Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 228283 times)

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #600 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:16 PM »
very accesible, we drove a truck in 2 wheel drive and the lake is a stone throw from the trail. obviously once the snow accumulates you will need an atv or sled but its well maintained and remains accesible through the winter.

Offline Randy L

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #601 on: Dec 19, 2012, 12:01 AM »
Thanks for the info. I do know the lake very well was just wondering if it was accessible by vehicle at this time of year. I used to hunt out of the camp just over the hill from the lake. Have fished many of the lakes in the area since the '70's. At that time Granite was stocked with specks and it was a great lake both winter and summer until the perch were introduced :(

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #602 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I hope someone is having fun and good luck on those back lakes. A couple of early season pics would be good. Best wishes and a safe season to all.

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #603 on: Dec 29, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Hi all,
 I'm new to the kingston area this year and i would just like to say hi to everyone!!! I've been reading a lot and it doesnt seem like there are too many kingston people on here but i thought i would let anyone who's interested know that i spudded my way out about 30ft off the shore at kingston mills and there was about 3-4" of not so great ice. i would have been able to go farther but i felt a little uneasy out there. I may wait another week and try for my first of the year on the hardwater.
ECB

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #604 on: Dec 29, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Nice to hear from you eastcoastboy,  there are a few of here from the Kingston area.  Be careful out there on that slush ice.
by the way I`m from the east too (Cape Breton)

sig (Ron)  VVV
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #605 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Welcome to the board Eastcoastboy.....Glad to see there is a bunch from down home...lol  From NB myself and wife is from NL, I fish cause she tells me too.....lol  Looking forward to getting out on HayBay soon and  Loughborough Lake for lakers
Stay safe
Tim

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #606 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I'm also from NB. Chances are i will see you on the west end of loughborough when it freezes up, i'm itchin' for my first laker as i have never caught one before. Until this year i never had access to a lake that holds lakers.
ECB

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #607 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Anyone check out Dog lake by the shipyards? Any ice there yet?
@jzuliniak

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #608 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:27 AM »
My buddy who lives on Dog near the 3 cats said he has 4" outside his house.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #609 on: Dec 31, 2012, 08:04 AM »
Hi all,
 I'm new to the kingston area this year and i would just like to say hi to everyone!!! I've been reading a lot and it doesnt seem like there are too many kingston people on here but i thought i would let anyone who's interested know that i spudded my way out about 30ft off the shore at kingston mills and there was about 3-4" of not so great ice. i would have been able to go farther but i felt a little uneasy out there. I may wait another week and try for my first of the year on the hardwater.
Welcome to the shanty Eastcoastboy!  There's actually quite a few guys on here from the kingston area.  Be carefull on the ice by the locks!  Some of the smaller back lakes are frozen over good enough to walk on, just spud as you go.
My buddy who lives on Dog near the 3 cats said he has 4" outside his house.
Good to hear that, any word on hogans/shipyard bay?
Tight lines

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #610 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Well I ventured out on Verona Lake yesterday for the first time this hardwater season.  There was 4" of ice under a several inches of snow.  There were at least 5 others out on the lake with their new ice fishing gear they received for Christmas -hahahaha! Anyway, was a good day on the lake but hope that we keep freezing temperatures over the coming days or the lake will start to water / slush up.  The fish were biting well and were preferring minnows over artificial bait. By the way, the propane-powered auger I bought last year works like a charm.  Screw the bottle on after a year without use and 2 pulls and it was cutting holes like a hot knife through butter! Woohoo!

Cheers for now!

Don
a.k.a. Leviathan_Slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #611 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:12 PM »
.                          not what I was after but had to snap a photo of the first fish of 2013!

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #612 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Wow! Nice fish !
><(((((((((( {•<  .. .  ..... . ><(((•>

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #613 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:12 PM »
HOLY BASS!! Nice one, hope there were some keeper fish caught as well.

Offline icejunkie33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #614 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:25 AM »
   An hours efforts this morning in my secret spot! ;) fished 42 FOW and the crappies ranged from 30-40 FOW! caught them on a mud bug with waxies! love my showdown sonar!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #615 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Nice haul Ice junkie33!
Tight lines

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #616 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:19 PM »
Those are some beauty papermouths!  MMmm delicious!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #617 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:23 PM »
I heading to Dog lake, shipyards area, I will post a report on ice conditions (and hopefully fish) when I get back.  Where is everyone else fishing this weekend?
@jzuliniak

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #618 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:36 PM »
As posted in general discussions, being new to the area, I imagine I will be watching out the window to see just how many will attempt the trek out on the west end of Loughborough, with phone in hand. Be careful out there

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #619 on: Jan 04, 2013, 10:31 PM »
there might be a slight chance depending on what i looks like out there tomorrow morning i will be out. I will be spuddin one or two step at a time but we will se some tomorrow morning at about 07:00-08:00
ECB

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #620 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Waiting for a few cold days and then heading out to Verona this coming weekend. Reports indicate that there is 4 or 5 inches of ice right now but everyone is being careful not to take 4-wheelers out yet. Better safe than sorry. I expect after this week fishing will pick up as the ice firms up. Have some new toys to take out. You will find me on the ice - I will have an Ice Shanty flag up! Woohoo! Be safe and see some of you soon.

Don

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #621 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:17 PM »
I was on verona lake yesterday. there was 6-7" of ice. there was also a 4 wheeler that was ripping around out there as well. and a decent amount of guys out as well considering the wind was blowing 50-60 km/h.
ECB

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #622 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:22 PM »
ahhh.. but did you catch anything...? ;)
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #623 on: Jan 21, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Well then ice conditions on Verona Lake sound even better than first reports. Definitely looking forward to the weekend!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #624 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:07 PM »
This is a test of embedding a pic in the forum. The pic is my son at end of December when we were on Verona Lake. Want to thank JZ for the info!

Don
aka Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #625 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Here is the Team Ice Shanty flag that I have when I am fishing! See you on the ice!

Don
aka leviathan_slayer

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #626 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:28 PM »
Megaram,
I was actually shocked... i spudded out and drilled a hole and put my ducer in and marked a fish instantly!!! so i put on a buckshot tipped with a nightcrawler and down i sent it. i was in 24fow and as soon as i had my lure above the fish it took off to the bottom and then not 5-6 seconds later after twitching the bait it launched off the bottom and SMACK... It hit the bait at the 20Ft mark. It turned out to be a 16" Pike but holy did it ever hit hard. Also caught 3 little 4" perch. I will try verona out again for sure.
ECB

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #627 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:10 PM »
I have been using a great computer program over last 2 years to create bathymetric maps for lakes where you can not find such maps. I have mapped Verona, Howes and 2nd Depot Lakes with great success. The image below gives you an example of how the program outputs a map that I can use in paper form or even as a file on my GPS Fishfinder. The image below is the early version before I embedded it in a google map and added shoreline data. It makes fishing lakes with no existing maps a lot easier.

Don
aka Leviathan_slayer

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #628 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:32 PM »
That's a great little map. Thanks for sharing SLAYER! i now know where i want to drill some holes next time.
ECB

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #629 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I need to get out on verona, never fished it.. this has been a tough year for me hitting the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.