The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rod Building  (Read 4343 times)

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rod Building
« on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Here are a couple of rod's that I'm building for my wife. She likes a shorter fishing rod but the regular Ice Rods were to short to reach over the side of the boat good. I was having a hard time finding a short rod that was stiff enough to jig with. These are 6' - 1 pc medium action casting rods that I cut down to 4'9''. What do you think?

Offline mr.mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rod Building
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Damn nice poles if you ask me i personaly like a short pole had thorn bros build one foe for me 48 incher love it but i broke the tip off so now its 45 inches    Graphite ?????
<

Offline code4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "You talkin to me?"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:15 PM »
Nice looking rods man, I'll take two ;)

Offline IcedBush13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is the sport of drowning worms
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:22 AM »
I like those. I build my own ice fishing rods but i havn't tried anything like that. I suppose it would be the same just not cutting as much off. Anyway good work.

Offline spudbar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Nice looking rods make 2 for me too   ;D

Offline mr.mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Hey, er-e-is   Waitng for you to post order forms
<

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:52 AM »
top notch, e.  i broke my favorite faler's rod at the derby...   :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:  i have rod envy

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:32 AM »
What would be the perfect jigging rod? I like a 7' MH spinning rod for both ice and boat jigging. I have tried Faler's rods but just have a hard time with a short rod. How much would you pay for your perfect custom rod?

Offline Big Mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:33 AM »
top notch, e.  i broke my favorite faler's rod at the derby...   :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:  i have rod envy

I'll bet an ugly stick wouldn't have broke, or was it operator error?

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:50 AM »
What would be the perfect jigging rod? I like a 7' MH spinning rod for both ice and boat jigging. I have tried Faler's rods but just have a hard time with a short rod. How much would you pay for your perfect custom rod?

i love everything about the large-ferrule Faler's rods that are about 40"+ in length.  not the ones with the trigger on them: they are apparently of different construction - worse glue, less backbone, etc.  we paid $50 for the Faler's, but i woudn't be too surprised if they aren't making any more of those, with Faler's being bought out now.   i think they were worth the $50.  i would have to know how much material/$ you would put in to your custom rods, and how much time, and what the finished product comes out looking like, to give you a dollar figure of what i'd be willing to spend on one.  i probably would have a hard time spending more than $75-$100 on a rod, though, no matter how fine the product, because i am not rich.   :)

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:52 AM »
I'll bet an ugly stick wouldn't have broke, or was it operator error?

operator error, for sure.  thinking about how easy it should have been to catch a fish bigger than the 5 lb $1000 fish....

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2008, 11:25 AM »
er-e-is do you have all the equipment for rod building? i have been wanting to try bulding a rod but looks kind of expensive getting the equipment (winders, motors, dyers...etc)

Offline mr.mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:57 PM »

Thorne Bros. Rods are around 70 to 100 bucks i use a 5 1/2 foot med to heavy rod out of the boat but all i fish for is lakers any where from 1/4 to 3/4 ounce jigs
<

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:59 PM »
I bought the Premium Rod Building set from Cabelas, around $100.00, which includes the hand rod wrapper and the drying motor. The rods I'm working on now are Cabelas Fish Eagle II Kits. They were about $160.00 for the pair, that includes shipping ($25.00)which was an extra $12.00 because of the 1 pc. 6' rods. I will have about 3-4 hours in each rod. I'm sure it could be done quicker. I have only built one other rod before these 2. The first one is 3 yrs old (also a Cabelas kit)and still holding together good, in fact it was the one I used to catch the derby winner. There are a lot of options out there but I would suggest a kit to start with. Everything you need is there. I started tying flies when I was about 10 Y.O. so I had a little experience winding thread. The rods are really pretty easy and fun to build

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2008, 07:13 PM »
I built my first rod(ice rod) this winter.  what satisfaction to catch fish on and what a joy to hold a pole that I balanced just for me.  I order a catalog from Mud Hole do your self a favor and get there free catalog.  www.mudhole.com 866-790-rods.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2008, 08:35 PM »
I recieved my Mudhole catalog this week. Now to decide which one will be next....

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2008, 03:33 AM »
nice
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:40 AM »
Just about done building my first rod!!!! will post pics when I am finished

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2008, 10:02 PM »
hey er-e-is, you still gonna make some rods for us Wyoming boys?   ;D  i could use another.  my ideal ice rod, like i said, are (like the old faler's) about 48" with a real long handle section that you can brace your arm along, with a sensitive forward section that develops a pretty heavy spine approaching the handle.  so it has enough sensitivity to feel a 1/2 oz jig at 100 ft on 15 lb line, but enough backbone to tire out a potential lunky lunker. 

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2008, 09:25 AM »
hey er-e-is, you still gonna make some rods for us Wyoming boys?   ;D  i could use another.  my ideal ice rod, like i said, are (like the old faler's) about 48" with a real long handle section that you can brace your arm along, with a sensitive forward section that develops a pretty heavy spine approaching the handle.  so it has enough sensitivity to feel a 1/2 oz jig at 100 ft on 15 lb line, but enough backbone to tire out a potential lunky lunker. 

I PM'ed ya.

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:54 AM »
Just finished building my second rod, will post pictures soon

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:57 AM »
I sure have enjoyed building a pole from scratch.

Offline gmanfuzzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2009, 03:09 PM »
thru the years i keep all the old fishing poles and parts that i find. usingthe tops and handles i make my own ice fishing poles.  most of them four to five feet long. add a reel and a spring bobber and some 4 lb line with 2 lb leader and they work great. i dont fish from a shanty and the extra length keeps you away from the hole in shallow water.  i like to fish six feet or less.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:22 PM »
One of my favorite ice poles is one I built from a rod that died when the wind blew my pickup door shut at Bulll Lake and cut it in half.  :woot: :icefish:  just the right action with a 1/4 ounce jig tied on.  LT/ISM  :tipup:

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Like LT, When I first started jigging for Walleyes about 1987 I could not find the right rods. I remember it well  I was driving by this guys house and he had a whole bunch of junk fishing rods in his garbage can and the light came on. I took those rods from his garbage and build my own. Well here she is, my first rod which i built from broken ones. This rod is and has been retired for years, it was the rod I was using when I pulled my first big eye through the ice. 9lb er. I have even kept the first jigs I used.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Nice job and good luck.
olefish

Offline joevanoni

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Helo er-e-is
Nice poles, I have been makeing my own poles for years and some of them are truely "UGLY" sticks.I am always looking for broken rods to cut, glue, and wrap back into life.It allways brings me pleasure to catch something on a rod, and sometimes up to 5 difrent rods, tied together.  Hope to make poles as smart looking as yours some day.Catch some lunkers on yours.  Joe

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:57 PM »
I killed an $85.00 St. Croix spincast rod by letting the truck door slam on it in the wind...not exactly cheap, but what an ice-pole it made!  ;D                                            Don        LT/ISM

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:05 PM »
I too am a builder, and it is a very rewarding craft. I make ice rods out of junkers that my wife and her friends find at garage sales in the summer. The fun part is experimenting with new things, like marbleizing, painting blanks, and turning fancy wood or cork grips on the lathe. I have been messing around with super stubby rods with near parabolic action. I stick a Marmish indicator on the end, and they work great. I am building one for a close friend that is only 14'' long.

He called me a moron when he saw the first one, now he is borrowing it until his gets done! :laugh:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:03 PM »
I too am a builder, and it is a very rewarding craft. I make ice rods out of junkers that my wife and her friends find at garage sales in the summer. The fun part is experimenting with new things, like marbleizing, painting blanks, and turning fancy wood or cork grips on the lathe. I have been messing around with super stubby rods with near parabolic action. I stick a Marmish indicator on the end, and they work great. I am building one for a close friend that is only 14'' long.

He called me a moron when he saw the first one, now he is borrowing it until his gets done! :laugh:
Hey Skipper, I think I'd like to see some pics of the fancy ones and the Marmish  ;D Don
                                                                               LT/Iceshanty Mod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.