The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Swan Lake, Pike  (Read 1241 times)

Offline PTN4BIRD

• IceShanty Rookie
Swan Lake, Pike
« on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Has anyone had any luck Spearing Pike at Swan Lake?

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Swan Lake, Pike
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:55 PM »
If you have, you better not admit it, because spearing through the ice isn't legal on Swan Lake.  It is on Seeley Lake and Salmon Lake.

Offline PTN4BIRD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2017, 05:08 PM »
well, that answers that.  Bummer.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:53 PM »
 :blink:

Offline 9tine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2017, 09:23 AM »
I have never understood why they haven't opened that side to spearing. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:50 AM »
I have never understood why they haven't opened that side to spearing. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
Probably politics and lobbying by open water anglers.  The regulations permit much broader spearfishing in the central and eastern fishing districts, both during open water (speargunning) and through the ice (darkhouse spearing).  Complain to members of the fish and game commission.  FWP appears to be trying to reduce pike numbers in Swan Lake, so why not allow spearing? I snorkel and speargun for pike during open water seasons, and I've done some spearing through the ice, and would welcome the opportunity to do them on Swan Lake and other lakes in the area.

Offline 9tine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2017, 03:31 PM »
pmmpete, how many pike are the open water speargunners taking in the Clearwater chain, in your opinion?

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2017, 05:14 PM »
Hey fellas, you really need to read your fishing regs and especially the district exceptions. I count 12 lakes open to spearing pike in our western district. Won't list them here, but you will find lakes near you, especially in the north, if you check it out.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:37 PM »
pmmpete, how many pike are the open water speargunners taking in the Clearwater chain, in your opinion?
Because there are only a handful of open water speargunners who are regularly active in the area, the total number of pike that the speargunners take is trivial compared to the number taken by open water rod anglers and ice anglers.  But if FWP is interested in reducing pike numbers, speargunning and darkhouse spearing are additional ways to do that.  And snorkeling and speargunning is very sporting and a lot of fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.