The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: greatfalls  (Read 1758 times)

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
greatfalls
« on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:40 PM »
so i am going to be in great falls with my girlfriend on march 18-20th any one know any good
open water fishing? isnt there a dam right in great falls is it any good fishing? im looking for ling,
catfish, walleye, pike, browns whatever is good fishing. any help would be awsome.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: greatfalls
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:54 PM »
I would try below morony dam with live minnows

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline Hillbilly75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:58 PM »
There are a number of dams, but I have yet to find any easy access to these areas (only been here a few months). My suggestion would be to go to Giant Springs State Park. There is a lot of access to the Missouri right off the road. There is also fishing access directly behind the hatchery in that park as well. Have seen many big fish cruising right off the bank there and have caught a few trout. Opens at 8 and I would get there then since it is easy access meaning many people show up. Not sure about ling, pike or walleye, but I know that area has carp and trout. Also, tried to drive to Morony that RAMBO51 mentioned but it was closed (construction) a few weeks ago and not sure when it is to open back up.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:04 PM »
had a buddy that caught a pike at giant springs it was probably 5-7 lbs

-MudbuM Boys

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:44 PM »
what am i most likely going to catch below dam with live minnows and where would i get live minnows in
great falls.

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:50 PM »
you are probably going to catch anything that is a predator you can get minnows out at roberts bait

-MudbuM Boys

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:51 PM »
First, Morony is the only dam you can fish live minnows, the rest is prohibited.  Sheels has minnows and maybe Leonard at Roberts bait outside of town in Gibson Flats. If you really want open water fishing, your best chances would probably be  upriver in the canyon below Holter dam and on down.  The holes have ling and wallys as well as those pesky football sized trouts.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Hillbilly, access below Black Eagle on the north sidecan be found by turning down past MT Power after crossing the bridge and going the back way to Anaconda Hills golf course. When you get down to the curve, there is a road that goes to the right that goes down below the bridge to the island. Access to other dams can be found by a hiking trail at Ryan Dam, a parking lot by Rainbow Dam by going past Giant Springs on the road.

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:42 PM »
morony dam is that the on that is right in great falls? if not what dam is that?

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:48 PM »
Black Eagle. Rainbow is only a short ways past Giant Springs, so technically out of town, but the AFB goes out further. The dam is about parallel to the start of the AFB. Marony is accessed by the same road as Ryan, I think.

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:04 PM »
so how far is morony? i would like to hook some walleye, ling and catfish.

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:24 AM »
Take the road to Haver,there will be a sign on the right side.The road is pretty twisty so take it slow.Better bring lots of gear,she is pretty snaggy by the dam and bring a long rod so you can get over the fence.In the summer it is a nice hike and fish down to the big eddy.Word of warning there are some big fish in there so might want to beef up your line.
BBJ

Offline Hillbilly75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:27 AM »
thanks for the direction fishin247. A few weeks ago, me and a buddy went to check out Morony Dam but it was "no access". Pretty sure it is undergoing some construction. We definitely couldn't drive down and I don't think you could walk down from the bathrooms either. So, unless something has changed in the past few weeks, Morony Dam option may be a disappointment kingling. If this is not the case, I would love to know cause I have tried to get in there twice over the past few months but "no access" each time.

Offline chumley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Drive to Loma.  There is a fishing access where the highway bridge crosses the Marias.  Fish under that bridge at night with live minnows for catfish and ling.

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2011, 03:00 PM »
how far is loma from great falls?

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:01 PM »
bout 50 miles  river probably covered in ice tho right now

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:03 PM »
it might not be march 18th though. hopefully not what fish are in that river?

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:05 PM »
i caught a couple pretty nice sauger and walleye on my way through one time jiggin from shore...and some suckers....heard of smallmouth bass, catfish, and whitefish there too
heard of sturgeon long time ago too. who knows

Offline kingling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:30 PM »
i can use live minnows in there. any other baits i should try cut bait?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.