Author Topic: 2013 West Loughborough Watch  (Read 14678 times)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2013 West Loughborough Watch
« Reply #60 on: Jan 08, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Well I went out for a couple hrs tonight from 8-10pm didn't get anything but actually mark quite a few fish, couldn't really tell what they were but had a couple chasers so I assume they were lakers.  I only went out a couple hundred feet from the launch to 37fow.  The ice was actually in decent shape, almost all of the snow cover was gone, still 5 inches of ice at that depth 3.5 black 1.5 white.  Ice was a lot tighter than it was on Sunday, however proceed with caution, it was -12 all day Monday and Tues it got to plus 2 but it was -3 when I was out there at night, if we get the rain predicted over the next couple of days things can change quick.
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:08 AM »
thanks for the report JZ
Tight lines

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:24 PM »
What will this weekend weather do to the ice we have on the lake now? Was hoping to get out there Sunday or Monday but the weather is telling me otherwise!
Andrew

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:21 PM »
its going to be wet out there on the weekend especially if we get the rain on friday, looks like a skating rink out there today so bring your spikes with you. Tip-uptwo if you are from Ottawa I probably wouldnt make a 2hr drive to fish it this weekend but all of next week is going to be below zero so any damage done by the rain will soon be corrected.
@jzuliniak

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:41 PM »
I actually might be out there tomorrow morning from around 8-12. I will spud my way out and auguer some holes at different depths straight out from the launch and i will give an ice report when i get home after lunch.
ECB

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 10, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Thanks fellas. We drive a near two hours to fish just about every weekend so the trip is no problem. I'm all over the map lol. Will certainly wait for the ice to tighten up around the laker grounds. Great thread. Good luck, be safe out there.
Andrew

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Thanks fellas. We drive a near two hours to fish just about every weekend so the trip is no problem. I'm all over the map lol. Will certainly wait for the ice to tighten up around the laker grounds. Great thread. Good luck, be safe out there.
You ever try silver lake?  It's a little closer to you, year round lakers open and should have better ice than loborough right now
Tight lines

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 11, 2013, 01:44 PM »
DL I've checked the regs 100 times and I'm still confused...Can you keep the lakers you catch on silver lake? Or just catch and release?

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Got Skates?
@jzuliniak

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:49 PM »
I know what you mean about"GOT SKATES" lol i was out there today for 4 hours and marked about 5-6 but no takers once again. It is very slippy out there so put some cleats on. I almost ended up on my A$$ a few time trying to auger out holes. also just to let anyone know who hasn't tried yet.... on the left side of the launch where it was the last to freeze over, about 150 meters out just on the east side of  that little strip of rough ice that runs from north to south it is about 2 1/2" black ice and some slick just like glass . I wanted to go fish in the deep deep stuff so bad but i didnt wanna risk it. it was 54fow where i was. Hopefully by next weekend we can fish 90+fow.
ECB

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Lol ...Eastcoastboy, wife had an eye on you today. Thought you were nuts. I'm not supposed to associate with you. She thinks you are a bad influence. Therefore I'm not aloud to go out there and play this weekend.. And not sure I would want to. Be safe out there guys.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 PM »
DL, I have buds that fish Silver in the winter but not for lake trout. The baitfish populations in the lake have shrunk dramatically in the last 10 years from what they have told me. It's a tough trout fish. Kind of similar to what happened to Lough in past years. Loughborough is a fun fish. Super spooky in that lake.
Andrew

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:22 PM »
bigbass,
       So if we see each other out you cant fish beside me? lmao. tell your mrs i was being safe and spuddin  every step when i was getting to the thinner ice so she has no reason to forbid our time that we may sit together on the hardwater. Just tell her i'm sorry for making her nervous lol. I probably wont be out there again till next Saturday due to my last minute work schedule for the next couple weeks. take er easy bigbass and hopefully she revokes her previous statement lol  because i will be out there a lot once feb hits and my work isn't full throttle.
ECB

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #73 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:56 PM »
DL I've checked the regs 100 times and I'm still confused...Can you keep the lakers you catch on silver lake? Or just catch and release?

From what I see in the Regs is that Lake Trout in Silver Lake Area 18 is open from May 8th to Sept 8th so Lakers would be closed for the winter. [Catch and Release]....Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout and Splake are open to fishing all year.
 There is a clause under additional Lake trout open all year with these cordinates Silver Lake (44°51'N., 76°36'W.)
- South Sherbrooke and Oso Twps so I think your best bet to be on the safe side is to phone the MNR to be sure your fishing in the right spot and can keep Lakers....Fishing Regulations can be really confusing at times.
 Usually when a Regulation says Open All Year there aren't a lot of that Species in the Lake or the MNR wants them out of there.
 That is the way it is here in the Kawartha Lakes with Pike....they are an invasive species in Muskie Territory and are open to fishing all year.
 I fished Pigeon and Chemong Lake all Summer and Fall and never caught one so I would say they haven't taken hold yet.

Bob

FISH SAFE FOR YOUR FAMILIES.
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:24 AM »
if you guys are talking the silver lake east of sharbot lake off of hwy 7...   i punched in the gps info Silver Lake (44°51'N., 76°36'W.) on my garman and it took me right there  )and i looked it up on google earth and frontenac interactive mapping (which is just cool) and the gps and the townships match up so i say they are keepin lakers from silver lake
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #75 on: Jan 12, 2013, 10:50 AM »
if you guys are talking the silver lake east of sharbot lake off of hwy 7...   i punched in the gps info Silver Lake (44°51'N., 76°36'W.) on my garman and it took me right there  )and i looked it up on google earth and frontenac interactive mapping (which is just cool) and the gps and the townships match up so i say they are keepin lakers from silver lake

Yes kamaro that is the Lake....Thanks for the confirmation information....I have to get myself one of those GPS.

Bob

FISH SAFE FOR YOUR FAMILIES.....ESPECIALL Y RIGHT NOW WITH THIS WEATHER.
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 12, 2013, 04:06 PM »

Ya that's the lake I be talkin bout, the regs tell me there open all year so I was just wonderin.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Hey this should go without saying but iam going to say it anyway, W Loughborough is not safe, there is still ice cover but its very ugly, I wouldn't even go out to spud some hole it was that bad.  Luckily we have a bunch of cold nights ahead and days where it's not getting above zero so it should firm up quick and when it does it will be nice clear ice.  I would give it to at least Wednesday before heading out there, I will pop out on Thursday and do some test holes and provide an update.  The last couple of weeks was just a bonus guys, the real laker season will start in the next week to 10 days, as it usually does, when the whole lake is ice covered, then we will have another 5-6weeks of Laker fun.  Make sure you are around to enjoy it, don't do anything stupid.

@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 13, 2013, 01:41 PM »
DL, I have buds that fish Silver in the winter but not for lake trout.
What else is fish-able in the winter there?

@Dill - yeah, I'm talking about this one:
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=44.831526,+-76.598997&num=1&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=44.830735,-76.599169&spn=0.029887,0.0842&t=m&z=14&iwloc=A
It's mentioned here:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/mnr_e001337.pdf

As one of many lakes that are open year-round for lakers, so the the usual laker limits apply in the winter (sport license = 2 trout).  I believe they open it year-round b/c they are stocked lakes.  I love laker fishing through the ice, so I was looking for another option other than Loborough, which sees a lot of pressure in the winter. 

@JZ - WOW, that ice looks like crap!  Thanks for all the up-to-date info.  Hopefully we get a good freeze this week.
Tight lines

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Thanks for the report JZ! Hopefully it'll be good to go by the weekend.

-Andrew

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 14, 2013, 02:40 PM »
Well it was a little cooler today with it being below zero with the windchill so the area that everyone has been out on looks like it is in better shape (Pic 1), but still not safe in my books.  Pic 2 is about 500ft east of where everyone has been fishing, wide open water.  I would say about 60% of the lake is open right now but fear not because -8 overnight tonight with 5k wind should lock that back up.  Plus anywhere where there is open water now was never safe to begin with so its not much of a set back and may actually prevent people from doing something stupid.  I will post another update tomorrow.

@jzuliniak

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Thanks for the Pics JZ, i haven't made it out at all yet. and hope to this sat.

i rebuilt the Clam today. put on the new cover and wired it up with led lights and stuff. The wife thinks im crazy for sitting in it, and adjusting things to get it just the way i want it... I guess sitting in the basment dreaming will have to do for now..  >:(

EastCoastboy - i send you a PM
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Nothing too exciting to report today, still lots of open water, didnt get as cold last night as forecasted but the area that is frozen is starting to look more and more solid.  Tomorrow or Thurs I will be able to go spud some holes.  My guess would be that this weekend we will still be limited to the 40-50fow range, but should know more in a day or two. Spikes will be a must out there, it looks like a skating rink.
@jzuliniak

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for all the info, we're hoping to get out this weekend! 

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Thanks for all the info, we're hoping to get out this weekend!

Maybe see you out there! Was hoping to hit BOQ but not sure if the ice will be good enough!

Offline charles0203

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Might give it a try this weekend. How far do we need to walk toward the center of the bay in order to get the 50FOW? Thanks for the info.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Might give it a try this weekend. How far do we need to walk toward the center of the bay in order to get the 50FOW? Thanks for the info.
Not far at all, I have the exact amount on my gps but an estimate would be 100-150m
@jzuliniak

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Maybe see you out there! Was hoping to hit BOQ but not sure if the ice will be good enough!

Cool, I'll let you know if I'm going.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:19 PM »
Took a drive by today and there was still quite a bit of open water close by but again the frozen area was looking better and there were a couple guys on the ice.  They were very close to shore, probably only 100ft out on the first break that goes down to 35fow.  Didnt have time to get out there myself to measure ice thickness but hopefully one of the guys out there is a board member and posts what he finds.  If not I will go out tomorrow and measure.
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:42 PM »
As always, thanks for the report JZ!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.