Author Topic: Seeforlleen strain brown trout  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Iceman81

• IceShanty Rookie
Seeforlleen strain brown trout
« on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:36 AM »
Anybody know if ppl are running into any of those seeforlleen strain brown trout the state stocked a couple of years ago?

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
Re: Seeforlleen strain brown trout
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:44 AM »
Ct previously stocked that strain in Candlewood. When it was done consistently, that lake produced browns running up to 8 pounds. It wasn’t uncommon to limit out with an average size of 3 pounders with a couple of big football shaped fish.

Those days are gone. Will they return?  Maybe. The deep should probably use the trout stamp funds stock this strain. You would need to talk to people at our hatcheries, or possibly with one of our state biologists to find out what they are doing with stocking this fish.

Let us all know if you find any more information. Thanks.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline Iceman81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:41 AM »
Did the trout survive where they were stocked and possibly reproduce? I know they were released in waters that would support them. Haven't heard much in the following yrs they were stocked.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:53 AM »
That was about four years ago, right? I guess there's a chance that there's still some around. Only one way to find out!  :tipup:

Offline bowhunter095

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:09 AM »
The program is in the works, gonna take a few years to build it back up again.

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Seeforleen Brown trout are a very voracious strain of brown trout. They eat and eat and will devastate fish populations in what ever waters they are stocked. Worst was when they stocked West Hill. They nearly wiped out some other trout and seriously damaged the Kokanee fishery.
 From what I heard from some Ct. Biologists, it was a bad decision to stock this strain of Brown trout and they won't be doing it again. Pike is another fish that Ct is sorry to have stocked as they are not native, voracious, detrimental to other fish populations. Maine has a bounty on Pike and want all caught killed or left for eagles or coyotes.
Also these so called bucket biologists that stock certain fish in waters that never had them can and do serious damage to fisheries.
Please, please STOP this malicious practice!

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:48 PM »
Pure madness

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Seeforleen Brown trout are a very voracious strain of brown trout. They eat and eat and will devastate fish populations in what ever waters they are stocked. Worst was when they stocked West Hill. They nearly wiped out some other trout and seriously damaged the Kokanee fishery.
 From what I heard from some Ct. Biologists, it was a bad decision to stock this strain of Brown trout and they won't be doing it again. Pike is another fish that Ct is sorry to have stocked as they are not native, voracious, detrimental to other fish populations. Maine has a bounty on Pike and want all caught killed or left for eagles or coyotes.
Also these so called bucket biologists that stock certain fish in waters that never had them can and do serious damage to fisheries.

Go home, you’re drunk.

Offline bigpikekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:02 PM »
Where are they sorry to have stocked pike? You sound like a perch fisherman. A place like bantam would be over run with tiny white perch if not for pike, baitfish populatipn is doing just fine too, I can see them regretting the German strain trout but pike...
"No man is an icicle to himself, but each a piece of the whole cube."

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Go home, you’re drunk.

I need a stiff drink after reading that.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Love that reply Kierran.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:34 PM »

They did well in Candlewood and that lake supported them fine. Tons of biomass in alewives there. I agree that it needs to be well thought out, but Candlewood would be a great place to put them.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2019, 07:15 AM »
1st time a caught these was Bashen lake 8 years ago, maybe.  And a bunch since then, but not in bashen.   Thought I caught these last year, in a different lake, but definitely year before was my best year for them ???   IMO They seem to get fished out pretty quick.  Not real hard to catch because they eat like slobs (as mentioned.) 
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2019, 10:24 AM »
They put fifty adults in four lakes three years ago.  At west hill and highland prolly at least 25 percent were taken the first day by stocking truck chasers.  Twin froze solid like two days after they dropped them in and I only saw one boat out during that time, a bass guy that posted a video of getting one. Heard of a couple getting caught that winter but I got a few in the spring.  I usually throw a jerkbait when the water hits fourty-ish in the spring and catch some solid bass, but that spring after they stocked I got 3-4 of those up to 14 lbs.  since then I have not seen or heard much about them being caught. 

One guy from the state hatchery said in an interview if I remember correctly, that since they are so voracious, when you stock them young, with a big opening day, they are the first to the hook and end up having a higher mortality than usual because of that. 
Love to se the state stock those full sized ones again, but it wasn’t planned, they were sick or something and held over in the hatachery, but were not originally intended to be released so late, again if memory serves

groggyfrog

« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Any pix of caught?

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Got a ton, not sure how to post them.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:11 PM »

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2019, 03:16 PM »

Offline SLED HEAD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:46 AM »
 WOW!  :o Those are some great looking fish.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Thanks,  Yah some seem to be prettier than others.  That 1st one my son is holding was from cedar lake 6 yrs ago maybe,  big female she was really pretty, took him almost 15 minutes to land that one. Have that on video. The one with the fishing rod was really cool looking(probably my favorite.)  They were both released, kind of wished I mounted the 1st one, but something about catching stocked fish ruins the affect for me, at least after the point the pictures are taken.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:38 AM »
Thanks,  Yah some seem to be prettier than others.  That 1st one my son is holding was from cedar lake 6 yrs ago maybe,  big female she was really pretty, took him almost 15 minutes to land that one. Have that on video. The one with the fishing rod was really cool looking(probably my favorite.)  They were both released, kind of wished I mounted the 1st one, but something about catching stocked fish ruins the affect for me, at least after the point the pictures are taken.

Great fish. The fact that they are stocked never bothers the kids unless their opinion is influenced by an adult. So nice to see the next generation have great success. Looks like they are “Hooked.” 

Offline sts2113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Seeforlleen strain brown trout are gone. Due to budget cuts from the Malloy administration the program was cancelled in 2016. 50,000 remaining eggs were sold to the state of Maine. I also heard that there might be more cuts to the DEEP.

Offline sts2113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2019, 02:59 PM »
They were only stocked in Highland, Crystal, East Twin, Lake Wononscopomuc, The breeders where released in the smaller lakes. They did decimate the Alewife population in East Twin but they are pelagic feeders. They do not feed on Pan Fish and Bass.

Offline bowhunter095

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Only parts of your statements are true

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Only parts of your statements are true

Which ones? You know it all so why not give us the correct info?

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:22 AM »
They were only stocked in Highland, Crystal, East Twin, Lake Wononscopomuc, The breeders where released in the smaller lakes. They did decimate the Alewife population in East Twin but they are pelagic feeders. They do not feed on Pan Fish and Bass.

Kokanee are more commonly blamed for the shortage of alewives in twin.  They both compete for the same food, it’s not kokanee eating alewives is what I’ve been told.  Are you referring to earlier stockings (pre the 2015-16 one) because I think the state was originally stocking them wherever as stockies.   

Offline sts2113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Back in 2016 budget Malloy wanted to close Hatcheries. Everyone got pissed so he did not close them. What he did was shut down some of the programs within the Hatcheries. One of them being the Seeforlleen program. I talked to the DEEP about this and they were all pissed off because it was a great program and it was creating a unique Brown Trout Fishery.

[So we all banded together to save the Hatcheries and we got stabbed in the back by our politicians. The below statement is from the State of CT DEEP Web Site.

https://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/performance_reports/trout_stocking_2016.pdf

In late December 2016 and early January 2017, the last of Connecticut reared broodstock Seeforellen Brown Trout (avg. weight of 3-5lbs.) were stocked equally into each of Crystal and Highland lakes; 500 total. Due to fiscal constraints, the decision was made in 2016 to discontinue production of the Seeforellen strain from the Kensington Hatchery facility. The plan is to stock the remaining Seeforellen fry (~100,000 total) into rivers and streams during spring 2017 under the direction of the Wild Trout and Stream Monitoring jobs, after which this strain will no longer be available in Connecticut. The State of Maine has received fertilized eggs from Connecticut’s Seeforellen strain with the intention of starting a production program. It is the FD’s hope that, once the State’s fiscal climate improves, the Division might potentially be in a position to re-establish production of the Seeforellen strain, with eggs supplied from the State of Maine.

Offline sts2113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:38 AM »
Alewives were introduced into East Twin by the bucket brigade, and correct they out competed the Kokanee, in turn the state stocked the seeforlleens to combat the Alewife’s so they could re-establish the Kokanee program. I use to catch large Brown Trout in East Twin when they had the 16-21 inch slot. Again this is listed on the DEEP website.

Offline bowhunter095

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Some of those eggs were kept, the program is in rebuild. Also, there is a lake or two not listed where they were stocked.

Offline sts2113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:01 AM »
You are correct Saugatuck Reservoir that has limited access and no boats. That is why I did not mention it....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.