New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: DISEASED FISH  (Read 1651 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
DISEASED FISH
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:55 PM »
I just had a DEC biologist pick a diseased lake trout from Canadice lake.  The fish will be going to Cornell University for testing.  Hopefully it does not turn out to be VHS disease. 

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DISEASED FISH
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 02:09 PM »
 :-[ any pics of it? hopefully it's not VHS  :(

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2008, 04:58 PM »
What it look like?

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:18 AM »
The fish had many problems.   It has large open sores, a tumor and red spots on its belly.  One of the sores was all the way through the meat.  There was a thin layer of skin and you could see it's organs through the skin.  The biologist said some of the small sores look like a bacterial infection but was not sure what the other sores were.  It is off to Cornell University for testing.  The biologist will contact my boss or me when they get the results.  I do have a picture but have not had time to upload it.  If I get a chance, I will so you can see the condition of this fish. 

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2008, 10:30 AM »
Lets keep our fingers crossed it is nothing serious.  Canadice is a great fishery.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline goinhungry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:25 AM »
But do they have lampreys in that lake? I've never fished it, but some of what you're describing is what we see when a lamprey (or 2 or 3) latch on to fish in Seneca or Ontario and suck it to near death over a few weeks...

JJ

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Thanks Gambell keep us updated, could be a couple things. My guess is furunculosis.

Offline SPINNERBITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:14 PM »
Check out this ......
http://www.lakeontariounited.com..........look under Finger Lakes discussion...
then under "VHS on Owasco"....it has some pictures of what some people are
catching....thinking it might be VHS which it wasnt...only the tests results from
Cornell so far would be proof if your fish had it or not.
If I could figure out how the H*LL to post a link from that site to this one
I would have......if anyone has simple instructions to do so...pass'em along

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:23 PM »
That disease they were showing there is called red sore disease.  It is very common in lake trout.  It is a bacterial infection.  The DEC biologist I talked with said the fish I gave him did not have that disease. 

Offline SPINNERBITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:26 PM »
That disease they were showing there is called red sore disease.  It is very common in lake trout.  It is a bacterial infection.  The DEC biologist I talked with said the fish I gave him did not have that disease. 
Was it anything like the pictures from Owasco? This stuff started showing up this past Fall.
What more do you know about this "red sore disease"....what causes it?
One more ......what did the biologist say about your fish?

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2008, 02:58 AM »
He had no idea what the large sores were on the fish.  The fish is being sent to Cornell University and I will hear something back but it may take up to 4 months.  He said they are very busy checking fish for disease lately. 

As for the red sore disease, he said it is a bacterial infection that hits lakers when they have been stressed. 

Offline SPINNERBITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:18 AM »
He had no idea what the large sores were on the fish.  The fish is being sent to Cornell University and I will hear something back but it may take up to 4 months.  He said they are very busy checking fish for disease lately. 

As for the red sore disease, he said it is a bacterial infection that hits lakers when they have been stressed. 

Stress ?....as in how? Stress in forced to inhabit waters out of their realm (temp. wise)?.........water quality?
I'd like to find out more, what is considered "stress".
The two stress factors I mentioned above is presently whats happening in Owasco......Let me know you too Captjj
what do you know about it.........Thanks

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:20 AM »
Stress ?....as in how? Stress in forced to inhabit waters out of their realm (temp. wise)?.........water quality?
I'd like to find out more, what is considered "stress".
The two stress factors I mentioned above is presently whats happening in Owasco......Let me know you too Captjj
what do you know about it.........Thanks

The way I understand it is being out of water temp. or from spawning.  The fish I sent in also had a large tumor on it's one side.  He said stuff like that will also cause stress. 

Offline SPINNERBITE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:51 AM »
The way I understand it is being out of water temp. or from spawning.  The fish I sent in also had a large tumor on it's one side.  He said stuff like that will also cause stress. 

Interesting.....these fish where showing up at the end of the Summer into early Fall........
I guess I'm sticking with being forced to inhabit waters out of their temp. range vs. spawing(for now)
cause they do their majority of their spawning in late Oct. into Nov.
So now WATER quality could play a role in forcing the fish to inhabit water thats not associated with these fish......right?
We've caught these fish 25' down in the middle of Summer on sliders.....thats wacked!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.