Author Topic: Quick strike question.  (Read 1057 times)

Offline mytiburon

• IceShanty Rookie
Quick strike question.
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I usually use the quickstrike with a stationary treble at the end of the line followed by a sliding treble. I want to try the other style that looks like a upside down V with the treble on each leg. What length do you typically have for each leg of the V or what angle would you typically have them on, thank you.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Quick strike question.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I've use the traditional Q/S rigs with great success over the years. My son has taken the initiative and designed some of his own, most which resemble the  kind you describe.

One of the problems with this design is when fish hit, the second leg can get hooked up somewhere back of the mouth in the body of the fish. Not a big problem except many times it changes the angle/direction in which you bring fish to hole. Ayron (my son) calls it "lassoed". If the fish is hooked in the middle it's almost impossible to get it's face in the hole. He has actually prodded some fish hooked that way at the hole with a skimmer handle to get them to come up.

I've had so much success with traditional Q/S rigs I'll not likely change.  I am experimenting with some "hot dog" rigs that are a little different but time will tell. If you're looking to "balance' your bait so it hangs perfectly horizontal, you're over-thinking. Dead bait is dead......... it doesn't look "natural", it's dead.

Just my opinions based on my experiences........... ..user mileage may vary.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Look up Big Tooth Tackle. As far as I am concerned they set the standard. I use the Fluorocarbons but the choice is yours. I prefer the larger size coupled with the largest sucker minnows I can get. Here we have lakes that will kick out pike in the 25 lb + range. These are what I target. Also in stained water the spinners on these QS rigs really produce some viberation. Once the flag trips, just grab it and hang on!

WS

Offline mytiburon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Thanks guys, that helped, I made a tester up and tried this morning, I perfer this new way (for me)over the sliding treble style I used to use, bait hangs nice and the pike swalled the whole thing!I added a bell weight at the top of the rig so the bait drops nice and fast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.