The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: 33 Mile Road Ponds North of Casper  (Read 4882 times)

Offline rucadulu

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing is my preferred way of living.
33 Mile Road Ponds North of Casper
« on: Dec 08, 2017, 02:33 PM »
3 weeks ago I was out at a couple of the 33 mile road ponds North of Casper on County road 114 and they had started to ice up and the water level looked good. They each had about 50% ice cover and it was at least and inch thick at the bank. Has anyone else been out there over the last week or two to see if the ponds have a full sheet of ice on yet ?  I am think of heading out his weekend to see. Hopefully Camel Hump Reservoir and the others are read for for some ice fishing.

For those of you who have never fished the 33 mile ponds as of 2016 Wyo G&F News letter states the following about the 33-mile ponds and J-U, Texaco ponds.

"The past several springs have been kind to the ponds north west of Casper known collectively as the 33-mile ponds. Ponds that are currently supporting fisheries include Big Muddy (rainbow, cutthroat and largemouth bass), Sheepherder (rainbow and largemouth bass), Camelhump (rainbow and cutthroat), Greasewood (rainbow and cutthroat), Saltbush (rainbow and cutthroat) and Buffalo Bones (cutthroat). Water conditions look good again for 2016 so we will plan on stocking all the above mentioned ponds. We will have some brook trout available as well as rainbow trout this year so don’t be surprised to catch a brookie out there this fall or next year. If you would like more information about these fisheries or assistance locating them, call the Casper Regional Office."

"J bar U and Texaco Reservoirs are small reservoirs enrolled in the walk-in fishing program just east of I-25 near Kaycee. Both reservoirs lost their fish populations several years ago due to low water conditions and dam maintenance. We have since been re-building these fisheries and have stocked black crappie, largemouth bass and golden shiners. Green sunfish are present in both and we plan to stock channel catfish this spring."

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: 33 Mile Road Ponds North of Casper
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2017, 05:32 PM »
Welcome to the list, great first post!

Oops, all of your new list friends would like to know where in the US are you from?
Thread killer

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2017, 06:26 PM »
 ;DWOW! Now that's a first post! Welcome aboard and ditto WYIfish. I expect you're from around Casper by the detailed content of your post. Decades ago I got to fish around Casper fairly often and remember fishin a pond called Christina way west off of Poison Spider. The access got shut down. I heard it was 'cause of people leaving trash around. The Rainbows looked like little footballs! Ya ever hear of this pond and if so has the access changed?

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2017, 06:35 PM »
I was gonna post a picture of a bass that I caught out there this summer but forgot where we are suppose to transfer images?? Any help? The bass fishing was very productive out there this summer I was impressed.

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:49 PM »
Brook trout with largemouth bass?   Sure wish colorado CPW had that mentality with more of the mountain lakes.

Offline fishingeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2017, 08:13 PM »
I really wish I knew where all these small back water ponds were......

Offline WGFDcasper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2017, 09:00 PM »

Give me a call for info on the ponds 473-3415.  Or better yet, Get a copy of the "Midwest" BLM map and bring it by the Casper game and fish office and I will point them out to you.

Matt Hahn
Regional Fisheries Supervisor

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:02 PM »

Hit me up some time you can tag along. It's worth the drive. If any of you guys are on instagram I have pictures of the bass on there.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:05 PM »

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:08 PM »
For the doubters out there,sorry for the poor quality, I'll find a better pic. But hit me up we'll go pull a few of these through the ice.

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:33 PM »
I never knew Wyoming had bass ponds.    This is cool af to know.

Offline Codie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:35 PM »
Nice bass buddy...I live in Casper and am going out tomorrow..Tuesday....y ou want to meet up?

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Nice bass buddy...I live in Casper and am going out tomorrow..Tuesday....y ou want to meet up?
.   Yes sir I'd love to !

Offline Durtymax1533

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:53 PM »
I'm in Casper and I'm thinking about heading out that way tommorow is search of some hard water pond fishing. Has anybody been that way to see if there is any ice?

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:44 PM »
I can confirm safe hard water out there

Offline rucadulu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:18 AM »

If you get a BLM Midwest map and take it to Game and Fish office out off of CY ave. They will mark where all the ponds are at.

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:21 AM »
What are the roads like getting to these mysterious ponds?

:)

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:00 AM »
What are the roads like getting to these mysterious ponds?

:)
Matt,we went out last Sunday and they werent real friendly, I can imagine with another 6" of snow and 20 mph winds its probably really iffy sir!
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline rucadulu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:13 AM »
;DWOW! Now that's a first post! Welcome aboard and ditto WYIfish. I expect you're from around Casper by the detailed content of your post. Decades ago I got to fish around Casper fairly often and remember fishin a pond called Christina way west off of Poison Spider. The access got shut down. I heard it was 'cause of people leaving trash around. The Rainbows looked like little footballs! Ya ever hear of this pond and if so has the access changed?

Do you know if Christinas pond was just west of the Oil Camp Road turn off on the north side of Poison Spider Road ?  There is a good sized pond out there but I have never fished it.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:23 PM »
Hey there rucadulu! Been a few years and my memory isn't that good any more. Friends from Casper would go into this pond on the road south of Hiland I believe. I was mining in Jeffery City then and would come in from that side. Probably Gas Hills road. I really can't recall (hell, it was "'79 or '80) if it was off Poison Spider but I believe it was just a little east of the road South of Hiland. It was private land and I remember ya had to open a gate. I believe the game and fish stocked this private pond so owner had to grant access. True or not I don't really know. It was just what I was told. I only got to fish it twice but man, those were some impressive 'bows. I appreciate your interest and if ya find it give us a post! :thumbsup:Have a great season and take a kid fishin! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Offline Tr_23rohrbach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2020, 11:18 AM »
Looking to fish these ponds any help on how to gain access would be great.  There is no signs to help a guy out!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.