The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: strikemaster mag2000 opinions?  (Read 3711 times)

MADTOM

strikemaster mag2000 opinions?
« on: Dec 20, 2003, 12:28 PM »
 I've been using a 7" lazer hand auger for 10yrs and love it. Tough day though if ice gets over 10". I've been eyeing the MAG2000 due to keeping weight down. I would like to here any bad reports on this model before I envest in one. Is it under powered? I do have some extra time if it means traveling light. Like the idea of the new lazer blades but I beleave the chipper blades would serve me much longer. I could sharpen them up myself is my thoughts. There are Husquarna models on the market also. Any opinions on these? Servicing might be a draw back but the 13lb power head weight sounds great (1.2hp).

http://www.strikemaster.com/mag2000.html

http://international.husqvarna.com/node1520.asp?id=23621&intLanguageId=1

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:strikemaster mag2000 opinions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2003, 03:10 PM »
If the Mag2000 is underpowered then so are the express and ultra as they all use the same 2hp Tecumseh engine.  I live in Canada and already have 18+ inches of ice on a lot of lakes.  This should give you an idea of the kind of ice I drill through by mid season.  I absolutely love the Mag2000.  It is relatively light, always runs well, and is about the best value on the market.  After a couple holes it gets warmed up and just screams through the ice.   I've had the handles almost touching the top of the ice come midseason and it never bogs out. Speaking of handles, the plastic is very durable as well.  You're also right about the blade.  It is easy to sharpen.  No fancy curves or anything.  Just get yourself a flat file, and the appropriate size round file and you're in business.

If for some reason I had to go out and buy a new auger tomorrow, I would buy the Mag2000 again.

Cheers,
Trevor

MADTOM

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2003, 05:12 PM »
Thank You Trevor. Sounds as if it's not under powered by your comment. Yea, those fancy blades are sweet on the hand auger but forget about sharpening them I've tried

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2003, 06:59 PM »
MADTOM,
The Huskies are big $$$$. You are looking at $600 or more. I see what you are saying about sharpening blades, but I cut a lot of holes and I'll go with the speed and less weight at the cost of having blades sharpened.

I just picked up a Nils Master 8" power auger last week. Total weight is 23# and will cut 42" of ice. Can't wait to use it! You can get a Nils online for $479.

MADTOM

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:55 AM »
So whats up with the new blade design on these Nil's. Are the blades replaceble? Do they come in 8". Ice here in PA doesn't get to thick and I might drill 10-15 holes so speed isn't really a concern to me when using a power auger. I'll most likely take my hand auger for most of the season anyways. It's more portable for me. I figured the Huskys would be expensive. Are they worth it? I still like the idea of being able to hone my own chipper blades. Those fancy blades are unforgiving in this aspect and cost a mint to replace.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2003, 07:06 AM »
If you don't have an hand auger the Nils is a good deal. It comes with a handle so you can use it as a hand or power unit. I hear you about the blades. IF you do not drill in places with dirt on the ice (near overpasses, "ice roads", etc) you should not have to have the head sharpened more then once every few years. Still more $$$ then the doing your own chipper blades.

I have been trying to decide on an auger for 2 years now. I have a old chipper style and it has served me well. I went with the Nils due to the weight, speed, and the fact it has the handle included. I plan on getting a second blade unit to have on hand just in case.

You might have problems getting the Hushy. I think they might only sell them in CA.

Here is a pic on the Nils blades. There are more pic in the New England section under "My new toy"

MADTOM

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2003, 07:32 AM »
Thanks for the pic. Great detail on blade unit.

Offline 2Big4HoleOH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • U ain't had one, till u used a gaffe!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2003, 08:02 AM »
Hey Madtom:
I agree with Trevor, you cannot go wrong with the Strikemaster 2000. I have the Express with 10' blade and it goes through 3 feet of ice in no time. No underpowering..I shopped round before buying this unit a few years ago. My advice: Go with Strikemaster 2000, stay away from the triple blades and the 3hp model. Take a break, cut the ice in comfort... ;D
Iced
Iced

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2003, 02:44 PM »
Madtom,
I like my 2000 extremely well!  I use an 11" extension shaft on my auger late in the season (around March and April, when the ice gets 40+ inches deep.)  It cuts extremely well and takes little time to warm up.  I did have a little trouble last December when it was 25 below.  Seemed to stall out, but it was my fault due to a dirty carb.  My unit has the single chipper blade that even works well on a local glacial river with 40" plus ice.  I have only two pieces of advice; drain the tank (winterize your auger), and treat your blades as if they were made of gold!  The minute you start dulling your blades by being forceful, dinging them on metal or wood, etc... your curseing will begin!   I'm sure your already aware of this, but it never hurts to bring it up anyways.  2000 has plenty of power and it's nice and light!  You can't beat the price! Good luck on your choice ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:17 PM »
 I BOUGHT MY 2000 2 YEARS AGO, WORKS JUST FINE. HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS EXCEPT THE O-RING ON THE GAS CAP FOR VENTING IS BEGINING TO LEAK {.05 CENTS AT HARDWARE STORE}. I CUT ANYWHERE FROM 20 TO 50 HOLES DEPENDING ON WHERE I'M FISHING, AND HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT IT.
 WATCH AT WAL-MART, GOT MINE FOR $205.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:14 PM »
Ill vote for the Mag2000 Too. Gave mine a test run yesterday, cut alot of holes, it cut them fast and clean (no edging on the inside of the ice hole like on 2 blade hand augers) It is alot better than hand cutting, and it will make you cut more holes, which is always good! Im totally happy with mine so far. The single replacement blades arent that expesnive, so replacing the blade once a season isnt bad if needed. Most of the strikemaster have the same tecumseh engine unless its a 3HP. The difference is in the business end of the auger. You can put a Lazer Mag power auger end on a Mag2000 drivetrain & engine.

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2003, 09:55 AM »
I have one also -- works great -- especially for the price and weight
I punch alot of holes in a season -- never fouled a plug or ran bad -- 3 yrs on original blade
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

MADTOM

« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2003, 12:55 PM »
Thanks Guys. I heard enough. Going on my wish list with all the other toys I need

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.