The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: icegator?????????  (Read 6532 times)

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
icegator?????????
« on: Sep 01, 2007, 11:55 PM »
not bagging on it but, is battery operated the way to go with below freezing temps and water? wouldn't just be as easy to pour gas as change batteries taking wrench's and spare batteries? just my thought on this new item. sorry if I offend sponsors or monitors.......
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline masterangler70

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: icegator?????????
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2007, 06:19 AM »
Good question however you dont need to take any tools or spare batteries. The batteries will drill around 100 holes on a charge and yes even when its cold. The batteries were made to be used in the cold. As far as water goes the unit is sealed anywhere water should not be. So no its not easier to use gas.......

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2007, 06:48 AM »
i am very much looking forward to an 8" model...the thought of no gas on my hands or in my vehicle is just awesome...spilling gas on my hands always ruins it for me   >:(   

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2007, 06:23 PM »
gas works as well on fish as DEET works on mosquitoes! I usually try not to fuel my truck before I go fishing, then I go to the lake and handle a stinky auger! ::) I try to always have "drilling gloves", but what a pain in the neck!!!!

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2007, 06:33 PM »
How heavy is this unit compared to a gas auger?
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2007, 07:35 PM »
I fill my auger with fuel at home and leave the gas tank at home, I have one auger and its all I need.  My Jiffy 10" can run almost the whole season on one tank.. 5 holes a day really does not burn a lot of fuel??  IMHO just a new fancy (expensive) gaget to break on you.  stick with what works for you thats my take.

Offline masterangler70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2007, 05:47 AM »
The unit weighs 21 Lbs total.
And your right to each his own when it comes to products. and if you like hard starting gas augers that leak fuel thats your perogative.

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 03, 2007, 08:39 AM »
MA, people are all gonna bag on your product 'til they see it in action.  I will stick with my gas auger but that's 'cause I already own one, but wouldn't hesitate to look at these if I was in the market for a new auger.  As far as how it performs in the cold - it seems to use gelcel batts just the same as a flasher would and they have never frozen up on me before so no problems there.  If your product can drill 100 holes an outing that's also more than I'd ever need.  Even when I am running and gunning I will rarely punch more than 40-50 into our frozen canadian lakes and rivers...

Can't wait to see this in action.  There's a stigma surrounding electric/cordless drill augers and I wanna see the reactions of the nay-sayers if this product is as good as it's touted to be.

D.

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2007, 12:33 PM »
where can i find info on a Ice gator? I've never seen one was trying to find one on the web with no luck not sure who makes them  ??? can anyone help?
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Scroll up to top of page. Click on icegator logo.                            Ron
Bobberstop

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2007, 03:55 PM »
Thank you .I never saw that . I also clicked on the vidio of it and downloaded it but nothing come up when i hit play I'm just not very good with a computer

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Hmmmm, same thing happened to me and I'm pretty comuter literate...  ;D

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2007, 11:21 PM »
Worked for me last week and I am on dialup. :embarassed:

Offline masterangler70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2007, 06:03 AM »
I checked the site this morning its working.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2007, 07:45 AM »
its funny   I got to the site on wifes computer  and the page and pictures and video worked fine   but my laptop and this brand new 3 week old computer wont load that page   and I thought I knew what I was doing >:(
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2007, 08:43 AM »
Ill stick with my jiffy. A tank of gas a year and is always running on the second pull no matter how long it sits.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2007, 08:54 AM »
Personally Im in the ideal position Ive been hand augering with strikemaster 6 and 8" for many years   and this is the year I will have a power auger    I want at least the 8" and if it is battery will make operating cost way cheaper esp If I can charge it with my solar panel / battery backup system I have for my house    and in a shack I really dont care for the fumes/ vapor    from a gas    but alas I think its gonna be pure economics what one I get  and choises are limited up here  so looks like a 10" jiffy from walmart  but still havent made up my mind

Offline Fredster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Personally I'm sold on it.  I have a 6" at home, but no longer sure of the brand.  I do know it cuts clockwise.  So assuming that's what's needed, I'm going to give one a try soon.  Batteries don't come with it, correct?

Fredster

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2007, 04:32 PM »
Two batteries, two chargers, drive unit and shaft adapter comes with it.            Ron
Bobberstop

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 06, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Two batteries, two chargers, drive unit and shaft adapter comes with it.            Ron
   I do have one question about the auger.  It seems if the shaft adapter comes loose from the drive unit you can lose your shaft adapter and auger down the ice hole.  Or is there something I can't see to prevent this? 

Offline masterangler70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2007, 12:51 PM »
The bolt through the adapter shaft is held in place with a lock nut. Havent ever had one come loose.

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2007, 01:24 PM »
The bolt through the adapter shaft is held in place with a lock nut. Havent ever had one come loose.
Ok. thanks for the info.  It looks like a nice product.

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:20 PM »
Personally I'm in the ideal position Ive been hand augering with strikemaster 6 and 8" for many years   and this is the year I will have a power auger    I want at least the 8" and if it is battery will make operating cost way cheaper esp If I can charge it with my solar panel / battery backup system I have for my house    and in a shack I really dont care for the fumes/ vapor    from a gas    but alas I think its gonna be pure economics what one I get  and choises are limited up here  so looks like a 10" jiffy from walmart  but still havent made up my mind
              mainehasmat:; My dad purchased a 8" jiffy Its great . we also had another 8" jiffy lasted 25 years and still drills holes we also purchased a new 10" jiffy it"s tough to use, walk"s all over the place and theirs nothing wrong with the blade.Just my oppinion jiffy makes a nice drill sorry if I offend any one who uses a 10" auger.. Jim

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Sep 07, 2007, 05:57 AM »
well after talking with someone in the group here that has ties to icegator and they have awnsered my questions I will be getting the icegator prior to the price increase as of right now         I think the electric will be safer for my use than the gas models with my bad leg  but they better include a hat  lol

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:16 PM »
The icegator I watched the video it was impressive but was wondering how will it do with the 8" drill. Will it drill less holes? because its easy to drill Through ice fast with a small DiA auger.anyone used one with the 8" auger? ???

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:28 PM »
The icegator I watched the video it was impressive but was wondering how will it do with the 8" drill. Will it drill less holes? because its easy to drill Through ice fast with a small DiA auger.anyone used one with the 8" auger? ???

you cant use it with an 8" auger...from what i understand they are working on one that will

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Thanks for the info it would still be great for pan fishing

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2007, 08:14 AM »
chatted with owner of comp    I bought one

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2007, 09:26 AM »
well if they come out with a 8 inch one that works just as well you can sign me up

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.