Author Topic: Lead Jigs?  (Read 721 times)

Offline FROZEN603

• IceShanty Rookie
Lead Jigs?
« on: Dec 25, 2014, 10:16 PM »
I received some jigs for Christmas, but now I have a question.

All of them have the "warning this product contains lead...State of California...etc..etc"

So in 2016 am I not going to be able to use these.  Some of them are Northland Spoons and some are Rapala Jigging Raps.  Does the law mean these types of jigs or buck tail style with the larger lead weight near the eye?

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lead Jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:23 AM »
You can use them until June of 2016, then a new law is going to take affect unless the state changes it. page 33 of the fishing digest explains this. I read it to mean since it doesn't say anything about the axis point of the jig that the jig if under an ounce in weight has to be lead free. I personally think that rule sucks but what are you going to do? I would really like to see the facts about the birds dying from the lead in a jig. I think it is just an "bunny Huger scam" But if the statistics are true then fine. I don't want the birds to die either, I just don't think the cause of them dying is by eating lead weights or jigs.
PB

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2014, 07:53 AM »
Did the jigs say non lead?  Ca has a crazy law that if it even has a trace amount, just about every substance does it has to say it contains lead.  Check before you toss them.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2014, 09:01 AM »
I was wondering that to, I have seen a few "lead free jigs" that say lead free on package, then on back it has the CA this product contains lead etc...... Very confusing for sure. I am hoping jigs with trace amounts are exempt. I think the goal is to keep us from using jigs that are made of lead exclusively.   ?????  ???
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 AM »
I believe (but not sure) the "this product contains lead" warning has to be present even if a completely lead free lure is manufactured in the same facilities as a lead lure. They may have shared a conveyor belt with lead products or something like that so the warning is present. I have zero concerns for my darter and rap type lures... It's only the all metal ones that I'm paying close attention to for lead. When in doubt call the lure maker and ask what its made of... with any luck they'll know... maybe... lol
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Nhfg told me last yr. that only small ( under 1" ) are what the birds/ loons eat . I make my own jigs , all small ones I use tin , steel , or tungsten oh ya sometime glass. Can't hurt the loons ...I love loons...they taste like chicken ..:)     Jig1

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2014, 05:42 PM »
The lead in your jigs might only be in the solder or the paint. I would not consider that a lead jig until I see something from the state saying different.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2014, 07:12 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_65_(1986)#Warning_label

I posted this link because I find this very interesting. Most interesting is the statement WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Read the last sentence in the warning label description it basically says that "There is no penalty for posting an unnecessary warning sign"
Basically its on the Manufacturer to decide when to use this warning, they assume full responsibility of whether there is or is not lead. If there not sure they can use the warning label Just to cover themselves legally in california. That explains why "lead free" jigs have this label.

Just wanted to sahre this with you all. Next year will be very interesting for sure.......
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2014, 08:26 AM »
 the paint on the jigs may contain lead...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.