Author Topic: How many tip ups do you carry?  (Read 13948 times)

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
How many tip ups do you carry?
« on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Here in NY we are allowed 5 tip ups, I usually carry 8 or 9, mix and match, I have an HT set up for Pike that I usually set up a ways from my others, the rest is a mix of 8lbs and 10lbs leaders with live bait or worms.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How many tip ups do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:00 PM »
We're only allowed 3 lines in MI, including tip ups. I carry the 8 have though. 4 set up for pike, 2 for walleye, and 2 for perch/splake. Easy to interchange if needed though because I just have to swap the leaders.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I used to carry 6. Now I jig, carry zero tipups, and catch 10x as many fish.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:03 PM »
None but I carry 8 jigging rods ;D
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:05 PM »
That really depends for me. I fish only a handfull of lakes. The small lake i fish close to home i bring the 5 im aloud to have. Im also from new york. There i just have leaders on swilves ready to be changed out if i need to. Most of the other lakes i fish i will bring a few extra just in case.  If i fish lake champlain I usually bring about 20 tip ups. My 15 and 5 for a buddy who doesnt have 15. Gotta love those mornings. Fingers freezing off while i set 30 tipups. My fishing buddy is setting his own stuff this year.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:08 PM »
20 traps here, can use 15 on Champlain and I change those between pike and salmon set-ups depending on what I am fishing for. The extra 5 are just spares that are usually rigged for perch if I'm bringing younger relatives or if I just want to fill a couple pails of the tasty little guys.  :tipup:
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline RowdyRay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:11 PM »
None but I carry 8 jigging rods ;D

Hehe. I usually carry more jigging rods than I need too. Assortment of 2# and 4#. Snap one off, grab another. These old hands don't tie line in the cold so well any more.

Two tip-ups. We can only have 2 lines here. Jig in one hole and set a tip-up in another. Same theory. Break one off or tangle it up, grab the other. Why ruin the day?

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Depends if the wife goes with. In Wi we are allowed 3 lines. so normally 4 tip ups and 7 Jigging rods.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:15 PM »
We were allowed to use 3 (salmon lake) but last year they changed it to 2. So I have 3 but only use the 2 and the third usually use as a back up.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:39 PM »
i carry 6 only allowed to use 3 in michigan

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:43 PM »
vermont we can have 8 on any lake and 15 on champlain. i have 16 with heavy pike leaders for champlain and 16 with trout leaders. this way if one of my kids or the wife wants to go i have set-ups for atleast 2

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I have around 13(5 new frabill round ones and like 8 HTs) Only allowed 5 lines in NJ. Will bring them all if i take my son or anyone else who doesnt have tip-ups

Offline yog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:12 AM »
i'm from mi. but carry 12, can never have to many tip-ups :tipup:

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:42 AM »
20 traps here, can use 15 on Champlain and I change those between pike and salmon set-ups depending on what I am fishing for. The extra 5 are just spares that are usually rigged for perch if I'm bringing younger relatives or if I just want to fill a couple pails of the tasty little guys.  :tipup:
Your allowed 15 tip ups?   Wow.   How many fish are u allowed to keep?   Sounds more like work then not!  LoL

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:12 AM »
Your allowed 15 tip ups?   Wow.   How many fish are u allowed to keep?   Sounds more like work then not!  LoL

I suually run 14 and jig with one. There's no limit on perch, 5 northerns, 3 walleyes, 3 lakers, 2 salmon... The going gets tough when the ice is over a foot and you've only got a hand auger. If you want a work out, run 15 traps for perch, its a good way to fill a few pails ;D

Other VT waters its 8 lines per person and a couple lakes its only 4. I use the big spreads to help search the water for productive areas and sometimes I'll move the whole spread. How do you guys fish with only one or two traps? I guess it'd be more mobile/quicker to move around but how do you cover any space???
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:23 AM »
I bet it would keep ya busy!  Just drilling the holes would be some work especially when there's alot of ice..even with a power auger.       Allthough Its good exercise I bet!   I can only run 3 lines here in michigan and at times ill have both flags up at prime time....couldn't imagine 15 flags up!   Sounds like a good dream...lol

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:24 AM »
I have lots of tip ups and I change the lineup depending on the lake and species of fish I am after.
Some are set up for extremely clear water and fishing for trout, others are for walleyes, panfish or pike.
This keeps retying and changing stuff to a minimum while I am out on the lake.

While on the lake, I usually have 2 tip ups that will be set up, and one spare just in case.
I am allowed 3 lines in Wisconsin, so I usually jig one rod while I have 2 tip ups set out.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:25 AM »
i carry 7 so i have 2 spares.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:32 AM »
In PA we are allowed 5 lines in the water, combination of jigging and tip ups. I carry 5 tip downs, and 15 tip ups, each set up for a different species. If I am after pike I have five set up, If going for bass another etc. If I am meeting Friends or have family coming I may carry more. It depends, better to be prepared and have them in the vehicle then wish you brought them. Tightlines...
Ron

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:03 PM »
i bring 20 out with me i go with 2 other people and have some incase someone comes out unexpectedly and have some spares just in case one or 2 break or if a fish takes one down the hole (it happens once in a while with the ones i have.)

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Fellow Michigan fisherman remember you have to have your name on every tip up. Last year at tip up town I got "popped" for this. Had 3 kids and wife with me so I sat  10 tip ups and we had  1 jig pole each. Swamp detective checked us and I never thought about all my tip ups had MY name on them. My youngest son has same name as me so they got me for 6 lines too many in water. Ended up costing me $200 when all was said and done. Pretty sleazy of em.   Steve

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Around 100 with a group of 6 or more. Don't often run more than 85, at 20 paces between traps it's hard to see much further.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Here in PA we could only have 5 lines in the water at one time but i carry 8 tip ups and 2 jig rods.

Offline NickN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:45 PM »
Here in NJ we are allowed to have 5 lines per person.  I usually carry 10 with me.  5 extra for malfunctions and if someone unexpectedly joins me.

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2010, 07:05 PM »
In Vt on Champlain we are allowed 15 but i find 10 plenty to keep up with.  What i do is set them out and when a flag goes up I will use the jig rod in that hole until the fish move or another flag goes up.    I love to fish that way it is very productive and i catch a few northrens while perch fishing

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:21 PM »
In Vt on Champlain we are allowed 15 but i find 10 plenty to keep up with.  What i do is set them out and when a flag goes up I will use the jig rod in that hole until the fish move or another flag goes up.    I love to fish that way it is very productive and i catch a few northrens while perch fishing

Thats funny Webster I carry a jig stick too, but I pull the perch to keep them off my pike bait.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2010, 11:01 PM »
In Minnesota, we're allowed to use 2 lines, I usually use one tip, one jigging rod, but rarely fish without a buddy anymore. So I carry about 4-5 tip-ups with different assortments of jigs, leaders, and depth sets.

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:36 AM »
For a "regular" day of fishing I usually carry 6.  We are allowed 5 at once so I have one for back-up.  When I'm out for an "overnighter" I take out even more for more "back-up".  Re-rigging a tip-up in the middle of the night is no fun.  Just as easy to trade it out and deal with it in the morning.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:43 AM »
Typically we are only allowed 2 in Wyoming.  I normally set a tip uip and then stay mobile w/my jigging rod. On a select # of reservoirs we are allowed 6 at which time (for trout) i use 6 tip ups. This year will be my first going for Walleye, and we are allowed 6 there so i will prob set 5 tips and search with my jig rod/flasher.  Cheers.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Usually 4 just in case one fails.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.