The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Blade creep???  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Auger Blade creep???
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Let me explain......I have seen this happen on both Strikemaster Mag 2000's and Jiffy's. When the auger is at idle, the blade creeps (turns) slowly. Like it is in gear without the throttle being pressed. Which I know is not supposed to happen while at idle. Is this due to worn clutch springs? I see on the Strikemaster Website they have replacements cheap......but I am curious if anyone else has seen this and what they did to fix it. Could it be an adjustment to the throttle cable?

My Strikemaster is a good 8 yrs old, runs like a champ but lately things have started to wear and tare. Just broke the recoil (almost inevitable at some point)...cheap and easy fix. But, I am also going to clean the carb and go through it.

The blade creep bothers me though.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline thebig1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Auger Blade creep???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:58 AM »
Adjust your idle maybe? Mine was idleing to high at one point and doing the same thing, I've had it for 10+ years and haven't ever replaced anything on it, I do regular mait. though
Here fishy fishy!!!!!!
[IMG]

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:44 PM »
my brand new strikmaster mag 2000 spins a tiny bit when i have he drill held off the ice.  when i put it on the ice it doesnt spin at all.
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:34 PM »
It's not the throttle cable.........I can see the throttle (attached to a spring which controls the idle) and the spring is fine. The little idler arm sticks. It doesn't go back to it''s normal state after the throttle arm is pushed. I sprayed the heck out if it with carb cleaner but I don't think it will fix the problem. The spring goes back to normal but the throttle arm sticks a little. I can literally watch it. Might need to rip it apart in the off season......I'm not messing with it now.
I cleaned up the carb (without removing it) and changed the plug & filter, and fixed the recoil. Started on the second pull. Has fresh gas and oil and is good to go. I'll deal with it in the off season.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline mech12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:25 AM »
 its your clutch.  you may need to take the bottom gearcase apart. remove the drill dit. flip onto recoil asm.  i think there are 5 torx-30 screw to rmove. the bottom comes off.  now you will see a small pinion gear along with a bigger compound gear. remove the compoun gear.  now there are 4 bolts holding the upper gear case to the engine.  remove these four and remove upper gearcase.  now you are at the clutch.  alot of time you just get the pad dust built up and this will cause the clutch to drag.  blow out.  check springs.  they will either be broken or not.... they will not "stretch" over time so this wont be a concern. if you want remove clutch.  clean the drum with some 220 grit paper to remove any build up. clean the clutch shoes also with some paper as well.  hope this will help

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:36 AM »
THANKS...........I will try it!!!!!
-Frank Zappa

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2009, 11:32 PM »
I know when I adjust my jiffy now, I can adjust it to start spinning at a smooth idle....then back it off....for the weather.

I just adjust the right adjustment screw, until the blade stops spinning...then it is good to go.

Like most things with augers...try some tuning...i say!!

good luck!!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.