The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: ice conditions in Grayling/Lewiston Area?  (Read 2059 times)

Offline theozmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
ice conditions in Grayling/Lewiston Area?
« on: Dec 15, 2007, 07:33 PM »
has anyone heard about ice conditions on any of the small to mid-sized lakes up there, lookin to fish Big Creek Impoundment and possibly one of the twin lakes in lewiston next week. also, if anyone is willin to give up a lake or two that has some decent walleye/pike fishin thru the ice in the area, it would be greatly appreciated

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice conditions in Grayling/Lewiston Area?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 07:47 PM »
Around Alpena we have at least 7" in most places. Have you thought about the Fletcher Floodwater for pike? There are some monster pike in there!
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline theozmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2007, 07:57 PM »
you know, i didnt even think to give that a try. i did ok this past summer on bass, but like you said, ive heard of some massive pike in there. only problem is i lack the funds to purchase electronics and i fear that since its such a large body of water, i would have difficulty locating fish.

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Many of the ice fisherman favor the west end and you won't have any trouble seeing where they are fishing. Tip-ups with big chub minnows will do the trick.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline mbrooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it swims I want to catch it
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:36 PM »
I heard they are starting to get some walleyes on Lake Margarethe. Have not been there myself yet. Might want to give Skips Sport Shop a call. He usually is in the know about lakes aroud there. His number is 989-348-7111 Hope this helps.
[IMG]

Offline theozmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:57 PM »
ive never fished it, any tips?

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:58 PM »
Fletchers :thumbsup:
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline mbrooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it swims I want to catch it
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:08 AM »
ive never fished it, any tips?

There's a launch on the west side that everyone uses. Its a bit of a trec back there and the roads last year were not well maintained. But You'll see where most guys are going about 500 yards out from the launch and I think it was only 18 feet. I could see walleye under me but couldn't manage a strike. Did catch a few nice perch though.(last year). I have a map of the lake and it shows down by the military grounds at the south end there's a lot of sunken cover. Have not traveled that far cause I have no ATV or sled. Might be a spot to check out..
[IMG]

Offline theozmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2007, 10:35 AM »
thanks a bunch, reallly appreciate the info! may just have to give it a shot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.