The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hinky ice at Boysen  (Read 2313 times)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Hinky ice at Boysen
« on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:47 AM »
     Going in at Trout Bay yesterday, Dogg and I noticed 2 things, first the ice from the bank to about twenty yards out didn't look all that inviting. Second, Cottonwood Bay is now pretty much alll open water. We chose a spot and I pulled Dogg and his sled 1/2 mile out and dropped him off near the old river bed. While I went back to the pickup for my gear, he cut our holes. On the way back to the pickup, I crossed over a spot where the ice cracked and gave...I goosed the Polaris and went on across, then stopped and looked back. Water was oozing up through the cracks. I avoided that spot on the way back to the holes. Hecuva fishing day, one of the hottest bites we've ever had. Got ready to leave, I packed up and told him, I'd be back after I unloaded my gear. When I got the the place where we originally went onto the ice, I saw a 9" crack w/open water beneath, although not deep, maybe a foot, I decided on another place where the ice looked good. It wasn't and in a heartbeat, the Polaris and I were buried in about two and a half feet of water with my gear floating all around us!  :woot: ...
      That's as wet and cold as I've ever been, but nonetheless, I succeeded in getting my gear back to the pickup (which was within whispering distance, that's the kicker!) and loaded. I called J-Dogg on the cell and told him what happened..it kinda busted me up knowing I caused him to have to make that long walk. Long story short, we had to winch the machine out. Fortunately they're pretty tough. It set there and idled perfectly the whole time it was in the water. By 8 pm it was loaded on the trailer and we were on the way home. No fun...and right off the scale of my o-crap-o-meter  :'( ...
     I don't usually advertise my goofs, but from now on anybody asks me about Boysen, I'd say, read this and decide for yourself, as for me and J-Dogg...it was the last wahoo!
      Here's the pic...not very good cause it was pitch black out there, but she was buried to the top of the fenders and surrounded by 6 inches of ice...no driving out of it...yes,  6 inches surrounding and four inches gave way and put us there! This isn't a great picture, but then, I wasn't in much of a picture-taking mood  ??? Thank God for how it ended, it coulda been wetter, colder and certainly DEEPER!

Offline wyohunter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hinky ice at Boysen
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:44 PM »
Just a little early to start trolling isnt it??? Glad to hear it wasnt any deeper than it was. Congrads to both you and Dog on your perch piles :)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Heckuva hot bite...all day long! Yep, no damage, but she's over at the NAPA place in a heated shop...drying out...temps are too low to let it set outside   :'(

Offline Hellsangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2007, 07:56 PM »
That is cutting a little close Ex Lt . Glad everything turned out fine . I watch some guys pull out a sled from the deep years ago and wouldn't want to go thru that . here is a pic of it and I had my 4 wheeler parked close by .  :woot:
Utah Ice

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2007, 08:05 PM »
Hey Ex-Lt, Glad it was shallow there. The ice here around Buffalo is still in decent shape. Probably the last trip with the kids for the year. That picture reminds me of all the Wheelers that went in at Fort Peck this year. Better get the Boat cleaned up

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2007, 09:34 PM »
Hey, thanks guys, yeppers, that happened pretty quickly...rascal rolled in on it's side and I had to prop it up so I could watch it slowly sink....Dogg was still out there on the ice, cranking those perch in  ;D

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:16 PM »
Glad to hear everything turned out for the best. But the up side is you caught fish. Now you just have to walk out there! Just take less stuff on a small sled. Still a great time to fish. Just use your head and be careful!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Sorry buddy, time for plan-B...over South Pass to Pinedale where the rock-solid ice is still 30 inches thick and the walk is shorter  ;D Did I mention we still have a place over there?...pilot light is on, just kick up the thermostat and stock the fridge...but brrrrrrrrrr!  ;D

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:13 AM »
Whew! Glad everything turned out alright for ya! Ain't much between what people call a good story and a tragedy ex-Lt... When I was at Keyhole the other day temptation almost got the best of me while looking at the tire tracks in front of me, and a couple of trucks on the far side of the lake. Better to err on the safe side... I walked.

~ G

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2007, 10:26 AM »
Hey, thanks Gambooler, yeah, that's me, I'm walking now, or going over to Pinedale  ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Polaris....ya can't kill 'em!  ;D  :clap: :flex: :whistle: Lord knows I tried...I went over and picked it up at that warm warehouse where it's been drying out (thawing so it could drip-dry is more like it.) Cranked it  up and drove her up onto the trailer, went for a ride when I got it home... :tipup:

Offline WyoZac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2007, 11:32 PM »
My boss told me they had a Polaris three wheeler they used for spraying weeds get caught up on the railroad tracks. They didn't get it off the track before a train hit it and scattered it about a hundred yards down the rail. :o They tipped what was left of the body over and it started after cranking it for only a couple of seconds. There pretty hard to kill. Ill never own any other brand as long as they keep makin em ;)
Zac

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2007, 09:16 AM »
Roger that Zac!  ;D

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2007, 03:34 PM »
too bad on the trip .. Glad your ok

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Thanks Mooter...20 degrees, wet to the waist, 3 ft of water is just plain wet and cold  :woot:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2007, 05:33 PM »
My boss told me they had a Polaris three wheeler they used for spraying weeds get caught up on the railroad tracks. They didn't get it off the track before a train hit it and scattered it about a hundred yards down the rail. :o

Still feel bad about this one... The other night, well morning around 1:30am, I was operating a train and hit a horse that was on the tracks just northof Glendo. About five of them were out and in the rightaway. Doused the lights and hit the horns to get them off the tracks and all but one scattered. Was doing 45mph and the engine shuddered when I clipped it. Weight of one of our engines??? Over 200 tons.

No tipping this ride back on it's feet and getting it started... Sorry.

~ G

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2007, 09:41 AM »
Whoa, tough break, I can tell ya feel pretty bad about that. Well, anyone who's interested, Cottonwood on Boysen is open from the Sissies all the way to and beyond the Odies and to the bank. I talked to Dave over at the Park Office and he said someone dumped a 4 wheeler at the Sisters th' other day too(other than me) ...hot spring. Also, the boat launch near the dam is open 1/3 way, good fer catching those big rainbows right now!
                                              LT out      ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.