Author Topic: Need new pair of gloves  (Read 2909 times)

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Need new pair of gloves
« on: Dec 11, 2005, 05:44 PM »
I need a new pair of gloves, the ones I have has a hole in one finger, so that finger gets really cold and goes numb rather quickly.  What are some good gloves out there that will keep my hands warm.  I am looking for something that slides on and off easily for removing hook from fish, and something that allows me to still feel what I am doing.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Need new pair of gloves
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2005, 05:47 PM »
Brown Jersey gloves,its all I wear.So when ya wantin to come to Summit?

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2005, 06:57 PM »
I will come anyday this week.  You gonna show me how it is done down there?

I don't know how you do it with just those gloves, my hands always get so cold and wet.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Go to A Army Navy store and pick up two pairs of wool glove liners. Double them up.....They have always done me right!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:19 PM »
If your hands are getting cold, get a bigger heater!!! Paul

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:25 PM »
No heater for me, no shelter either.  I generally hole hop and move alot, very mobile.  I think a shelter or sled would slow me down.  All I need is my auger, bucket, pole, ice skimmer, and my Vex.

Offline Fisherben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2005, 12:48 AM »
Deerskin gloves work great for me. Thick enough to keep the wind out and it takes a lot to get them soaked through. I never take the glove off of my left hand thats the one I hold fish in when unhooking and after 10 hours 100+ fish on saturday that glove hadn't soaked through.

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:28 AM »
I guess Ice Armor has new gloves out this year designed for Ice fisherman alone.  I haven't seen them out yet, but I am sure you could order a pair form iceteam.com.
Carp

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2005, 04:05 PM »
Go to A Army Navy store and pick up two pairs of wool glove liners. Double them up.....They have always done me right!

Thanks Jigmup, I went this morning before going fishing to the local GI Joe army store and bought a pair of the fingerless wool gloves and a pair with fingers.  They kept my hands warm today.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2005, 04:08 PM »
I guess Ice Armor has new gloves out this year designed for Ice fisherman alone.  I haven't seen them out yet, but I am sure you could order a pair form iceteam.com.
Don't do it.  Check the Ice Armor threads in General Chit-Chat.  I'm taking mine back.  They are only marginally water resistant, if that.  They basically suck.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2005, 05:12 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Auger I was thinking about ordering some. Guess not now. I personally use nitrile or latex gloves. You can tye knots, bait jigs and give colon exams while on the ice. My hands usually sweat inside the gloves. I guess because it traps my body heat. And if a fin or a jig breaks them I have a few more in my pocket. You can get a hundred for like $10.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:31 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Auger I was thinking about ordering some. Guess not now. I personally use nitrile or latex gloves. You can tye knots, bait jigs and give colon exams while on the ice. My hands usually sweat inside the gloves. I guess because it traps my body heat. And if a fin or a jig breaks them I have a few more in my pocket. You can get a hundred for like $10.
I use those to clean fish, there great. Paul

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:58 PM »
Glad I could help Crappie66. Wool=WARM....even when its wet. Good enough for our troops, Good enough for me. Pretty inexpensive too I might add.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:11 PM »
I wear mittens and put hand warmers in them. I bought the deerskin ones from GM about $10.00 and bought a box of 40 pairs of hand warmers from costco $17.00 Cheapest way I could figure to guarantee that my hands would stay warm. I keep a golf towel clipped on my coveralls and make sure my hands aren't too wet going back into the mittens. I don't use gloves anymore for ice fishing it cuts circulation and my hands get cold. I also take a couple of regular aspirin every few hours to keep the blood a little thin this helps on the really cold days I hope this helps...it's coming from a guy who is always cold but loves to ice fish
jlc
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:14 PM »
This may sound silly but you know what helps you keep warm in the cold? A good breakfast or meal before you go out. I used to be in the Air Guard working out on the flight line, and believe me the wind swept tarmack gets cold in the winter. I also noticed if I skipped breakfast that day I would be more likely to get cold.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:24 PM »
You might be onto something.  I hardly ever eat breakfast, maybe once a month, I usually wake up to late for breakfast.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 05:37 AM »
i agree, eating a good meal will help. the body burns more calories when trying to keep warm.  :tipup:

Offline ]-[0||0W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:17 PM »
i dont wear gloves as i fish.... i dont know what it is but usually when my hands get cold i sense cold for a little bit but i usually forget about them.  i only where gloves when im moving, settin up my shanty, or drilling.  when i fish tho, gloveless.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.