Author Topic: Winona Lake, whos famailar with it?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline the1jayson

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Holy Crap-E Netman
Winona Lake, whos famailar with it?
« on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:45 AM »
Hey guys this weather really blows. But I was wondering if all the ice is gone from winona lake. I'm thinking about going to check it out in the boat this weekend. I'm in South Bend, and I was looking forward to fishing it thru the ice. looks like that won't be happening anytime soon, so........
If anyone could give me some kind of direction on where to start my hunt for the eyes it would be appreciated. ;)

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
Re: Winona Lake, whos famailar with it?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:05 PM »
fire 831 is your man...he fishes it quite a bit!!!!!! now whether or not he catches anything.......... :D

Offline fire831

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2006, 05:22 PM »
Thanks Rico. ;D ;D the1jayson, I've mainly fished it in the summer and as rico says have I caught much. Well as far as eyes go I have one under my belt but bluegill I've done just as good or better than most other lakes I've been to. When I fish it in the summer trolling for eyes with a worm I fished off the fairgrounds boat ramp. Alot of guys talk about some humps towards the opposite end from the ramp thats good for eyes but I have not been able to look for them or try it because that would be a suicide mission in my small boat with all the jet fleas and skiers. A good person to talk to or site to check out would be  www.indianawalleye.com  Eyehunter the administrator of the site is very knowledgeable of Winona along with some of the other members. Hope this helps and good luck.

Offline the1jayson

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Holy Crap-E Netman
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Thanks Fire! But the wife just gave me permission to road trip this weekend, so hopefully theres still a group heading north......

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:07 PM »
we are heading there thursday.  we fished the large hump at the south end sunday and didn't mark many fish.  all the fish we have marked have been at the north end.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:17 PM »
I know you don't want to be the 10th or 15th boat out in a tournament down that little channel. You will suck up all the leaves and trash in your water intakes and over heat. That has happened twice to me, i end up leaning over the motor with a tooth pick picking all that stuff out. I do know the lake gives up some nice bass and walleye.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2006, 08:30 PM »
good point jigginstick and that brings up another point.  the lake is down 2-3 feet.  We are launching at the fairgrounds ramp.  after launching we have to use the trolling motor to get to deeper water as it is only about a foot deep around the "hole" at the base of the ramp.  I have no idea what the public ramp and channel is like.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.