The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Growth Spreadsheet Year 2 - 2023 and 2024  (Read 1946 times)

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Growth Spreadsheet Year 2 - 2023 and 2024
« on: Dec 18, 2023, 08:53 AM »
It's back for another year, even if it hasn't inspired much confidence as of yet.
I understand that it isn't a perfect science but it is a fun exercise for me to track the temperature trends and give a rough idea when ice will form.
I will try to keep this post updated every Monday through the ice season.
For those of you that didn't follow along last year, I have developed a spreadsheet for rough early season ice growth that I've been using the last couple of seasons. The high and low temps are averaged from the monthly forecast from Wundergroun, Weather.com, and Accuweather. The spreadsheet works on the theory that it takes 15 freezing degrees in roughly 24 hours to make 1 inch of ice (a rough description of the Ashton Method of Ice Growth Prediction can be found here:http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-growth/).
The Rightmost column represents theoretical inches of ice growth (or loss).
The Column for FD Week is a total of Freezing Degrees over the course of 7 days, Monday to Sunday.
The Column for Freezing Degrees is the average of the daily high and low subtracted from 32 degrees for each day.
A red date in the leftmost column is a day that has passed and the temps are recorded, a bold date is a forecasted date.
Please note that there is no way in the spreadsheet to factor in things that may inhibit ice growth (or loss) such as:
-Wind Strength
-Snow Cover
-Cloud Cover
-Radiational Cooling
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Growth Spreadsheet Year 2 - 2023 and 2024
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2023, 08:55 AM »
This Chart is for this month. Forecast dates of Dec 18th through the 31st.
I will attempt to update this every Monday through the ice season with the exception of next Monday (Christmas).

"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2024, 07:38 AM »
Took a few days away from my desk for the Holiday so I didn't get an update in for the end of December.
This chart is a early look at the first couple weeks of January. The forecast is a little sloppy, Accuweather is calling for colder temps than Wunderground or the Weather Channel, and that puts more optimism in this chart than what I anticipated.

Update: Had to correct the year on the Chart.

No, I haven't.

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2024, 12:09 PM »
It seems crazy how warm our overnight lows have been this year.  I will have to wait and see what the winds on the back end of the next two storms do.  Hopefully the lakes cap and have a chance to build some ice.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2024, 01:42 PM »
Lakes in Pike Co. were capped as of this morning..............w ith a fresh dusting of snow on them- unfortunately 6-10” of snow this weekend is gonna wreck it. 🙄
Where's the FISH?!

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2024, 02:11 PM »
Took a few days away from my desk for the Holiday so I didn't get an update in for the end of December.
This chart is a early look at the first couple weeks of January. The forecast is a little sloppy, Accuweather is calling for colder temps than Wunderground or the Weather Channel, and that puts more optimism in this chart than what I anticipated.

Update: Had to correct the year on the Chart.

I like watching this sheet. What area are you getting the temp readings?

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2024, 07:29 AM »
I enter Coudersport, PA into the weather service for the monthly forecast. I will make the note that for WeatherUnderground the Monthly forecast defaults to your nearest weather station. In that case it goes over to the Bradford Airport in McKean County.
No, I haven't.

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2024, 09:23 AM »
I enter Coudersport, PA into the weather service for the monthly forecast. I will make the note that for WeatherUnderground the Monthly forecast defaults to your nearest weather station. In that case it goes over to the Bradford Airport in McKean County.

Thank you

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2024, 09:46 AM »
1-8-24 Update.
Once we get through this week things seem to be looking up, with all 3 forecasts showing at at least a full week without temps above freezing. My guess is that somebody will be fishing somewhere in PA the weekend of the 20th.

No, I haven't.

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2024, 12:14 PM »
1-8-24 Update.
Once we get through this week things seem to be looking up, with all 3 forecasts showing at at least a full week without temps above freezing. My guess is that somebody will be fishing somewhere in PA the weekend of the 20th.

:clap: Me....it will be me  :thumbsup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2024, 01:05 PM »
   :clap: Me....it will be me  :thumbsup:

I may have to take a “mental health” day during the week...............don’t think I can wait til the 20th!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RayJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2024, 03:41 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing your prediction come true. Just wish it wasn't still 2 weeks away.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2024, 03:36 PM »
The shad will be running inthe Roanoake in 6-7 weeks and we haven't drilled one hole in the ice yet.  Crazy year.

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2024, 07:30 AM »
Update 1-16-24. Looks like winter for a change out there, this stretch of days below freezing should put safe ice out there somewhere in Northern PA. Please note that I have no way to factor for the insulating effect of the snow in this spreadsheet. If your favorite lake was locked up and now has 4 inches of powdery snow on it, assume that the growth rate in this chart is 1/2 or less. I plan on fishing next weekend, although it may be a short couple of day season with the warm and rain coming around the 23rd.

No, I haven't.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2024, 07:34 AM »
I saw pics of guys fishing several different lakes in NEPA the last 2 days.................. ...... I'm hoping to take tomorrow off and be fishing on the ice somewhere!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2024, 07:43 AM »
This is a great table and interesting. Would you mind sharing the table so I can enter the info for my area. I will be going out this weekend. The itch needs to be scratched. Just wondering what the thickness of the ice might be before the spud bar hits it.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline OldandNumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2024, 03:38 PM »
Thanks for posting the spreadsheet. I used it last year and created one for two of the lakes I fish in the Poconos. Just need to get the day things cap over. Is that how you set your “zero” point? Or do you adjust based upon reports? Curious about that.

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:58 PM »
Thanks for posting the spreadsheet. I used it last year and created one for two of the lakes I fish in the Poconos. Just need to get the day things cap over. Is that how you set your “zero” point? Or do you adjust based upon reports? Curious about that.

I don’t set a day zero, the weekly count resets each Monday and the month is always from the first. I do however put reports in a column to the right to check my predictions against what I’m seeing on the ground.
No, I haven't.

Offline OldandNumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2024, 05:52 AM »
I don’t set a day zero, the weekly count resets each Monday and the month is always from the first. I do however put reports in a column to the right to check my predictions against what I’m seeing on the ground.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2024, 07:24 AM »
1-22-24 Update
Finally got some good ice but the snow covering on top of the fresh ice sheets definitely slowed down our growth. We can only hope that the snow cover pulls an uno reverse and protects the ice sheets from this warmup coming.
Chart for the rest of January.

Early outlook for February.

No, I haven't.

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2024, 07:10 AM »
Forgot to update yesterday. Spreadsheet shows a look into February with a bit of growth on a few cold night that might get us back out for another weekend on the lakes that didn't loose their main ice sheet.

No, I haven't.

Offline pabassman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2024, 12:54 PM »
1-22-24 Update
Finally got some good ice but the snow covering on top of the fresh ice sheets definitely slowed down our growth. We can only hope that the snow cover pulls an uno reverse and protects the ice sheets from this warmup coming.
Chart for the rest of January.

Early outlook for February.

:icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.