Author Topic: Depth marker  (Read 7887 times)

Offline wss1

• IceShanty Rookie
Depth marker
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Just wondering what others use to mark the depth on your line.   I use buttons, but am looking for something different.

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Depth marker
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:41 PM »
I use the ties that come with trash bags.The plastic ones are best but the paper ones will work too,they just don't last as long.Cut them about an inch and a half long.When you find where you want to mark your line just twist them around the line about 5 times.When I'm done for the day I twist them just above the swivel to my leader.

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:44 PM »
 Small buttons have always worked, the ones used on shirt collars.
                                        :icefish:

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:19 PM »
As I have posted before;
For many years I used a "slip" loop, but I would have to reset to often. I tried the buttons for a couple seasons and was not happy with them... I think part of the problem is that if I don't get a flag in 30-45 min. I move the tilt. One hole I might be fishing 5 ft. of water the next 40 ft, moving the button back and forth was too time consuming. Split Shot (to small to handle with gloves). I use a bobber stopper when open water fishing, but I think I will have the same problem as buttons. Tried the rubber band and it works, but kept leaving bits of rubber band around. Using bits of wood to stick in a loop often locked it up until I performed surgery to save the line. Couple years ago I tried the small bobber and liked the "clip" part, but not the "float" part... (they would float up and buggered up the line on the spool and they get caught on the side of the hole when fighting fish).
For a few years now I use a "Clip" used for electronics work, they are cheap, don't hang up on the side of the hole and move very easy I think I have a winner;

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I have tried just about everything over the years.  Try getting a loop knot out after fighting a large northern.  Buttons didn't work.  The best thing for me and the only thing I use now are those tiny 1/2" red and white bobbers.

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:03 PM »
I use Bobber Stoppers, you can find them on Ebay

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Anyone who wants them, I either use bobber stops, or I loop a big red bead on the line. Both stay put unless you move them, and nobody really complains. I personally don't like them, they get in the way. They are right at the spot in the line that the fish makes a run, and I hate having to thread a stop through my fingers while fighting a fish. I find it much easier to just carry my vexilar to each hole. Often times if I'm fishing less than 10', I just put it 3' down, and call it good.
-Tom

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Before I had my vexilar, I used to use the red bobber stops like this one pictured.  I would set my depth and then slide the marker to where I could always line it up with something on my rod.  I threw the beads away.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:53 PM »

I use the little rubber bands from a kids bracelet set. I just hitch them on the line and pull them off when I'm done. Y
I keep a bag of them in my overall pocket. Will never use a button bobber or sinker again

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:33 PM »
I tie a loop knot......I guess thats what its called....never had a prob with them.....easy in easy out...

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:15 PM »
I always use these

Easy to set, never interfere, and they are cheap.

WS

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Small ice fishing bobbers.  Work well and easy to manipulate.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I would not describe a round bobber on my line as easy to manipulate. I still don't see why more people just use the vex. Its comes with you to any other hole anyway.
-Tom

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:21 PM »
I would not describe a round bobber on my line as easy to manipulate. I still don't see why more people just use the vex. Its comes with you to any other hole anyway.
A flag goes up, I try to bring the bait bucket, I am not going to take the time to also carry my sounder. That is great if that works for you, but not everyone has their sounder stapled to them...

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:33 AM »
i bought a big bag full of bright orange foam beads (for steelhead fishing or something), and a box of round toothpicks

cut the toothpickes so they stick about 1/8 inch out of each end of the bead, and you're set to go.

basically a tiny pegged bobber. i never have to take it off the line, it doesn't move unless i take the toothpick out, it floats so i don't have to slide it up and down when i'm setting the line, and i can easily see it down the hole so i can immediately tell if i actually had a bite or if it was just a wind flag.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Can't beat small two hole buttons.   

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:45 AM »
It is great that there are so many ways to mark a line and that many of us are able to find the one that is right for us... One angler is happy with buttons, but for me they are a exercise in frustration. Another angler does not want to use any marker, resetting the depth each time a flag is popped, but I find that to time consuming and without being able to see if any line was taken, also frustrating... To each his own and good luck!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:08 PM »
I will say it would be different fishing for walleye, especially in the dark. A marker does no good for pike for telling how much line is taken, its 30+ yards off somewhere.
-Tom

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2014, 01:25 PM »
You are right it does not help if the fish goes far, but at least you can tell that it has gone...

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:34 PM »
buttons.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:12 PM »
I used a loop knot for years, but as mentioned sometimes they are hard to get out. The bobber stoppers look like a good option.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:27 PM »
I used to use a slip loop with a match stick in it, then graduated to buttons.  The only drawback is if there is a knot in the line.  Then the button wont slide past it, in which case ill use a matchstick/toothpick or one of those really small red and white bobbers that dont really float.  I have some friends that use splitshot, but they are always dropping them in the snow, if they arent chipping their teeth trying to close them.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:36 AM »
i use green line and marker with black marker every 10 ft

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:48 AM »
 I use the bobber stops (Knot only), no bead. when I set my traps, I use a vexi, set the knot just below the reel, and never use the vexi again unless changing locations. also when retrieving, the knot gives you a heads up when you are near, and many times , I have found this is where you need to be on guard.  @ weeks ago, got a real nice fish, felt like a tire, no fight, just weight, until the knot came up , then all hell broke loose. I got him out of the hole , when the floro leader snapped, then my hell broke loose. Went home, re-tied new leaders, all steel.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I will say it would be different fishing for walleye, especially in the dark. A marker does no good for pike for telling how much line is taken, its 30+ yards off somewhere.

You have to be a kid, right?  I read your posts and shake my head.  The marker is on the line to quickly reset after a fish.  Jesus.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2014, 10:53 PM »
You have to be a kid, right?  I read your posts and shake my head.  The marker is on the line to quickly reset after a fish.  Jesus.

Nope, full grown man who has been fishing his whole life. Well a young man, but a man by all definitions. From what I gather looking at this thread, it is simply different strokes for different folks. Some like a big, fool-proof button, some like a discrete bobber stop or bead, and some don't like anything interfering with fighting fish. How I use my traps, I am much faster than anyone I have fished with, marker or not. I bet you don't have a marker on your jig pole for depth, its no different for me and my tip ups.
-Tom

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2014, 06:01 PM »
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline smokey1508

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:42 PM »
i use the small round weighted foam bobbers remove the foam and superglue or epoxy whe top clip and easy removal with gloves and easy to see if the line has moved it ya cant see it spooling off

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:57 AM »
I've always used buttons with no problems. My brother uses small bobbers.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline bz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:29 PM »
I use a small sinker to mark the depth I want and than reel it in to the guide. I use the sinkers you can take on and off. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.