Author Topic: Snack sticks and Canadian Bacon for the ice [If we ever get any]  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It's been busy around here with deer season still on and a couple tags to fill yet, but I did find some time for making some smoked goodness for the ice. First up is 20 pounds of "Unstuffed Beef sticks" using venison. they are made without casings, just formed with the stuffing tube on the grinder. The theory behind this is the fact the casings inhibit the smoke penetration too much. My first 10 pound batch went in 3 days. It got rave reviews from the family. Even my wife who is not a big fan of smoked foods.

All formed and ready for the smoker.

Loaded up and ready.

Done and resting before packaging.

All bagged up.

Next up is Canadian Bacon for sandwiches.
Cured, seasoned, and ready for some Pecan wood smoke.

First peek.

Yummy!

I also threw in 21 pounds of Boston Butt for pulled pork.

Perfect bark and falling apart.

All I need is ice! But At least I can eat myself happy while I'm waiting ;D.

As a side note, I did have some fun pranking my 6yo Granddaughter with the end trimmings from the snack sticks. They have a new puppy that isn't quite house broken and has a few accidents. One day I snuck a couple pieces on her bed, she saw them and showed me saying Luna Pooped on the bed and she would get some paper towels for me. I said don't bother. The look on her face was priceless when I picked it up with my hand, smelled it, popped it in my mouth and ate it. I said "yep it's poop" and left the room with her sitting there with her mouth wide open wondering if I really ate Poop. Too funny

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Wow that sure looks good DS....Great job....
That looks like a great smoker.....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Everything looks awesome and very delish
Curious as to how the snack sticks hold up without casings. Do they fall apart ?
I do mine with casings and love them. Never had the issue of no smoke taste

Offline hinoon12

• IceShanty Rookie
Mmm that sounds delicious! I'm curious too, do you add anything special to keep the snack sticks stuck together? I guess you smoke them on racks instead of hanging them?

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
What model/brand smoker?
Just add water.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here's the link to the recipe. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/95395/unstuffed-smoked-beef-pepperoni-sticks-with-qview

The sticks stay together very well. By the end of the smoking process, they look and feel like there is a thin casing. The key is enough fat in the meat. The original recipe uses 80/20 beef. It's recommended venison is mixed 60/40 with beef fat. I used a 70/30 ratio and it worked great.

I used my grinder with a 3/4" stuffing tube to form them. I put them on these 16"x12" trays sprayed liberally with spray oil.

SHaRPS, My smoker is homemade using an insulated refrigerator sized SS cabinet. It was a commercial smoker/cooker someone gutted and left at a neighbor's rental property. I added shelves, a 1500 watt heating element, and PID controller. It works great.

thanks for the compliments.

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ok I'm official hungry
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Do you ship??? Looks good.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Kyle_J

Wow  :o

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Would you please share the Canadian bacon recipe

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Would you please share the Canadian bacon recipe

I'd be happy to. Very simple. Morton Tender Quick and dark brown sugar.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/109617/canadian-bacon-and-dried-beef-cured-smoked

Follow his recipe for the CB part. The one thing I do differently is I thoroughly mix the cure with the brown sugar instead of applying separately I feel I can get more even coverage. I also use McCormic garlic pepper seasoning on them.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thank You , I have smoked a few birds  but want to try some bacon and other things

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice is still 4 weeks away here (worst winter I can remember)......can we just come over and eat?  Damn I am hungry!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 so awesome, so hungry...

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
Sounds and looks great,I have a large pork loin in the brine as we speak.I will remove it after 3 days,cover it with bacon grease,and black pepper,and smoke it with charcoal and sassafras wood.I may have to try the beef/ venison sticks next.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Are there any Smokers out on the market that you guys like? I am looking to buy one but have no idea where to start. Electric vs gas?
Just add water.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just smoked some home made venison jerky, Jarlesberg and Gouda cheese, and a little store bought sausage that claims to be smoked, but now actually is! ;) Apple bark and twigs from my tree. Fast and tasty; hard to keep my wife and daughter away from the cheese.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Double Shooter,CB looks spectacular. The sticks look quite dry to me but too each his own. I've played with the sticks for quite some time. I case mine for every 5 lbs of deer 1lb pork. 1 hour and 10 minutes at 165 degrees. I use hickory chips and hickory saw dust. As for spices I made my own blend instead of buying pre made mixes that do 50 lbs. My mix of spices for 5 lbs of meat,4 teaspoons of salt 1 teaspoon of pink salt,1 tablespoon each of garlic powder,course black pepper,cayenne pepper,and red pepper flakes.

Offline Pause Game

• IceShanty Rookie
I just made my New Years resolutions.  I need more of this in my life especially with ice no where in site.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Double Shooter,CB looks spectacular. The sticks look quite dry to me but too each his own. I've played with the sticks for quite some time. I case mine for every 5 lbs of deer 1lb pork. 1 hour and 10 minutes at 165 degrees. I use hickory chips and hickory saw dust. As for spices I made my own blend instead of buying pre made mixes that do 50 lbs. My mix of spices for 5 lbs of meat,4 teaspoons of salt 1 teaspoon of pink salt,1 tablespoon each of garlic powder,course black pepper,cayenne pepper,and red pepper flakes.

Actually the sticks are not dry. I even had a friend say they weren't dry enough. Sort of like a Slim Jim consistency only not greasy.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Are there any Smokers out on the market that you guys like? I am looking to buy one but have no idea where to start. Electric vs gas?

SHaRPS, Check out this website. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/ Tons of info for old and new smokers alike. Masterbuilt seems to be a very popular brand. Electric is a great way to get your feet wet in smoking because it easier to control the process. Lots of info on just about any kind of smoker.

Smoking foods is a great way to enjoy fish and game while waiting for ice.

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great info thanks!!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
It all looks delicious. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.