from freezing next week.

I know marsh lake has been talked about in a few past threads on here, but people always keep referencing "crane marsh lake" and "marsh lake" as if they are 2 separate bodies of water.... and I'm confused because I don't see a "crane marsh lake" anywhere.

Some even correct those who say crane and say it is in fact Green Lake they are thinking of (the one that apparently had a fish kill in 2009 and sits under I 69 near the outlet malls in fremont)

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone can clear up my confusion on which lake in fact had the fish kill back in 09? Is there such thing as crane marsh lake? and also if anyone has recently fished Marsh, Green, or Failing lakes?
Limit your kill - Don't kill your limit!

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
Re: Marsh Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2024, 04:45 AM »
Crane marsh is a separate lake/pond. It is east of Marsh, while green is west and slightly north of Marsh. I 69 actually crosses Green lake just before the toll road. I believe Crane marsh froze out (or was fished out) a while back, not very deep. There for a few years (way back) it was like a city out there, hard to even find a place to fish. I think it was created for waterfowl and wasn't stocked with fish.

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2024, 07:19 AM »
Thanks for the clarification. Looks like google maps/navionics chart viewer doesn't even classify it as a lake anymore. That's why I was so confused.

But yeah I found it, due east of marsh lake and looks like it has a lot of algae. Starting to all make sense!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:46 PM »
Crane Marsh has a lot of big Gills in it, or so it did last time I fished it. Every single one I caught was loaded with grubs. Cranes...Marsh....Grub s...hand in hand.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2024, 12:26 PM »
Crane Marsh has a lot of big Gills in it, or so it did last time I fished it. Every single one I caught was loaded with grubs. Cranes...Marsh....Grub s...hand in hand.

Have you / anyone else fished in the last few years?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:31 PM »
Have you / anyone else fished in the last few years?

Been a few years but unless they discouraged Heron's and Migratory birds combined with it's shallowness...there are still grubs. Now, they won't hurt you according to the district biologist but it's hard to overcome the unsightlyness of them.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline CL_Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:52 PM »
Been a few years but unless they discouraged Heron's and Migratory birds combined with it's shallowness...there are still grubs. Now, they won't hurt you according to the district biologist but it's hard to overcome the unsightlyness of them.

Wait when you say the gills were loaded with grubs, what do you mean exactly? Like in the filet??

Offline perch on ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:32 PM »
Jigmup is right. Big gills and full of grubs. Look like huge pepper flakes in the filets. The locals used to keep this place under wraps. I haven't fished it for several years, but if I remember correctly, it was an afternoon bite. Plenty of other places to fish in the area. Pm me if you need direction!

Offline G_ambler84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2024, 11:44 AM »
Crane marsh Is loaded with gills and grubs, I fished it this summer still a ton of big gills and bass. Was out there Wednesday to pull tree stands and it was locked up.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2024, 10:16 PM »
Poking around google maps to find some smaller lakes in case the wind keeps big water from freezing next week.

I know marsh lake has been talked about in a few past threads on here, but people always keep referencing "crane marsh lake" and "marsh lake" as if they are 2 separate bodies of water.... and I'm confused because I don't see a "crane marsh lake" anywhere.

Some even correct those who say crane and say it is in fact Green Lake they are thinking of (the one that apparently had a fish kill in 2009 and sits under I 69 near the outlet malls in fremont)

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone can clear up my confusion on which lake in fact had the fish kill back in 09? Is there such thing as crane marsh lake? and also if anyone has recently fished Marsh, Green, or Failing lakes?
Crane marsh is a run off pond for the now closed toll rd rest area. It was closed to fishing for a long time,when they opened it the fishing was great for awhile but not so good for a few years.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.