The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Too cold?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
Too cold?
« on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:06 AM »
3:00am. 30 below.  Time to go hit the ice in the SnoBear!  I smell Smelt!
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline CRS02019

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Too cold?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:50 AM »
30 below! Yikes. Put the long johns on today. That's bone chilling. I don't think many will be out on the ice today.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:06 AM »
Come on.  It's just the wind chill.  Smelt are yummy
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline CRS02019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:21 AM »
I assume that's 30 below with wind chill. I'm in Bellingham and it's -1 right now. Cold but certainly a far cry from -30!
Plus it must be nice being in that heated beautiful new Snobear:-) Can I fish with you?  ::)

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:22 AM »
If I had smelt nearby, I'd be fishing for them too! -4 outside, 44 inside. The furnace dude is coming today to fix the furnace luckily...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:28 AM »
Smelt.  If I didn't have to work I'd go.  Maybe tonight.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:46 AM »
Headed out myself ;D

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:35 AM »
Back to work!  Only about 2 dozen but not a bad 3 hours of fishing
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:49 AM »
Headed out myself ;D

Today or Tonight?

Offline grabsjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:55 AM »
having never caught smelt, whats the deal? i know they taste great, but are they only catchable when the weather is insanely cold? also, what sort of lure/bait set up do you use?

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Screw being outside today.  I work outside and it was brutal yesterday after lunch when it was 11° and windy never mind 5° and blowing harder. Took 20 minutes yesterday and I couldn't feel my fingers. Could only imagine what it would be like today.  Last year when it was -15° with the wind it only took about 10 minutes for my fingers to go numb.  If for some reason you are going out bundle up.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Ed some of us have no choice. Ill be out in it all day. Jobs gotta get done whether we like it or not. As my wife says you have ice fishing gear to stay warm mind as well put it to use.

Flags up!
Ctownfisherman

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Ed some of us have no choice. Ill be out in it all day. Jobs gotta get done whether we like it or not. As my wife says you have ice fishing gear to stay warm mind as well put it to use.

Flags up!
Ctownfisherman

I hear ya Dave I work outside also but it is impossible to put 1/4 nuts and 5/8 x 1/4 flat washers on a 1/4-20 bolt with gloves on so you have to work with super thin gloves that don't protect you from the cold.  Had a slight case of frostbite last year after the -15f day and I'm not gonna do that again.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Had to work today, otherwise I would have been on the ice at sunrise. I've fished in colder and will again. Too cold for ice fishing is not in my vocabulary.

Offline rally

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Screw being outside today.  I work outside and it was brutal yesterday after lunch when it was 11° and windy never mind 5° and blowing harder. Took 20 minutes yesterday and I couldn't feel my fingers. Could only imagine what it would be like today.  Last year when it was -15° with the wind it only took about 10 minutes for my fingers to go numb.  If for some reason you are going out bundle up.
Ed I'm with you on that. Not a good day for a open air bulldozer. Thank god retired now. Makes good ice thou
Proudly A Member of G.O.D.S.   More Meds Please

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:39 AM »
It's not to cold to fish!

It's just to cold for me to want to fish.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Had to work today, otherwise I would have been on the ice at sunrise. I've fished in colder and will again. Too cold for ice fishing is not in my vocabulary.

Not what ya said yesterday on the phone  ???  I guess if I was able to wear my thinsulate gloves it wouldn't be that bad.  I have no problem with my feet or anything else getting cold but once you loose your hands in the middle of a solar field with nothing around to warm up in and the wind whipping at you....  Forgeddaboudit   

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:11 AM »

Not what ya said yesterday on the phone  ???  I guess if I was able to wear my thinsulate gloves it wouldn't be that bad.  I have no problem with my feet or anything else getting cold but once you loose your hands in the middle of a solar field with nothing around to warm up in and the wind whipping at you....  Forgeddaboudit
I said if I didn't have to work I would probably wait until the sun comes up. But I have gone out in colder! I fish in all weather, rain, snow, sleet, wind and cold. You should know that, owe wait, you haven't gone out yet ;-)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:40 AM »
It is cold.  I fished -14 last year, you can't do much but hope your shanty is over a pile of fish!  I am going to smelt tonight...screw the cold!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:48 AM »
It's not to cold to fish!

2X that!

When I was younger it wouldn't faze be a bit, but now nature has seen fit to make parts of my anatomy ache when it gets hot, when it gets cold, when it rains, snows or does nothing at all! man, it can really bite getting old (or older before your time)!!!

But, as stated earlier as well, THERE'S ICE BEING MADE!!!!! ;D

It's just to cold for me to want to fish.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Ive been out all day. Shanty is about 60 degrees. Winds are light and ihave had my jacket off for hours. Not nearly as bad as I anticipated. 6" solid ice

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Ive been out all day. Shanty is about 60 degrees. Winds are light and ihave had my jacket off for hours. Not nearly as bad as I anticipated. 6" solid ice
It really isn't too bad out. Tomorrow much windier! I might be going tomorrow now!?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.