Author Topic: Winches  (Read 2017 times)

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
Winches
« on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:29 PM »
I have sportsman 500. What size winch should a person put on? Would a 2000 pound be enough or go for a 3000 pound. Thanks

Offline copperyj

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Winches
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:34 PM »
2000 lb should be more than enough. I would highly recommend the synthetic rope though on either one. Much safer and easier to use. If you have not seen it or used it google it.

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:37 PM »
2000 pound with a snatch block doubled back to the machine makes 4000 pound pulling capacity.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2013, 03:44 AM »
Having used winches for years I would second the the synthetic rope suggestion.

WS

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:05 AM »
Thanks guys, now I need decide if I'm going to install the winch and bracket or a dealer. Going to do some pricing today..

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2013, 04:35 AM »
I can attest to the synthetic rope, that is about all we use here at work, from 10 mm all the way up to 60 mm Dynex 12 braid rope. The catalog we order from says 6 mm (7/16") 12 strand Dynex rope has a minimum breaking strength of 4700 kg or 10340 lbs or over 5 US tons. One of the bad things about it is that it can be cut easier than wire so it needs to be protected, the other bad thing is the cost of the pre-made winch ropes if you don't know how to splice it.

If you want to learn to splice your own tuck slice on to the end of your rope and save some money here you go!

http://www.hampidjan.com/media/pdf/Dynex_Tuck_splice_with_head.pdf

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:36 AM »
Thanks guys, now I need decide if I'm going to install the winch and bracket or a dealer. Going to do some pricing today..
Installs are easy, just make sure you get the mounting plate with the winch.  Takes about an hour, maybe more if you have not torn into the front plastics before.  Depending on year the power lead should already be run, just connect the positive (should be dead ended) by the battery. 

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Badlands 3000# from harbor freight have great reviews and tested to be submersible resitant down to 3 meters. The motor and cable difference in the 2500 and the 3000 are night and day along with the retrieval speed. The extended warranty will have you worry free for for 2 years. I just put one on my 2010 500 HO its was easy the sportsmans are pre wired. you will need the winch bracket for your model/year atv though.
Here is the link for the review.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-performance-modifications/30658-harbor-freight-badlands-3000lb-winch-review.html
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:51 PM »

Harbor Freight. They have a great selection at reasonable prices. Santa got mine there. Then, you need a mounting plate, usually best from the dealer. You might have to re-drill the plate to match the winch. My dealer wanted $550.00 for a 3K winch, plus two hours labor ($85.00 per hour). I did it for $250.00 Total. 2K winch. The plate was $55.00.alone.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:53 PM »
Harbor Freight. They have a great selection at reasonable prices. Santa got mine there. Then, you need a mounting plate, usually best from the dealer. You might have to re-drill the plate to match the winch. My dealer wanted $550.00 for a 3K winch, plus two hours labor ($85.00 per hour). I did it for $250.00 Total. 2K winch. The plate was $55.00.alone.

Forgot to mention: and I installed a cut off switch under my seat for the winch. Just as an added safety feature.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.