Author Topic: Papakeechie Lake  (Read 7038 times)

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
Papakeechie Lake
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:05 AM »
I haven't fished Papakeechie much I really only fished for gills the few times I've been out. I was wondering if there are walleyes or other bigger fish out there?

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Papakeechie Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:14 AM »
There's no walleye in there that I know of but the gills/crappie in there are nice. Just make sure you have a landowner with you while you're fishing. The association really likes to run people off.

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:25 AM »
I was told by my buddy at DNR if you don't trespass on private land they can't kick you off since there is creek from Wawasee that feeds it water.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:32 AM »
I know it may sound crazy but what I've been told is that the association owns a foot around the whole lake and that's how they keep it private.

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:34 AM »
I know it may sound crazy but what I've been told is that the association owns a foot around the whole lake and that's how they keep it private.

So jump onto the ice over the 12" they own?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:37 AM »
So jump onto the ice over the 12" they own?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I love it, one of the best responses of all time!   ;D

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:37 AM »
I'll call my DNR buddy and find out.

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Better yet, take the dnrs advice see who wins! ;D

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Jigmup ducks behind desk

I hope this doesn't get ugly!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:22 AM »
landowners don't own the creek, but they may own the land all around it.  So if you have waders on and wade the creek from wawasee and can then find solid ice to step onto before you are chest deep in the water, I don't think they can legally stop you.  The gills would all have to 10"+ for that kind a trouble though.

Big trout in there too!

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:28 AM »
My friend is calling Indy just to make sure. He said it is state water though. Man would I love to catch a big trout out of there.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:33 AM »
My friend is calling Indy just to make sure. He said it is state water though. Man would I love to catch a big trout out of there.

Joe,

That is a long running joke on here about papakeechie lake...there are no trout in there.

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:40 AM »
LOL ok thanks

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:00 PM »
How about walleyes?

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:54 PM »
If yo want walleye go to a lake that stocks them

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Joe2727,
you make sure to post the what you find out about the legalities of fishing there. I've wanted to get on there for quite some time! ;)
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Joe2727

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:08 PM »
I sure will

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Maybe we I could move my get-together down there . They would have fun trying to run all of us off . Lol

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I was told by my buddy at DNR if you don't trespass on private land they can't kick you off since there is creek from Wawasee that feeds it water.

A creek would give access.  However, the question of navigable and non-navigable comes into play. 

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:06 PM »
Here is a link that gives a roster of navigable and unnavigable waterways in Indiana, and explains the laws regarding access and trespassing.  Found this after getting into a pretty heated discussion with an older gentleman below Mississinewa Dam who claimed that the landowners on either bank downstream from the dam could keep people from wading in the river because their property runs to the middle of the stream and waders were therefore on private property.

http://www.in.gov/nrc/2393.htm

Offline Crappie slayer 36

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:23 PM »
They only own the land. Ice is water so as long as they don't catch someone dropping a weight for a tip up you should be good. I know of a lake I would love to rattle a few chains on lol!! If these creeks get frozen I can see some good times happenin' round here!!!!

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:34 AM »
They only own the land. Ice is water so as long as they don't catch someone dropping a weight for a tip up you should be good. I know of a lake I would love to rattle a few chains on lol!! If these creeks get frozen I can see some good times happenin' round here!!!!

That is where that navigable vs. non-navigable thing comes into play.  I really don't know how it would work talking ice.  I know in my area here there is a lake that was a hot bed of discussion years ago.  It has an inlet from a county ditch and an outlet(a creek) that feeds into another lake that has public access.  You cannot access the private lake via either the ditch or creek in a watercraft because they are deemed by the state to be non-navigable.  However I don't know how it works if you were to get there by walking on water, so to speak. 

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:02 AM »
The way I've understood it you're ok on Non-Navigable so long as you don't touch the bank or or bottom.  I wade Fall Creek around Pendleton a lot during the summer, which isn't on the roster, so technically I'm trespassing, but if I was in a kayak and didn't touch anything I'd be fine.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:14 AM »
The way I've understood it you're ok on Non-Navigable so long as you don't touch the bank or or bottom.  I wade Fall Creek around Pendleton a lot during the summer, which isn't on the roster, so technically I'm trespassing, but if I was in a kayak and didn't touch anything I'd be fine.

That is not what the CO told me.  Non-navigable means just that.  It cannot be navigated.  Doesn't matter if you are not touching the bottom or the bank.  It is trespassing the way it was explained to me.  Navigable, means you have the right to the water in any means.

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I had a CO explain it like this... The person owns the land under the stream because it doesn't move, but they don't own the water above the stream bed because it's always moving.  So as long as you launch your canoe from a public site, like Falls Park in Pendleton, land owners cannot say anything to you until you step out of the canoe and touch river bottom or the bank.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:14 AM »
I had a CO explain it like this... The person owns the land under the stream because it doesn't move, but they don't own the water above the stream bed because it's always moving.  So as long as you launch your canoe from a public site, like Falls Park in Pendleton, land owners cannot say anything to you until you step out of the canoe and touch river bottom or the bank.

I cant disagree with what you were told.  But you are putting on at a "navigable'' point.  I don't know all the "ins and outs'' of it.  If it is deemed non-navigable then you are trespassing.

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:43 AM »
It would be nice if we could all understand the laws without having a Harvard Law degree.  It's pretty bad when 2 CO's can't tell you the same thing.  Back to the matter at hand, regardless of navigability it seems pretty impractical to access a private lake via a creek or ditch.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Navigable or non-navigable is very subjective as I would consider all water navigable in some way.  The listings on the link only list a handful of rivers and creeks - so there hasn't been a court decision on most creeks/rivers.  It never hurts to just try, the worst that can happen is they will tell you to leave - I doubt you would get a ticket if you justified your reason to an officer since you weren't blatantly walking across someone's yard to gain access.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:08 AM »
It would be nice if we could all understand the laws without having a Harvard Law degree.  It's pretty bad when 2 CO's can't tell you the same thing.  Back to the matter at hand, regardless of navigability it seems pretty impractical to access a private lake via a creek or ditch.

Yep

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Navigable or non-navigable is very subjective as I would consider all water navigable in some way.  The listings on the link only list a handful of rivers and creeks - so there hasn't been a court decision on most creeks/rivers.  It never hurts to just try, the worst that can happen is they will tell you to leave - I doubt you would get a ticket if you justified your reason to an officer since you weren't blatantly walking across someone's yard to gain access.

That may be true Bruce, but the law is in place for a reason and those that are on the list are probably water that have public access.  As I said it was a issue around here concerning a certain lake.  But one thing always to keep in mind through all of this is that it very well might be a private lake with no access.  But if it has a public inflow or outflow then the fish belong to the state of Indiana.  All bag limits and lengths will apply.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.