Author Topic: Jacktraps..Backwards?  (Read 3842 times)

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jacktraps..Backwards?
« on: Oct 15, 2005, 08:24 AM »
I just bought five new Jacktraps (26" Cross), and they just showed up yesterday.  Now, the quality seems first rate (much better than my Hertigage Lakers), but for some reason, the action just seems totally backwards to me. 

Not sure how to describe it, but every other tipup i've ever used, the spool (as your holding the tip-up and the spool is on the right of the vertical post) spins away from you to trip the flag.  On the Jacktraps, the spool will spin towards you to trip the flag.  Now this probably doesn't seem like a huge deal, but it just seems totally backwards.  Am i the only one that noticed this?  Again, they do seem very very nice..can't wait to rig 'em all up and use them!

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
Re: Jacktraps..Backwards?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2005, 08:58 AM »
might be ....used them for yrs then i prefer my HL when its sub zero tryin to hook that little ring on those jacks seemed to be pain...........maybe a left=handed trap????? what ever the case ...good luck and enjoy them!!!!!!
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2005, 09:22 PM »
 i have a couple big bobs and i like them alot. they can be a pain to hook the flag up but they are awesome quality. i always wind up winding the line on wrong at the beg. of the season untill i get used to them again. youll like them and they will give you many years of service. good luck!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:53 AM »
You put the line on going in wrong direction.  Unspool it, and wind it on the other way.
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline Duckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2005, 01:21 AM »
You put the line on going in wrong direction.  Unspool it, and wind it on the other way.

That's kinda what i was thinking... ;)
God, it's good to be in the frozen tundra!

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:00 AM »
I actually returned the jacktraps.  It really wasn't case of the line being spooled backwards, the trip mechanism was reversed, and there was only one direction to trip the flag.  Like i said great quality and good company to do business with.    Ended up getting more Heritage Lakers.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2005, 02:23 PM »
I actually returned the jacktraps.  It really wasn't case of the line being spooled backwards, the trip mechanism was reversed,

Hmm...  I didn't even know that was possible.   :-\
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2005, 05:53 PM »
Hmm...  I didn't even know that was possible.   :-\

When i say backwards, it was backwards from what i was used to.  My father stopped over at one point to give a second look at them and he came to the same conclusion..backwards.  Dunno, maybe I missed something really really simple.  It's difficult to describe without having them in front of you, but if you own a jacktrap, and have the tipup in your hand (with the spool on the right side), have the spool trip the flag.  Which direction do you turn the spool?  All my ancient tipups and the heritage lakers spin clockwise, the only way to trip the jacktraps i had were counterclockwise.  again, not putting them down, just differant.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:05 AM »
  It's difficult to describe without having them in front of you, but if you own a jacktrap, and have the tipup in your hand (with the spool on the right side), have the spool trip the flag.  Which direction do you turn the spool?  All my ancient tipups and the heritage lakers spin clockwise, the only way to trip the jacktraps i had were counterclockwise.  again, not putting them down, just differant.

i  was going to buy some jacktraps. can any other present owners confirm that they spool counterclockwise. is there no way to spool clockwise and have them work? seems odd?

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:01 AM »
 ::)the joke is on me ??? very funny
 you got me, relly confused now. because i just went and bought new heritage lakers ::) if you wind them by hand as im used to it works out fine; however if you use the knob on the spool, i had to wind backwards to get them to trip.
 if jacks are set to trip in reverse then if you use the handle on the spool things would work fine.
 so if you use the handle on the spool heritage are backwards, if wraped by hand there fine. but whats the handle for? to wind backwards :-\
 you see i also hold the trap in the left hand with spool to the right
   spool spins clockwise, wrap by hand clockwise, wrap with spool handle you have to spin spool counterclockwise.
 so if you use the handle on the jack spool you could wrap clockwise/ but it would have to trip backwards.
  so without buying jacks could someone tell me this make sence ??? ::) ???

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:05 AM »
::)the joke is on me ??? very funny
 you got me, relly confused now. because i just went and bought new heritage lakers ::) if you wind them by hand as im used to it works out fine; however if you use the knob on the spool, i had to wind backwards to get them to trip.
 if jacks are set to trip in reverse then if you use the handle on the spool things would work fine.
 so if you use the handle on the spool heritage are backwards, if wraped by hand there fine. but whats the handle for? to wind backwards :-\
 you see i also hold the trap in the left hand with spool to the right
   spool spins clockwise, wrap by hand clockwise, wrap with spool handle you have to spin spool counterclockwise.
 so if you use the handle on the jack spool you could wrap clockwise/ but it would have to trip backwards.
  so without buyin ??? ::) ???g jacks could someone tell me this make sence

Wow Rob-S, you have me really confused with that.. ;D   I never really use the little knobby thing, so i'm not going by that at all.  I would like to hear from someone else who's owned Jacktraps and H-Lakers to confirm my experiences.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2005, 12:14 PM »
All I can say is I just received two jack traps and they seem fine.  I played around with them and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.  I'm really looking forward to putting them to use this season.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Slacktide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:31 PM »
I have both. If you hold them so you are looking at the reel like the face of a clock you have to turn the heritage clockwise to trip it and turn the jack trap counterclockwise to trip it. I think the jack trap is very well made but it is the biggest pain in the butt to set. The colder it is the harder they are to set. I just had a hard time setting one inside at 70 degrees. There must be some trick to it I don't know about. Does anyone know the trick?

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2005, 06:41 PM »
I have both. If you hold them so you are looking at the reel like the face of a clock you have to turn the heritage clockwise to trip it and turn the jack trap counterclockwise to trip it. I think the jack trap is very well made but it is the biggest pain in the butt to set. The colder it is the harder they are to set. I just had a hard time setting one inside at 70 degrees. There must be some trick to it I don't know about. Does anyone know the trick?

Whew, i thought i was going nuts there on the reversed action.   I know what your talking about when you say it's hard to set, with that little circle thingy, right?  Can't offer any advice though, sorry.

Offline MikeF150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:55 PM »
I bought JackTraps last year & I know EXACTLY what you're saying about winding them backwards.....  it took me some time to get used to, but that's all the more reason to get out on the ice to practice... ;-)

If you use the little handle to wind them up, they work fine... I end up winding by hand to keep a little tension though.... after awhile, you don't even notice anymore...

Offline thor94

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2005, 10:52 AM »
I bought JackTraps last year & I know EXACTLY what you're saying about winding them backwards.....  it took me some time to get used to, but that's all the more reason to get out on the ice to practice... ;-)

If you use the little handle to wind them up, they work fine... I end up winding by hand to keep a little tension though.... after awhile, you don't even notice anymore...

Thanks for the reply Mike...   Maybe i should've kept them, but i guess i'm too old and set in my ways to change... ;D

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2005, 05:13 AM »
i bought a set of 5 bigbobs lastyear, loved them cought many a fish on them, not sure if they are backwards or not, being they are my first traps and hope to be my last. i just bought a set of the 26" tipups i love them the same.  i hope to have these be my first and only tilts bought!  i love them.. plain and simple, my buddy has some old noname tilts(think he made them from older tilts),  hes always chipping them outa the ice, mine  they pop right out..  gatta love the heavy coat of laquer tim puts on the traps!!  tightlines moose!
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.