Author Topic: Lake Newell  (Read 3482 times)

Offline albertapikehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Newell
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:04 PM »
Anyone catching pike on the South end of Newell?  Depth?  Any tips? Planning a family trip and would appreciate some direction.

Offline mitsub96

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Newell
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Hey there,

I haven't been to the south end this year yet but i have been to the north end for the last few weekends and have had varying luck. 

I usually fish pike in 6-20ft, and have been having decent luck on jigs, not much smelt on tipup action.  Not very aggressive feeders right now.  My biggest so far has been 8lbs but my brother caught a 19.7lb 2 weeks ago on a tipup.

Biggest I have heard of being caught on the ice this year has been 24lb and that was in Jackfish Bay

Lots of fisherman, especially in Redelback Bay

Offline mitsub96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:54 PM »
Do you ever fish Kitsum or Rolling Hills Res?  They are within 10min from the south end of newell and we had awesome pike action all year last year at both places.  Way more action than Newell.... but Newell has the monsters.

Offline BLD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:26 AM »
Kitsim is a producing a lot of 5-6 lbs Pike, yesterday I caught and released about a dozen 6lbs, and kept a 16lbs one. They were hitting hard on smelts in about 6ft of water,this was in a span of about 3 hrs.(10:00 - 1:00).
The resent warm spell has produced a lot of water on top of the ice so be careful out there.

Offline albertapikehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for the tips. Where's the best access to kitsim?  Sounds like it might be a good alternative if the ice is still safe.

Offline BLD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:10 AM »
The best access is hwy 35 to hwy 539 to the west canal road, the east canal road will get you in, but its really mucky right now.  The raod west of the canal will take you to the dam, from there you can either park your truck or drive onto the ice. The ice was still about 15" just a lot of water due to the melt.

Offline BLD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Sorry not hwy 35 but hwy 36, bad typing on my part.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.