The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Blade Size?  (Read 2617 times)

Ice-Crack

Auger Blade Size?
« on: Nov 27, 2003, 07:54 PM »
I do alot of fishing for different fish including northerns, and I was wondering if you guys think I could get away with a 7 inch blade.  I currently have a 8 inch but am looking to upgrade to something that cuts a little better.  (I only use hand augers)  What do you think?  Is 7 cutting it too close?

grumpymoe

Re:Auger Blade Size?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2003, 08:50 AM »
last winter my buddy was fishing in a 10" hole and i had an 8"--caught a 40" northern female with a girth that was unbelievable-use my mitt in the mouth to pull it up--i think you should have no problem with the 7 inch blade 8)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2003, 12:54 PM »
I would guess that 7" would be OK. Of course a 20# fish will cause you some problems but maybe you can take your larger auger when fishing for pikes and smaller one for panfish. If you are planning on having 2 augers, you might even get a 6". Good luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Ice-Crack

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2003, 03:42 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I thought about taking both augers out there but with all the other stuff I have, I don't really want to be lugging around 2 augers.  I've got a Mora but I've heard the Lazers cut alot quicker so I'll be upgrading.  I'm just kind of torn between the 7 or 8 inch.  The northerns where I fish rarely get over 10 pounds.  But just watch....the second I drill a hole too small is when I'll catch a 20 lb plus northern.  The reason why I'm thinking of the 7 inch is because it cuts quicker than the eight.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2003, 03:15 PM »
check out the nils master 8" i got it and i love it.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Jbarker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2003, 04:08 PM »
I have fished with an 8" hole for the last 5 years and have caught some big fish. Including a few 15+ pound pike and one 22.3 lbs, lots of walleye around 10 pounds and one 12.82. You would be hard pressed to find a fish that won't fit through your 8" hole so you should have no problem with a 7" hole. Just my thoughts.
To Fish Or Not To Fish...What A Stupid Question!

MADTOM

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2003, 05:31 PM »
I own a 7" lazer and love it. Had it ten yrs. Easier to turn then the 8". My buddy has an 8. My 7 will cut 1/2 per turn if this is any indication on how well it cuts. Hole might be a little small but you decide. Just take care of the blades. They are very tempermental to any mishandling. Greese them at the end of the season. I'm just glad my wife couldn't get the 8" back then. Dealer only had the 7" and I wouldn't have it any other way now.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2003, 07:41 AM »
MADTOM
I use a 6" Nils outcuts anything out their and brought plenty of pike though it. If you have to you can drill to connect 2 holes which will give you a 6by 12 hole. although I've never needed it.
Cold Feet

Ice-Crack

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:45 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I went ahead and got the 7 inch blade.  I can't imagine having a problem with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.