Author Topic: Underwater Cameras  (Read 5536 times)

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater Cameras
« on: Oct 29, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Hey, I am looking to get a new underwater camera, I made a post about ice augers and got some really good suggestions.  Thanks to all who posted their thoughts for me.  I have heard Marcum is the way to go for underwater cameras.  The VS625SD which is the 6" color.  Expensive though 600 bucks for that, and I think the big deal with that one is that it is color.  Any suggestions for other ones?  I do see they also have a black and white version which seems quite similar.  Thanks everyone 

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
Re: Underwater Cameras
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2012, 03:41 PM »
I have the marcum 625 and it is great as long as there is no snow on the ice ( causing blackout conditions under the ice)and shallow (better light)for color viewing. Otherwise it's only black and white. The light is good on the camera, but any sentiment or murky water will cause the light to reflect and your picture is cloudy. It works great with the temp reading and direction. i dont believe vexilar offer that.you just have to watch for these conditions and avoid them. Good luck steve

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2012, 09:45 PM »
I had a Fishtv7 from Aqua vu.. found that the 100 feet of cable was ok but never was able to find my hook easily at the bottom of 85 ft especially if there was any kind of current. The infra-red worked well enough but at that depth with snow on the ice, your camera almost needs to be eating your bait.
It was great in 25-40 FOW. Problem is that the camera took on a leak and burnt out.
I am now looking for a replacement cam and in all the research i have been doing the Vexilar FS-1000 Fish Scout looks to be the better value between dollars spent and features offered.
I am still in a toss up between  that Vexilar FS-1000 Fish Scout and a Marcum VS825SD. I figure if I am spending 600, might as well spend the extra 100 for the bigger screen size and newer technology.

- Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2012, 10:10 PM »
I just bought one of those remote controlled 360 degree rotating models off eBay.  I also bought a 9 in. Screen and an sd card recorder so I can record all my monster catches ;)

Here is one like the one I bought...now I just gotta make a case for it and I'm in business.  Be sure to watch for me in the video section this year!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65ft-Cable-Underwater-Fishing-Color-Camera-Motorized-360-deg-Panning-w-Control-/160910239542?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2576ff6736

Just remember...whichever camera you buy...it only helps if you use it.  I like taking the kids ages 10 and 12 and let the explore the lake bottom and be able to see the bite and fish coming in.  It's better than sega bass fishing on wii for my boy.  Won't leave home without it!

Offline JohnnyD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2012, 01:01 PM »
I run a Marcum VS380. I mainly use it as a shallow water search tool. Its important to remeber that once you have snow cover or begin fishing deep water having colour wont matter since it will be black and white anyway.

I still use a flasher when I start fishing different holes. The camera can see farther than the cone angle of my flasher. This makes it great for scout water in less than 10'
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2012, 07:40 AM »
If your gonna spend the money. Get the top of the line Marcum! If your limited on funds, find your $ range and still get a marcum. They are far the best cams out there. I have an aquaview explorer and wish I bought a marcum. Thinking about getting the top of the line color Marcum. Get the aquaview remote panner when you buy. They are great.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2012, 06:20 PM »
So from what I am hearing from you guys, getting a color is not really worth the extra cash in the end anyways eh?  I see Wholesale Sports has the VS620 which looks similar to the new VS625 just not color and no panner included and the camera is a bit better and screen brighter.  Anyone have the VS620?  I think I may just save the cash and go for the black and white.  Any thoughts?  Thanks everyone for the help

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2012, 05:45 PM »
i have your standard Aqua View camera. I've had it about 10 years now. Works great. I would put your money towards a good sonar unit. And buy just a cheap Aqua Vu. It works great up until 40' then its just to dark, and like buddy said, you need to have the camera really close as it's dark down there.

The one thing I purchased that I would never give up is the remove tripod. This thing can sit outside your tent and move around to see what's going on.

Hope this helps.

Offline slingshotz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2012, 08:11 PM »
I got a Marcum 825vd two years ago and it has been excellent for ease of use and quality of the video.  However, my first two units had some bad electronics and last year my camera sprung a leak.  Saying that, Marcum has been excellent at their warranty service, new replacement units and camera for free shipped to me.  I just wish I didn't have to use their warranty service :(.  After getting a new camera it has been working fine for months.

Get the remote panner, saves a ton of headaches trying to align the camera with the hook.

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2012, 10:04 AM »
Looks like I wont likely get the camera I want this year.... that being said.. if anyone in the calgary area is upgrading theirs and is inclided to sell their old one... drop me a line with make model and what you are looking to get for it.... I will want something  pretty soon.
thanks
- Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Looks like I wont likely get the camera I want this year.... that being said.. if anyone in the calgary area is upgrading theirs and is inclided to sell their old one... drop me a line with make model and what you are looking to get for it.... I will want something  pretty soon.
thanks
- Shackless
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Hey " Shack "
  Hope all has been going well.   I'll keep my ears open, at work and around.  Just curious, ( you probably told me that day we all met up) what was the Camera down the road that you would want or are looking for??   ( Just incase I see deal out there somewhere. )

Later Bro.

@)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2012, 06:37 PM »
  Put together a DIY flasher camera combo today.
  I picked up a backup colour monitor for a vehicle off of e-bay for 20 bucks and put it on my FL8 then ran a video cable from my Aqua-view.
  Bada Boom Bada Bing Combo ;D

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2012, 07:35 PM »
  Put together a DIY flasher camera combo today.
  I picked up a backup colour monitor for a vehicle off of e-bay for 20 bucks and put it on my FL8 then ran a video cable from my Aqua-view.
  Bada Boom Bada Bing Combo ;D
……………………………………………..
 Hey "IcePack" … sounds like it will work fine. Will it still sit on the side ( corner) of your sled. How big is the back up camera screen.

Did you make it out today at all

AltaIce
            @)
  " I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Offline icepack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2012, 07:51 PM »
 The screen is 4 1/2 inches diagonally and about 3/8 of an inch thick and sits on top of the flasher using Velcro pads so I can remove it easily.
I should try a post a pic or two.

I didn't get out today but I will be heading out at 6:00 am tomorrow.

Fish on

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2012, 03:27 AM »
Heyaz AltaIce
My wish would prolly be the MarCum VS 825c. but it's so new that I doubt that there will be many deals out there and very few if any used units.
I have a fishTV 7 with a bad camera in case you hear of soemone who has a bad monitor and is wanting to sell the camera for cheap. The TV7 was decent for a starter unit...
but who doesn't like to upgrade LOL

I am heading out now (2:30 AM) to try my luck for some open water burbs.
Icepack.... good luck today for your journey.

Cheers all
- Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline slingshotz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:32 PM »
I got my on sale at the Boxing Day sale at Fishin Hole, that's probably the only time you can get a decent deal on it.

Offline happyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2012, 03:43 PM »
ok i need help with this...can i just get a cheap camera? what is panning? infa red? i will have a shack on gull and i still dont even know where i will put it? I dont know how deep i should fish in that lake....im guessin brown lows and maybe 15 FOW?

Can i hook it up to my deep cell 12v battery i will have in the shack?

man i just dunno.....really frustrated with this as i am kinda new to ice fishing.....

where is the best place to buy one in calgary? Bass pro? canadian tire? can i spend just a couple hundred or less?

thanks

happy
I promise to tell the trout,
the whole trout,and nothing but the trout,
so help me cod

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2012, 04:07 PM »
I was at Cabela's yesterday and saw a small color underwater camera for around $250.  It was smaller than an I-phone and the picture from it was very clear.  It also had a fin on the sounder to keep it with the current.  With  all the junk I bring out on the ice already something I can put in my pocket would be nice.  I'd go with that if I didn't pick up a Showdown Troller last year.

Offline happyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2012, 04:57 PM »
hows this? its on sale....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Underwater-Cameras|/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104664780/MarCum-VS-380-Underwater-Camera/737171.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-ice-fishing-underwater-cameras%2F_%2FN-1100509%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104664780&WTz_l=DirectLoad%3Bcat104664780

thanks all
I promise to tell the trout,
the whole trout,and nothing but the trout,
so help me cod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.